Pondering PODS

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Question Pondering PODS

Just wonering if we use PODS to move if one can be parked in the steet while unloading. I'm not sure I would want to park it (or a truck for that matter) on a freshly poured driveway.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Default POD and car on driveway - designer home

I moved in on Oct 8, 2009. Had 2 PODs to unload but had to bring them in one at a time. The info below applies to a designer home driveway.

The POD delivery truck does not come onto your new driveway. It parks in the street and the carrier rack unloads the POD and drives the POD onto your driveway. They can set it down very gently onto the driveway.

Ask the driver to set the POD as far right on the driveway as possible without rolling the carrier rack over the sprinklers. They can set it within about 3 feet of the right driveway edge. I was able to pull my car in on the left side of the POD. You should be able to get both your car and your POD on the driveway at the same time.

Good luck with the move.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:17 AM
Sage

It only takes concrete 11 days to reach 80% of its design strength, so the weight spread out over the area of a pod should be no problem.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You ...CANNOT park a POD on the street...VIllage Watch will make you move it. YOu are also allowed only 72 hours to have a pod parked in your driveway and Village Watch will take note of when the Pod was delivered.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

We are using a 16' PODS for our move and I've been a little worried about it fitting in a CYV driveway. I called a Village site rep and he said that it would fit. But in my "trust, but verify" frame of mind, I'd like other opinions on this. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks to all for this great info!
Old 05-19-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
We are using a 16' PODS for our move and I've been a little worried about it fitting in a CYV driveway. I called a Village site rep and he said that it would fit. But in my "trust, but verify" frame of mind, I'd like other opinions on this. Thanks.
We used a 16' POD this past December to move most of our stuff into our villa in Summerchase. We had no problem fitting the POD, but we didn't have any place to park while it was in the driveway. BTW, our POD was delivered before we got there due to the holidays. They dropped it off on Friday (Christmas eve), we arrived the next day (Christmas) and they picked it up on Monday. Hubby and I moved everything into our villa ourselves using some rolling movers' "skateboards".

N. Reading, MA; Hampstead, NH; last stop SummerChase Cottages,TV!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Default pondering pods

The forklift they use to drive the pod in your driveway will make the first tire marks in your driveway. I found that "snow cap" product available at ACE Hardware removes the tire marks very easily.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandj View Post
We used a 16' POD this past December to move most of our stuff into our villa in Summerchase. We had no problem fitting the POD, but we didn't have any place to park while it was in the driveway. BTW, our POD was delivered before we got there due to the holidays. They dropped it off on Friday (Christmas eve), we arrived the next day (Christmas) and they picked it up on Monday. Hubby and I moved everything into our villa ourselves using some rolling movers' "skateboards".
Thanks Kandj, that makes me feel much better. One less thing to worry about.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Gold member

What the heck is Village Watch? You mean people go around the neighborhoods looking for things to report? Give the guy a break...so what if he has it parked in the street for a few days? They are PUBLIC streets, aren't they?
Old 05-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
What the heck is Village Watch? You mean people go around the neighborhoods looking for things to report? Give the guy a break...so what if he has it parked in the street for a few days? They are PUBLIC streets, aren't they?
Here's a bit of info about Community Watch:

http://www.districtgov.org/departmen...ity-watch.aspx

Bill
Old 06-03-2011, 03:01 PM
KittyKat
Thumbs down Lawn Police

Quote:
Yes, ladydoc. I call them the lawn police. Shortly after we moved in Mom put a silver gazing ball in our courtyard (Amarillo). We have an oversize lot so it isn't like we are close to the street plus there are holly bushes in front of it. Well you would have thought we placed a huge spotlight there because the next day the lawn police slammed on his brakes and strode up the driveway to tell my mom that she could not have that there. He told her that if he let us have one that before you know it EVERYONE will have one on the street!!! On the way up the driveway he noticed a little (6") ceramic frog sitting in the courtyard corner next to the garage door opening & included this on the prohibited list. (it now sits on top of a limestone rock in the courtyard).
Old 06-04-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
Yes, ladydoc. I call them the lawn police. Shortly after we moved in Mom put a silver gazing ball in our courtyard (Amarillo). We have an oversize lot so it isn't like we are close to the street plus there are holly bushes in front of it. Well you would have thought we placed a huge spotlight there because the next day the lawn police slammed on his brakes and strode up the driveway to tell my mom that she could not have that there. He told her that if he let us have one that before you know it EVERYONE will have one on the street!!! On the way up the driveway he noticed a little (6") ceramic frog sitting in the courtyard corner next to the garage door opening & included this on the prohibited list. (it now sits on top of a limestone rock in the courtyard).
Here we go again!
Old 06-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Village Watch can't really do a thing about a public street.
It's not enforceable, period, regardless of how the restrictions read, that's a fact.

Just be courteous and get it in and out as fast as reasonable.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
OMG I am still laughing....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.