Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Political Parties (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/political-parties-303471/)

Fred2016 03-05-2020 08:11 AM

Agree with you all the way. The Villages is a hot bed for the republicans so why go door to door. It’s in your face everyday.

Luvs21putt 03-05-2020 08:13 AM

Agree

I’m republican and I think that was awful. Will lose more votes than he gains. Super irritating. And, as someone said, it can be hard for some to get up and answer the door. Just STOP

arbajeda 03-05-2020 08:20 AM

How hard is it to just say "No thank you" and close the door? And if the person persists, "I will be as polite as you will permit me. Now please leave." Polite but firm.

Taltarzac725 03-05-2020 08:22 AM

I have only encountered political operators at the Villages' postal centers. And these are usually people talking about someone running in County or Villages' elections. And often it is the person herself or himself.

We have been here almost 15 years.

dmarti1973 03-05-2020 08:25 AM

I totally agree with you. One of the replies says he/she would not solicit anywhere in FL---boom. Depending on the location and who the solicitor was, it could be boom, boom, boom, boom etc.

Byte1 03-05-2020 08:30 AM

I have lived here for seven years and have only had a few instances where someone has knocked on my door or used the bell. It did not bother me that a representative from a local church was inviting me to visit, or a couple of landscapers that were soliciting work. As long as a political representative does not mind my discussion with him/her I do not take offense at the short interruption. I am hardly that busy and my TV has a "pause" button. It would not bother me, EVEN if a Democrat solicited my vote by knocking at my door. There are plenty of other things to worry about or concern myself over, so a minute interruption in my daily activities is not going to ruin my day. AND I have never been rude to someone that knocked on my door. I simply know how to say "NO" when I mean no. On the other hand, I do abhor spam and scam phone calls. But, that is another subject.
A knock at the door is a nothing burger, in my opinion.

mwpoet 03-05-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by largokid (Post 1724156)
We live in the Hillsborough area and this afternoon a person (Don) with Republican Party affiliations rang our doorbell to speak with the registered voters in the house. I am absolutely furious that someone with political affiliations would have the audacity to be going house to house to (I assume) collect votes for the Republican party. I don't care WHAT party is out there they shouldn't be coming to our home! We see enough of the ridiculous political fighting in The Villages in the paper, The Villages.com, etc. so we don't need more politics on my doorstep. My husband told the gentleman he wasn't allowed to "solicit" in The Villages but the guy replied he wasn't soliciting that "it was a political speech". GRRRR -- thankfully I wasn't home! I will get lots of flack about this posting but if it keeps the political party solicitors off my doorstep I'm happy!

PS: The Villages Office was particularly unhelpful in providing any method for stopping political peddlers.

You are so right. There is a huge Trump flag under an America flag in my neighborhood. No digs, no soliciting.

mwpoet 03-05-2020 08:33 AM

No signs, no hats in meetings should be the rule. No door to door!

Alana33 03-05-2020 08:39 AM

Put a sign on your door:
NO SOLICITING!

fdpaq0580 03-05-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1724169)
I'd rather talk to a Mormon missionary than some political camp follower.

Not me. With a lot of folks their religion is their politics and their politics is their religion. Narrow view, closed minded, my way or the highway kind of folks.

PugMom 03-05-2020 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigi3000 (Post 1724305)
Anyone that would be swayed by a door to door solicitor should NOT be voting. Just like that lady on the news who voted for Pete Bettigigi then found out he was gay and wanted to cancel her vote. Really? Seriously? Some people just shouldnt vote.

excellent point!:)

Taltarzac725 03-05-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 (Post 1724334)
Not me. With a lot of folks their religion is their politics and their politics is their religion. Narrow view, closed minded, my way or the highway kind of folks.

I have met a few people like that here in the Villages but not that many.

PugMom 03-05-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1724317)
I have only encountered political operators at the Villages' postal centers. And these are usually people talking about someone running in County or Villages' elections. And often it is the person herself or himself.

We have been here almost 15 years.

YES! or to get us to sign any kind of petition. i like to listen before i tell them to go away, lol.

DeanFL 03-05-2020 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1. Completely agree with OP

2. That said, ready oneself until Nov

3. Props to Posters for not degrading the Thread :BigApplause:

4. option>

PugMom 03-05-2020 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwpoet (Post 1724326)
No signs, no hats in meetings should be the rule. No door to door!

OMG, please! those rules sound like ones set by some kind of dictator, & i'm not sure i believe some of these posts. what's going to happen to you when a REAL crisis hits? a loved with with a sudden illness, or natural disaster. i assure you then the flags/hats/signs wont matter. waaaay too much griping going on here for me, see you all tmrw! oxo