Political Parties

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2020, 04:06 PM
Default Solicitation

I understand that there is a Florida State Statue "Title XXXIII" that states a permit is required from the state to solicit.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Sumter County Supervisor of Elections > Home

If you want something to be proud of look how many registered voters we have in Sumter County. The population in Sumter County is about 130K.
I would much prefer the opportunity to be proud of who those voters chose.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I find your post surprising. I can't imagine why anyone would try to get someone to vote Republican in The Villages. OR to get someone to VOTE in The Villages. We had one of the highest turnouts in the state in our little burg.

We have lived in The Villages for over a dozen years and not one soul has EVER come to talk to us from a political party.

I think if you are registered D or R, they leave you alone. If you’re a no party identified (I forget exact terminology), they come to convince you to come around to their way of thinking. I know this from experience.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by largokid View Post
We live in the Hillsborough area and this afternoon a person (Don) with Republican Party affiliations rang our doorbell to speak with the registered voters in the house. I am absolutely furious that someone with political affiliations would have the audacity to be going house to house to (I assume) collect votes for the Republican party. I don't care WHAT party is out there they shouldn't be coming to our home! We see enough of the ridiculous political fighting in The Villages in the paper, The Villages.com, etc. so we don't need more politics on my doorstep. My husband told the gentleman he wasn't allowed to "solicit" in The Villages but the guy replied he wasn't soliciting that "it was a political speech". GRRRR -- thankfully I wasn't home! I will get lots of flack about this posting but if it keeps the political party solicitors off my doorstep I'm happy!

PS: The Villages Office was particularly unhelpful in providing any method for stopping political peddlers.
That is just the way politics works. You better pack your bags and go fight in Congress-not that they would listen- your point is moot! Sorry!
Old 03-06-2020, 06:19 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

Love2Swim, what restaurant was that ? which square ? all january, we didn't find any food/restaurants that great to be ruined by an approaching interloper
Old 03-06-2020, 08:18 AM

Free Speech that is why
Old 03-06-2020, 08:53 AM
Default America - is this a great country or what !

Quote:
Originally Posted by largokid View Post
We live in the Hillsborough area and this afternoon a person (Don) with Republican Party affiliations rang our doorbell to speak with the registered voters in the house. I am absolutely furious that someone with political affiliations would have the audacity to be going house to house to (I assume) collect votes for the Republican party. I don't care WHAT party is out there they shouldn't be coming to our home! We see enough of the ridiculous political fighting in The Villages in the paper, The Villages.com, etc. so we don't need more politics on my doorstep. My husband told the gentleman he wasn't allowed to "solicit" in The Villages but the guy replied he wasn't soliciting that "it was a political speech". GRRRR -- thankfully I wasn't home! I will get lots of flack about this posting but if it keeps the political party solicitors off my doorstep I'm happy!

Join them - get out of the house and volunteer. Canvasser have been going from house to house for years and years. It's the American way. Get out and vote as well. If living in a hut with a mud floor and an AK-47 on your hip is more your style - best of luck in the third world country of your choice.

PS: The Villages Office was particularly unhelpful in providing any method for stopping political peddlers.
Join them - get out of the house and volunteer. Canvasser have been going from house to house for years and years. It's the American way. Get out and vote as well. Thank you , but no thank you always works for me. If living in a hut with a mud floor and an AK-47 on your hip is more your style - best of luck in the third world country of your choice.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
I think if you are registered D or R, they leave you alone. If you’re a no party identified (I forget exact terminology), they come to convince you to come around to their way of thinking. I know this from experience.
I was unaffiliated until last month. No one ever bothered me or sent me mail or knocked at my door.

So far, no one's sent me any mail even now that I'm declared. I just wanted to vote in the Democratic primary this time around, it's the only reason I declared at all. I'll go back to being unaffiliated once all this is over.

Political parties are horrible. All of them (since some people are under the false impression that there are only two).
Old 03-06-2020, 09:44 AM

OMG... calm down. Good grief😩
Old 03-06-2020, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,644 Times in 1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
If your are the big winner they would probably send Steve Harvey to tell you that you won. Or someone like him.
You probably don't want Steve Harvey knocking at your door. He would likely have gotten the address or your name wrong.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

I always laugh when I hear a politician say that they can "bring the Country together". I just don't think that will happen anytime soon.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:14 AM

Wow! What about the poor guy or gal running to be your CDD representative? This is the person representing YOUR Amenities, utilities and more! I’m planning on running for one of the 3 District 12 representatives that will be elected in 2022 and I PLAN to go door to door so residents can meet me and correspond. Talk to you soon. Thanks!

Last edited by dwhite5773; 03-06-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:52 AM

Does the OP understand the legal difference between solicitation versus political speech...I think that's what they meant to say, not, "... make a political speech. ... ."

Hopefully you're now educated on this topic and you have more pleasant encounters as im sure you'll get more phone calls and visits until August or even November.

If you don't want anyone knocking on your door or ringing your doorbell other than for offical business, then put a sign up at your door.... Otherwise, if you do answer the door, be a respectful person and politely refuse. Finally, another solution is don't answer the door and they'll most likely move on to the next house in under 20 second.

Last edited by DanishAndScottish; 03-06-2020 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Didn't compete 1 sentence.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:13 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcgowan View Post
Join them - get out of the house and volunteer. Canvasser have been going from house to house for years and years. It's the American way. Get out and vote as well. Thank you , but no thank you always works for me. If living in a hut with a mud floor and an AK-47 on your hip is more your style - best of luck in the third world country of your choice.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:52 PM

Good for you.
Closed Thread

Tags
political, party, villages, house, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.