Pool maintenance?

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2018, 04:28 AM
Default Pool maintenance?

Thinking of putting in a pool. Opinions needed on whether to maintain the pool myself or hire it out. What is involved with maintenance and how often (will be under a lanai). If you have someone come out, who do you reccomend? How often? Cost?
Old 05-14-2018, 06:14 AM
Gold member

We have had both a fresh water and salt water pool here in TV, both maintained by T&D weekly. IMHO, the salt water pool is the easiest to take care of, using less chemicals after the water is tested each week. Maintenance cost is about $30 a week.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 05-14-2018, 07:47 AM

If you are at all handy, you can save a good chunk of change maintaining yourself. You can take water sample to T&D locations free of charge and they tell you what chemicals are needed to keep ph and chlorine levels in line. Weekly you should brush tile water lines and vacuum. If you were to get an algae bloom T&D has product to add that cleans it up quick. Monthly need to clean filter, which is just hosing it with water. My estimate of doing self maintenance is annual savings of roughly $900.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlhig View Post
Thinking of putting in a pool. Opinions needed on whether to maintain the pool myself or hire it out. What is involved with maintenance and how often (will be under a lanai). If you have someone come out, who do you reccomend? How often? Cost?
TandD maintains our salt water pool for $26 a week.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

We have a newer salt water pool installed and maintained by T&D (for $112.70 per month). I have watched what the pool guy does for maintenance and it would be very easy for us to do it ourselves if we lived in the Villages full time. The only tricky part with a salt water pool is that the salt chlorination process creates alkinality, so the water PH needs to be balanced with muric acid. Muric acid is nasty stuff (before it is added to the pool and diluted) and needs to be handled very carefully.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

I service my own salt water pool. Very easy to do. I would suggest you do it yourself and if it becomes a problem, then hire someone. It is not rocket science. And the folks at T & D will help to solve any problems. In seven years I have had one green pool event...with easy fix.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We have a newer salt water pool installed and maintained by T&D (for $112.70 per month). I have watched what the pool guy does for maintenance and it would be very easy for us to do it ourselves if we lived in the Villages full time. The only tricky part with a salt water pool is that the salt chlorination process creates alkinality, so the water PH needs to be balanced with muric acid. Muric acid is nasty stuff (before it is added to the pool and diluted) and needs to be handled very carefully.
I agree with tophcfa, I had a bad experience with Muratic acid, even though this was kept in its original container, vapors leaked out, and damaged equipment, drywall and concrete that were below the container. Be very careful how you store this stuff.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:20 AM
Veteran member

Having never had a pool before moving to TV, I would never attempt to take care of it myself. For $108 a month, T&D does everything, including all the chemicals. My guy Ray is fantastic, spending a minimum of 1/2 hour a week at our pool. Always sparkling. I do not have a salt water pool. My pool would be green in a week if I attempted to take care of it. It is great when you get off the golf course in the Summer and (after hosing myself off) jump in the pool. Not a fan of outdoor kitchens. Don't see the advantage when the kitchen is only steps away, and we have tile if you are damp. I thing it attracts critters.

"I never made a mistake in my life, I thought I did once, but I was wrong" Charles Schultz
Old 05-14-2018, 04:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

Ours is a saltwater pool that T&D put in last summer. They maintained it for the first 3 months as part of the install contract. Now I maintain it myself, a little acid, a little salt, and brush it down once a week, all very easy. We recently purchased a Zodiac MX8 Elite pool cleaner from Pinch-A-Penney, throw it in for a couple of hours twice a week and it vacuums it great, worth the money. Only other maintenance so far has been clean the filter every few weeks as said above and clean the salt cell every 3 months. If you can turn a wrench with a little confidence you'll have no problems with any of it.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Ours is a saltwater pool that T&D put in last summer. They maintained it for the first 3 months as part of the install contract. Now I maintain it myself, a little acid, a little salt, and brush it down once a week, all very easy. We recently purchased a Zodiac MX8 Elite pool cleaner from Pinch-A-Penney, throw it in for a couple of hours twice a week and it vacuums it great, worth the money. Only other maintenance so far has been clean the filter every few weeks as said above and clean the salt cell every 3 months. If you can turn a wrench with a little confidence you'll have no problems with any of it.
I agree.

Tags
pool, maintenance, reccomend, cost, lanai

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.