Politeness

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Talking please don't infer that I meant Frank

was the person I was referring to as the nastiest I had met, it is just coincldental that they happened to have come from near him. It was an example of how one's hometown has nothing to do with rude or not, well maybe if you come from Minnesota being nice is just a foregone conclusion
Old 04-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Veteran member

I too did not mean to infer that NYC folks are rude. I really did not mean to infer that, and I am sorry if it looked that way.

I am a moderator on a very large Florida forum, (kind of like Tony and TalkHost here), and I am constantly having to deal with forum posters who lump all NY'ers the same and complain about all of us "city-slicker rude, too fast talking, etc, etc" people. It does get exasperating. For years I have heard as soon as folks knew you were from NY, they assume you are from NYC. Like the rest of NY does not exist. After decades, it wears on us western NY'ers.

When folks on the big Florida forum heard I bought a house in Florida, I quickly heard, "We don't want any more northerners, especially NY'ers.....and don't try to change us. Don't talk fast, and don't tell us about your pizza, etc,etc...."

THANKFULLY, everyone I've met in this area have been totally accepting and nice.

I guess it is basically wrong to paint any one group the same. As said already, there are good and bad folks anywhere.......and even the best folks have bad days, and even the baddest folks can be nice every so often.

One only has to look at The Villages to prove my point. Villagers are from everywhere......but collectively they are a nice bunch of folks. Proof that where we are from makes no difference......

Ironically, I just drove in from NY. Just got down here to my NY home this afternoon. I'm back down here for a month....then back to NY to sell my house and live here for good. I love how the air smells down here...the warmth, etc. I drove through a snowstorm yesterday in Pa. I now have a pair of shorts on....awesome.

In life it makes little difference where you are from. Treat folks nice, listen twice as much as you talk, and folks will treat you nice back.

Again, I did not mean to be disrespectful to NYC folks. I've met many nice ones. Some of them did not believe we had indoor plumbing up in western NY, but once I told them we really did they were great.....lol...

TRUE STORY....I was training with a bunch of NYC firefighters and I told them, "Yeah, we had a bathroom fire the other day....but we got there quick and put it out before it could get to the house".....more then a few of the guys believed me! It was great.....

Frank
Old 04-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulfrank View Post
I too did not mean to infer that NYC folks are rude. I really did not mean to infer that, and I am sorry if it looked that way.

I am a moderator on a very large Florida forum, (kind of like Tony and TalkHost here), and I am constantly having to deal with forum posters who lump all NY'ers the same and complain about all of us "city-slicker rude, too fast talking, etc, etc" people. It does get exasperating. For years I have heard as soon as folks knew you were from NY, they assume you are from NYC. Like the rest of NY does not exist. After decades, it wears on us western NY'ers.

When folks on the big Florida forum heard I bought a house in Florida, I quickly heard, "We don't want any more northerners, especially NY'ers.....and don't try to change us. Don't talk fast, and don't tell us about your pizza, etc,etc...."

THANKFULLY, everyone I've met in this area have been totally accepting and nice.

I guess it is basically wrong to paint any one group the same. As said already, there are good and bad folks anywhere.......and even the best folks have bad days, and even the baddest folks can be nice every so often.

One only has to look at The Villages to prove my point. Villagers are from everywhere......but collectively they are a nice bunch of folks. Proof that where we are from makes no difference......

Ironically, I just drove in from NY. Just got down here to my NY home this afternoon. I'm back down here for a month....then back to NY to sell my house and live here for good. I love how the air smells down here...the warmth, etc. I drove through a snowstorm yesterday in Pa. I now have a pair of shorts on....awesome.

In life it makes little difference where you are from. Treat folks nice, listen twice as much as you talk, and folks will treat you nice back.

Again, I did not mean to be disrespectful to NYC folks. I've met many nice ones. Some of them did not believe we had indoor plumbing up in western NY, but once I told them we really did they were great.....lol...

TRUE STORY....I was training with a bunch of NYC firefighters and I told them, "Yeah, we had a bathroom fire the other day....but we got there quick and put it out before it could get to the house".....more then a few of the guys believed me! It was great.....

