Political Posts

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2020, 11:35 AM
Administrator
Default Political Posts

We appreciate all the support and participation on TOTV! Over the past 12 months the traffic to the website has nearly doubled! With 2020 being filled with so many topics users are passionate about we wanted to remind everyone of the rule in the terms of service each user agreed to when they signed up for a user account on TOTV.

Political discussion or references are strictly forbidden on Talk of the Villages and this would include but not be limited to mention of political parties, political individuals or any political topics. Moderators and Administrators retain the right to use their discretion and any politically related or implied thread or post will be removed. If a user continues to disregard this rule then the user account will be issued infractions/suspension.

Obviously moderators are not 24/7 on the website so it may take a few hours to address a reported post, but be advised that any violation of the site rules can lead to infractions on your account and ultimately an account suspension.

Our goal is to never have to moderate a thread or post and to have maximum participation. But the rules have been established and every user has agreed to them and the moderators will work diligently to apply across the site for the purpose of everyone's enjoyment on TOTV.

Thanks in advance!

TOTV Team
Old 07-31-2020, 11:41 AM
Veteran member

What about the Trump add in the banner right above your post. Media fair with Trumps picture seems political to me.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:56 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
What about the Trump add in the banner right above your post. Media fair with Trumps picture seems political to me.

I don't see it. Of course I use ad blockers and cookie blockers, etc. It makes everything so much better online.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:06 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

Quote:
I have never noticed a political ad on this site, ever.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-31-2020, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Have seen it before but not there now.

However somebody has to pay for the site.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I have never noticed a political ad on this site, ever.
A political survey of Trumps approval rating is shown on header pages all over TOTV. Open you eyes!

President Trump Weekly Approval Poll | Make America Great Again

Last edited by swooner; 07-31-2020 at 12:30 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-31-2020, 12:28 PM

Makes the whole site boring.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,221 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
A political survey of Trumps approval rating is shown on header pages all over TOTV. Open you eyes!

President Trump Weekly Approval Poll | Make America Great Again
I use an ad blocker and don't see any ads. I turned it off and all kinds of google ads popped up so your complaint is with google. Get an ad blocker and lower your blood pressure.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

It would be helpful if the moderators gave much more concrete guidance. If you cannot mention a politician, how are there threads about Herman Cain? or John Lewis?
If you can't mention anything that might be political how about all the threads attacking BLM or athletes for supporting BLM?
Can you honestly say that hydroxychloroquine is not now a political topic? Or the deaths in Florida from Covid?
Or deaths in Chicago? Or immigration and DACA? Or the Police? Or all the attacks on the mainstream media which stem almost exclusively from one side of the political aisle?

So more guidance would be helpful especially to avoid any appearance that the moderators might be censoring one side more than the other.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:14 PM

Money talks.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Please clearly define what is considered "political" for this website, right now it all seems arbitrary.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 07-31-2020, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,418 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
It would be helpful if the moderators gave much more concrete guidance. If you cannot mention a politician, how are there threads about Herman Cain? or John Lewis?
If you can't mention anything that might be political how about all the threads attacking BLM or athletes for supporting BLM?
Can you honestly say that hydroxychloroquine is not now a political topic? Or the deaths in Florida from Covid?
Or deaths in Chicago? Or immigration and DACA? Or the Police? Or all the attacks on the mainstream media which stem almost exclusively from one side of the political aisle?

So more guidance would be helpful especially to avoid any appearance that the moderators might be censoring one side more than the other.
I agree. I started to comment on the "Trust the Trust Act" thread, but then withdrew my comments because the OP named two senators. But, I see that the thread is still open and people are posting to it. Why?
Old 07-31-2020, 01:31 PM

This site is riddled with political ads. Your ad blocker must be working.

QUOTE=manaboutown;1811239]I have never noticed a political ad on this site, ever.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-31-2020, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

Easy to know.
If you haven't been contacted by a moderator on what you have been posting or posted then one is doing OK?
Old 07-31-2020, 02:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote:
They really have no control over some of the ads. They basically sell space to an advertising company who then populates ads based on browsing history.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Closed Thread

Tags
account, moderators, political, totv, user

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.