Political Forum

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2016, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Well, thankfully, one way or the other, it will all be over soon and then we can all go back to saying how awful the President is!

Life will goes on ad nauseum and some will be happy and some will be unhappy and there is absolutely NOTHING anyone can do about it!

My real concern in all this is the amount of money that is spent every four years to elect a President - I think I heard that it is going to be close to $10Billion. With that money we could wipe out hunger and poverty worldwide, it would go a very long way to defeating Isis and probably Terrorism in general which would be money well spent, a lot better spent than on an election every four years. But, that's just my foolish thinking

Have to add that it has been pleasant to have an almost normal discussion without it turning inflammatory.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Well, thankfully, one way or the other, it will all be over soon and then we can all go back to saying how awful the President is!

Life will goes on ad nauseum and some will be happy and some will be unhappy and there is absolutely NOTHING anyone can do about it!

My real concern in all this is the amount of money that is spent every four years to elect a President - I think I heard that it is going to be close to $10Billion. With that money we could wipe out hunger and poverty worldwide, it would go a very long way to defeating Isis and probably Terrorism in general which would be money well spent, a lot better spent than on an election every four years. But, that's just my foolish thinking

Have to add that it has been pleasant to have an almost normal discussion without it turning inflammatory.
I agree. And everytime I see an ad (and change channels) I think of the enormous amount of money that could be put to good use.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
My real concern in all this is the amount of money that is spent every four years to elect a President - I think I heard that it is going to be close to $10Billion. With that money we could wipe out hunger and poverty worldwide, it would go a very long way to defeating Isis and probably Terrorism in general which would be money well spent, a lot better spent than on an election every four years.
True, we'd certainly all like to see an end to world hunger and poverty which is dreadful.
But I do appreciate that in North America, we get a chance to vote on who governs us.
As a sidenote, can you believe that 100 years ago women weren't allowed to vote?
Old 10-09-2016, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
As a sidenote, can you believe that 100 years ago women weren't allowed to vote?
........... and think of all the women in the world that still cannot vote, cannot leave an abusive partner, cannot be educated. We are incredibly fortunate to live in a world where we can achieve anything. Now, on that note, I have to go do the dishes and clean up from dinner!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-10-2016, 04:51 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI SNOWBIRD View Post
I find it hilarious
LISNOWBIRD I do like wise.

I don't swear well only in my mind never from my lips and I try and avoid hateful and derogatory terms. So I find it curious when some posters goes off..."what could possible create such an unchecked emotional response?" Is this poster sincere, believes s/he is being playful, simply acting out or just mindless?????????? One thing is perfectly clear such posters keep missing the beat

The one advantage to Political Talk is that it breaks the monotony of some of the routine threads (ie poop round abouts etc. )
Old 10-10-2016, 10:09 AM
Eternal Member

I do read some of the Political Forum posts and some do start out as a pathway for logical discussion. However, within a couple of posts, they degenerate to name calling and worse.

The Political Forum should either be discontinued OR not be an anonymous "guest" posting. The removal of anonymity would take away the vast majority of vile bigoted posts that show up when talk of equality comes up.

Yes, there are First Amendment rights but that forum gives a bad outlook to those who may want to move to The Villages.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:41 PM

Many do not want to "discuss" politics, they want to "argue" politics.
Not a good way to exchange ideas.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
I do read some of the Political Forum posts and some do start out as a pathway for logical discussion. However, within a couple of posts, they degenerate to name calling and worse.

The Political Forum should either be discontinued OR not be an anonymous "guest" posting. The removal of anonymity would take away the vast majority of vile bigoted posts that show up when talk of equality comes up.

Yes, there are First Amendment rights but that forum gives a bad outlook to those who may want to move to The Villages.
sandtrap: The simple solution is to boot out the trolls. Admin has a policy of no personal attacks and all they need to do is follow their own policy and it will resolve the situation. I do not care about the usernames all being "guest"because I am responding to the posters comments not the poster.

Actually it makes it more objective. As you will note on the general forums friends usually take sides with friends. I prefer to speak to the comments. heck I often disagree with my wife and she's my best friend. We owe each other honesty.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:06 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post
jdmiata In my view politics has always equated with argument because in that mode we find passion and in passion we find commitment. The problem arises when argument is abandoned and replaced with name calling, especially when one believes name calling is their argument

Personal Best Regards:
Old 10-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Hmmm - political forum? why? Must be a boring place these days. I mean isn't it an off-election year and nobody is running for nuthin'?

Yes, I live in The Bubble. But that doesn't necessarily mean that I miss much news or such. I try to keep up with current events, but some may have slipped by.

Have no idea what you folks are talkin' 'bout.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post

So true. People have an option to show their screen names either though tapatalk, or like ColdNoMore and others who just say who they are. If you believe in your wo/man be proud.

God Bless America
Old 10-10-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post
You got that right! A while ago, I made a simple point, my only point and I was call an atheist! Nice huh! This is the Bible Belt. It has turned into, it's not all political views it's one view, and if you don't agree with that view don't let the gate hit you on the way out! Go back where you came from.
You are right this is all done under the name of guest, down at the Squares, everyone is pleasant enough, so you think what the heck. I just stay off the site!
Old 10-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts
Default 10 billion

Quote:

I wish 10 billion could wipe out worldwide hunger and poverty but I'm afraid you would find that amount of money a bit short.

I do agree the amount spent on election is way too much.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

My hat is off to the TOTV Team for upgrading the Political Forum...so that user names (and 'edit post' button) are now visible.

Hopefully, it's not just a temporary glitch.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Default I also just noticed that Political Forum threads & posts...

...now show up in 'New Posts.'

I'll have to wait and see, before I give an opinion on how that will work.
Closed Thread

Tags
political, forum, thinking, worst, place

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.