Frank
A Villager at heart, if not at home.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Smile

[QUOTE=faithfulfrank;34497

Frank[/QUOTE]
-----------------------------
Oh, Frank.....I have to respond as a fellow Western New Yorker. I purchased land in St. James. A few weeks ago, my sales rep sent me an online video of what is going on in my area. I could see the street and some homes going up. What really stood out was the many Porta-potties on the street. There were orange ones and green ones. I was showing the video to my friends and I said I was very upset because I wanted a green Porta-pottie and they gave me an orange one. I told my friends that I love TV with one exception.....they don't have inside bathrooms- thus the Porta-potties. Well, maybe it's a good thing I'll have an orange one....easier to see when I get up at 2 AM!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Frank,

Some of the kindest most friendly people I have ever me have been from western New York. And I think what many folks see as rudeness in those from NYC, is just a symptom of the pace at which that city moves.

A little north-south story for Mr. Jgbama,

Our daughter went to Clemson (i.e. a tiger of a different stripe than whose with which you are most familiar). The day I moved her in broke a record for the hottest day with the temps above 104 (whew). The AC in the hallways was off as so many were in and out it would have just been a waste of energy.

Like many students, she and her roommate wanted to loft their beds. Her roommate's dad has a reserves weekend and my ex wasn't exactly helpful, so the moms figured out how to put the lofts together. Excuse this bit of male bashing - but we did read the directions. Many of the dads came in to check out our work and ask our advice.

After we were done and I headed out for a cold beer, one of the dads gave me one of the best compliments that I have ever received.... "Ma'am you have just revised my entire opinion of Yankees."

Bless his heart!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Bless his heart!
You must mean "Bless his pea-pickin' heart"... right?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Frank,

Some of the kindest most friendly people I have ever me have been from western New York. And I think what many folks see as rudeness in those from NYC, is just a symptom of the pace at which that city moves.

A little north-south story for Mr. Jgbama,

Our daughter went to Clemson (i.e. a tiger of a different stripe than whose with which you are most familiar). The day I moved her in broke a record for the hottest day with the temps above 104 (whew). The AC in the hallways was off as so many were in and out it would have just been a waste of energy.

Like many students, she and her roommate wanted to loft their beds. Her roommate's dad has a reserves weekend and my ex wasn't exactly helpful, so the moms figured out how to put the lofts together. Excuse this bit of male bashing - but we did read the directions. Many of the dads came in to check out our work and ask our advice.

After we were done and I headed out for a cold beer, one of the dads gave me one of the best compliments that I have ever received.... "Ma'am you have just revised my entire opinion of Yankees."

Bless his heart!
Loved it. Since I'm a Bama fan, I'll defer to the "Clemson Tigers". We refer to those other Tigers as "West Georgia Water Boys"!!

One thing we southern boys learned from our grand pappys was, never underestimate the power of the "women folk"!!

Don't y'all find it amazing on how fast we all can get angry on a topic, and in the next breath, give an attaboy or a smile to someone who needs one because they are having a bad hair day!!

Differences in opinions is what makes us all unique. Getting to like each other in spite of them builds friendships. I'm liking "youse guys" more and more each day!! "S-A-L-U-T-E-"!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Talking see this is the problem...

Quote:
Frank,

I think many of these folks have never really met a native NYC'er and base their opinions on how NYC people are portrayed on TV, the same is true of the south and open air plumbing, I guess these same people believe we are living amongst aliens and wizards,.......by the way, NYC bagels are the best as is the pizza
Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

It's all a matter of perspective... My German friends, who travel extensively internationally, told me the nicest people they ever encountered was in New York City!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
I think many of these folks have never really met a native NYC'er and base their opinions on how NYC people are portrayed on TV, the same is true of the south and open air plumbing, I guess these same people believe we are living amongst aliens and wizards,.......by the way, NYC bagels are the best as is the pizza
I think that people from heavily populated areas are meeting a lot of people from more rural areas in a personal way. At first...we may be feeling a little strange to each other.

