Pool leveling..where do you discharge your water?

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2021, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric View Post
All pools have an autofill device which has a 1 inch vertical standpipe inside fixed at the proper level of the pool water. When the level gets too high from rain, it overflows into this standpipe out into the side yard. Even with a heavy rain, the outflow is very modest, similar to a garden hose turned on low flow.
Mine doesn’t.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Mine doesn’t.
An auto-fill is different from an overflow device. And you're right Bogie, not all pools are built the same. Some have one, the other, or both. Or neither.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:31 PM

You should use one of those flat drain hoses you unroll. Roll it to your curb and drain as needed.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeroger View Post
If repair is needed, T&D drains the pool directly into the storm drain. I have seen this done several times in our neighborhood. Most of the pools in my neighborhood are at least 16,000 gallons.
That’s status quo for TD. I drained to the street when I needed to replace the pool water.

By the way - the fire department will not fill ur pool. It took 24 hours of domestic water to fill out pool.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcarwilly View Post
Lot of rain lately..do you pool owners discharge down your driveway to the street drains, discharge into your yard or?
Check you skimmer. Mine has an overflow tube that feeds directly into the lanai drain system that drains into my grass. In overflow situations, there's much more water going into the drain system from the lanai surface than from the pool overflow. Any chemicals being discharged from the pool are diluted considerably from the water from the lanai surface. I've never had any damage to the grass near the discharge area.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:01 PM

[QUOTE=lkagele;1983182]Check you skimmer. Mine has an overflow tube that feeds directly into the lanai drain system that drains into my grass. In overflow situations, there's much more water going into the drain system from the lanai surface than from the pool overflow. Any chemicals being discharged from the pool are diluted considerably from the water from the lanai surface. I've never had any damage to the grass near the discharge area.[/QUOTE

What is your overflow level..our normal happy pool level is 1/2 way up the skimmer port.Is that where yours starts to auto drain? After todays hard rain our pool level is at the top of the skimmer port.I will research overflow and see what we have or don't have. It is a Pentair unit. Edit: had the full length of deck drain caps off a while ago to clean but didn't see any tie in...but then again i wasn't looking for it either.

Last edited by boxcarwilly; 08-04-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:45 PM

[QUOTE=boxcarwilly;1983737]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagele View Post
Check you skimmer. Mine has an overflow tube that feeds directly into the lanai drain system that drains into my grass. In overflow situations, there's much more water going into the drain system from the lanai surface than from the pool overflow. Any chemicals being discharged from the pool are diluted considerably from the water from the lanai surface. I've never had any damage to the grass near the discharge area.[/QUOTE

What is your overflow level..our normal happy pool level is 1/2 way up the skimmer port.Is that where yours starts to auto drain? After todays hard rain our pool level is at the top of the skimmer port.I will research overflow and see what we have or don't have. It is a Pentair unit. Edit: had the full length of deck drain caps off a while ago to clean but didn't see any tie in...but then again i wasn't looking for it either.
Yes, my drain tube is about 1/2 way up from the top of the skimmer basket.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:01 AM

When pool maintenance companies drain water out of a pool they don't run a hose to the nearest retention pond, they run their hose to the street so the water will go down a storm drain. But, where does the water from the storm drain go? Into the nearest retention pond, the same as all the rainwater that enters the storm drains. When the chlorine in the pool water contacts the high level of organics in the retention pond water it is immediately neutralized.

If we take the surface area of all the swimming pools in The Villages and divide it by the total surface area of The Villages property we could calculate the theoretical maximum percentage of swimming pool water overflowing into the retention ponds and the percentage by which it is raising the salt content of the ponds. We would see that the salt from the pools is diluted with quadrillions of times more rainwater. Rainwater, is essentually distilled water, but in Florida, especially in coastal areas there is some salt content in rainwater. The amount of salt in our rainwater will vary with weather conditions and these variations will totally outweigh the infinitesimally small amount of salt added from overflowing swimming pools.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Our pool is also an auto leveler. I discharges out into our back yard. Anything growing near the discharge gets killed by the salt water. I built a trench with a landscape barrier on either side that channels all the water under the fence bordering the overgrown wildlife preserve in our back yard.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
Apparently it isn't so normal here. See all the responses from people that have never needed to. Where are all the responses from people who have had to do so?
(I'm not dumb, and I'm not your friend)
To quote Mark Twain. Something like, we do not make any progress because we loose what was. For far to many they have lost MANNERS and or good taste.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:13 PM

assuming its a swimming pool it will have a filtration system right? You occasionally have to back wash your filter am I correct ? If so were does the water go ? When my pool gets a lot of water from heavy rain I back wash the filter which drains out the excess water
Closed Thread

Tags
discharge, pool, driveway, yard, drains

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.