Political Posts

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2020, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTV Team View Post
We appreciate all the support and participation on TOTV! Over the past 12 months the traffic to the website has nearly doubled! With 2020 being filled with so many topics users are passionate about we wanted to remind everyone of the rule in the terms of service each user agreed to when they signed up for a user account on TOTV.

Political discussion or references are strictly forbidden on Talk of the Villages and this would include but not be limited to mention of political parties, political individuals or any political topics. Moderators and Administrators retain the right to use their discretion and any politically related or implied thread or post will be removed. If a user continues to disregard this rule then the user account will be issued infractions/suspension.

Obviously moderators are not 24/7 on the website so it may take a few hours to address a reported post, but be advised that any violation of the site rules can lead to infractions on your account and ultimately an account suspension.

Our goal is to never have to moderate a thread or post and to have maximum participation. But the rules have been established and every user has agreed to them and the moderators will work diligently to apply across the site for the purpose of everyone's enjoyment on TOTV.

Thanks in advance!

TOTV Team
There is very little that this bunch can't turn into a political debate. You'd have better luck herding cats..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-31-2020, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
There is very little that this bunch can't turn into a political debate. You'd have better luck herding cats..
funny
Old 07-31-2020, 03:42 PM
Veteran member

Here's what I do, for whatever it's worth -- (1) sit on my hands and don't respond to comments or threads that espouse political beliefs, and (2) click the report option and trust the mods to use their best judgement.

There are many topics that have taken on political overtones but it's still fairly straightforward to just stick to the subject. If no one rises to the bait, an inappropriate or off-topic comment becomes a non-issue.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:08 PM

Why can’t you have a political forum? If members do not want to deal with such issues, stay out. Some of us are not tender flowers and enjoy a discussion of issues. I am not afraid of someone who believes differently from me.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Our sub forum "News and Current Events" is nice to have but it has one problem. If political people or subjects are not allowed to be discussed in the forum, then that leaves pretty much NOTHING to discuss. Let's face it......nearly 100% of our news and current events these days deals with political issues. I honestly feel the "News and Current Events" sub forum is very difficult to navigate to remain "legal" according to the guidelines and rules of TOTV.

What news and current events subject matter is there to discuss if it can not be politicized? How about .........hmmmm........can't think of anything.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

I don’t care how hard you try some will get there political agendas in there posts. Then when somebody calls them out they get reprimanded. IMO just delete the post or posters pushing their agenda?
Old 07-31-2020, 08:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
A political survey of Trumps approval rating is shown on header pages all over TOTV. Open you eyes!

President Trump Weekly Approval Poll | Make America Great Again
I never have seen a political ad here. Their ad provider uses your previous computer searches and your cookies to show you what they have determined you are interested in. It's like that all over the web.

LOL, now that I have said that I will likely be bombarded. I do not use an ad blocker because they cause problems with many web sites.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Our sub forum "News and Current Events" is nice to have but it has one problem. If political people or subjects are not allowed to be discussed in the forum, then that leaves pretty much NOTHING to discuss. Let's face it......nearly 100% of our news and current events these days deals with political issues. I honestly feel the "News and Current Events" sub forum is very difficult to navigate to remain "legal" according to the guidelines and rules of TOTV.

What news and current events subject matter is there to discuss if it can not be politicized? How about .........hmmmm........can't think of anything.
"Hmmmmm" is now my favorite response.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:27 AM
Default Political ads and messages

These political ads or political messages are what TV arbitrarily decides they are
Old 08-01-2020, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
What about the Trump add in the banner right above your post. Media fair with Trumps picture seems political to me.
Where? Media fair? What an oxymoron.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:46 AM

You gave yourself away with the heart felt attacks against your beloved fake news . Now that’s funny!
Old 08-01-2020, 05:48 AM

It’s impossible do due what you ask . The site would never have enough interest in viewing.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:48 AM

You are getting a lot of people from The Village News. The moderator’s (a new company they just put in) are questioning a lot of our posts asking us if we are sure we want to say what we are saying. On my part no cussing, no name calling, no racism just the virus and politics.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:04 AM

Its too bad that you allow provocative posts that quickly turn into political responses. Its the same people almost daily who get away with it. I can't help but to think that you allow this on purpose
Old 08-01-2020, 06:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

I agree it would be interesting to have a forum specifically for political topics. I understand this forum is supposed to be about lovely Villages life, but as a democracy, politics is what drives and affects our society. We need to be able to keep talking about it in my opinion.
Closed Thread

Tags
account, moderators, political, totv, user

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.