Political Forum Notice

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2018, 10:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
The suggestions of redwitch are excellent, but can be effective only if banning of offensive posters, after one warning, can be quickly implemented.

Taltarzac725 is correct that I once volunteered to moderate the political forums. A Moderator said the gesture would be relayed to the owners for a decision. I never heard anything further.

After volunteering to moderate the political forums I reviewed the multitude of offensive postings and realized moderating them by simply deleting the offensive posts would be ineffective because the hateful personal attacks were made in a frenzy of postings that would be extremely time consuming to review. Only banning the poster would be effective.

And with the technology of joining message boards using masked IP addresses, banning of posters is not fully effective in many cases because a new identity can be assumed by the offender. So the Moderator should have free rein to deal quickly with any posts that contain personal attacks on other posters. The political forums should be about discussing political issues, not insulting each other.

If there are no changes in the political forum when it returns, I will continue to avoid it.
It will be interesting to see what is still on the Political Forum when it returns. Some of us have put a lot of work on things that actually have some meaning to other people. More than just throwing insults at political figures and each other over our opinions about these political figures.

There should be some guidelines for decent discussions about politics if and when the Political Forum returns.

It might become more popular if they put in some referee or other person who can break up feuds especially when someone starts hitting below the belt.
Closed Thread

Tags
forum, notice, political, talkofthevillages.com, users

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.