Almost all of us have gone to New York to visit, but not many New Yorkers come to West Chester, Ohio on vacation or business.

We have different styles and different life experiences.

We seem different sometimes, but are we really? Do we have different expectations from each other? Do we think the other is dumb? Unpolished? Unsophisticated? Backward? Rude? Pushy? Wimpy?

That answer lies in who you ask and who answers honestly.

Show me someone who doesn't love the place they were born and raised and think it superior to others.

Show me someone who doesn't love the WAY they were raised and think it superior to others.

Whatever the case, here we are together until the fat lady sings.

Is she the fat lady from the Met or the fat lady from an Ohio farm?

P.S. Bagels are kinda hard and chewy. You must try some soft, fragrant yeasty rolls from OHIO!!!

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-08-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
BigLew,

My daughter's in laws are from Istanbul. They were really worried about their son marrying an American because of the crime and the divorce rate. They were afraid that they might never see their future grandchildren in the event of a divorce. To top it off I am divorced which worried them until they learned that my former mother in law and I talk frequently and that she spends Christmas Eve with us.

I agree that many don't form their opinions from experience, just from hearsay. Iowa Park - I disagree with you about accountability - for the same reason that I agree with Lew. NYC is huge to the visitor, but for those that live there it is an amalgamation of neighborhoods. Even on the trains, you frequently see the same folks every day with similar commute times. NY is a vibrant, energetic and hectic city.

Once folks from up north get here, they do slow down. But after spending much of your life in one place, just like your accent, you don't completely lose your pace of living.

Now Mr. Bama - be thankful that Army Guy is in TV without a PC or he would have words with you. And those of us from Massachusetts would never say youse guys - it might make someone think we were Yankee fans..

And the best pizza in the USA is still in the place that it was first introduced int his wonderful country...New Haven, Connecticut!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
Loved it. Since I'm a Bama fan, I'll defer to the "Clemson Tigers". We refer to those other Tigers as "West Georgia Water Boys"!!

Say whaaaaaaaaat!

Old 04-08-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Jgbama,
First, let me say that you don't talk funny. I understood every word you said.

Second, you and I are snowflakes. We don't necessarily come down for the winter, but we get here when we can.

Third, frogs are what we're gonna be one day. "Frogs" are here 'til they croak!

Ribbit (I'm practicing my ribbit)

-- Pturner (who took literary license in saying "here" since I'm not actually there-- i.e., in TV-- at the moment but only wish I was)
Thanks PT and Bill. Wow, I'm a snowflake and didn't know it. I'm practicing my "Bibbit" too.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
.......I'm practicing my "Bibbit" too.
"Bibbit": An alcohol-induced slurring of "ribbit" after spending a lengthy Happy Hour at one of the Squares, perhaps? Hee-hee!

Bill
Old 04-08-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
BigLew,

My daughter's in laws are from Istanbul. They were really worried about their son marrying an American because of the crime and the divorce rate. They were afraid that they might never see their future grandchildren in the event of a divorce. To top it off I am divorced which worried them until they learned that my former mother in law and I talk frequently and that she spends Christmas Eve with us.

I agree that many don't form their opinions from experience, just from hearsay. Iowa Park - I disagree with you about accountability - for the same reason that I agree with Lew. NYC is huge to the visitor, but for those that live there it is an amalgamation of neighborhoods. Even on the trains, you frequently see the same folks every day with similar commute times. NY is a vibrant, energetic and hectic city.

Once folks from up north get here, they do slow down. But after spending much of your life in one place, just like your accent, you don't completely lose your pace of living.

Now Mr. Bama - be thankful that Army Guy is in TV without a PC or he would have words with you. And those of us from Massachusetts would never say youse guys - it might make someone think we were Yankee fans..

And the best pizza in the USA is still in the place that it was first introduced int his wonderful country...New Haven, Connecticut!
I hear you loud and clear! My "youse guys" was just a friendly effort on humor, like many folks ask me, "Where y'all from"!! I've been to NYC, Connecticut, Mass., and Bangor, ME! Loved the area and people!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.