To Pool or Not To Pool

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Platinum member

When we added the pool I reported it to the insurance agent and learned that there was no additional cost. Surprised me.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Sage
Default Home value

I don't know about TV, but a pool doesn't increase your home value here.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Is property insurance, specifically liability, noticeably more expensive with an in-ground pool?

Liability no. For our renewal this year we questioned our agent on replacement for our solar panels and pool filter. Answer, not covered. The policy was amended to add coverage for both at a cost of less than $50 yr. Since we also have an liability umbrella policy they did not recommend changing that.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Location: Fortuna, CA, Antioch, CA Pleasanton, CA, the Village of St. Charles.
Talking Pool or not

We did not own a pool before coming here two years ago. We have a small salt water pool and a hot tub. We use our pool every day in the summer and the tub most days in the winter. We had a solar heater added to the pool and I do all the maintenance. Takes about an hr a week and that includes chemicals and scrubbing. Take your water to T&D offices (there are two of them) and they will check your chemicals and give you a list of what needs to be done. Costs are around $100 a year for chemicals, maybe a little more. Salt generator with a UV filter makes for very clean water. Make sure to add an auto-fill and your work is cut way down. No adding water or pumping water out if it's too full.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB1 View Post
We did not own a pool before coming here two years ago. We have a small salt water pool and a hot tub. We use our pool every day in the summer and the tub most days in the winter. We had a solar heater added to the pool and I do all the maintenance. Takes about an hr a week and that includes chemicals and scrubbing. Take your water to T&D offices (there are two of them) and they will check your chemicals and give you a list of what needs to be done. Costs are around $100 a year for chemicals, maybe a little more. Salt generator with a UV filter makes for very clean water. Make sure to add an auto-fill and your work is cut way down. No adding water or pumping water out if it's too full.
Have to agree with you on the effort. I had the cholorine pool "up north" and it was a PIA. Our new salt generator pool installed in March seems to take care of itself. Checking the system takes all of 5 minutes, vaccum every other week. Still cannot justify giving T & D $100 plus a month to take of my pool.
I too take advantage of their water testing.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Sage
Default Yes Pool!

Hi. We have bought a lot on a Golf Course and paid a whole lot more than we wanted to because our dream is to have a pool in Florida! We had a pool in our home in Upstate NY, which can't even compare to one in TV. We could only use it for a few months a year and it got dirty often because of leaves. However, in TV we will have a birdcage so much less to vacuum and think about it this way....when you get up in the morning you may just want to jump in the pool without having to fix your hair to go out to use the public pool, you may want to have an iced tea or beer by the pool by yourselves, you may want to go skinny dipping (don't tell your neighbors), after all we are entering the best time of our lives...go for it! And, if you want to entertain, you have your beautiful pool right there in your back yard! We are sold. Between the two of us we will have plenty of time to vacuum the pool. Just think, you'll be able to get some exercise, float on your favorite float and entertain without even leaving your back yard. If you feel you want to meet other people, heck there's a lot more to do to meet others. Just my opinion...we are going for the pool!!! Good luck!

Last edited by Happinow; 01-05-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 11-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
Gee, the pool guys doing our neighborhood pool told me liquid chlorine was metered into the pool and not "aqua salt". Could be wrong......will ask again tonight when I see the crew.
Oh wow... the pool guys I asked told me it was salt... ?
Whichever it is, they administer it well... can't taste salt, and see no chlorine damage to eyes, skin, hair or swimsuit. All pools I've seen are sparkling... and there are no chemical fumes anywhere.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Sage

There are a couple of good reasons to have your own pool despite the many beautiful ones TV offers.

- Evening and night swimming - TV pools close at dusk or before, which often seems too early

- Privacy

- Relaxation poolside without hearing the gossips and complainers
Old 11-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
There are a couple of good reasons to have your own pool despite the many beautiful ones TV offers.

- Evening and night swimming - TV pools close at dusk or before, which often seems too early

- Privacy

- Relaxation poolside without hearing the gossips and complainers
all good points -

also: Having your own shade area. In the mid-summer I love the water but I also need the shade when not in the water.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Default Pool

We lived in Tampa for 23 years before moving up here to TV. When we moved to Tampa from Ohio the first thing we had to do is install a pool. I think it is a dream of everyone who comes from the north to have a pool which can be used most of the year. It was great for awhile but eventually we found we were not using it that much. My wife lost interest in it and except when the family visited, I was the only one using it about once or twice a week. The work to clean, maintain, shock treat, vacuum, adjust the PH, clean filter, etc seemed to take more time and more expense. Later we moved to a new house in Tampa which already had a pool and we continued to devote time and money maintaining the pool without really using it that much. Every time we went out of town for any time we came back to a green algae pool. Finally we paid to have it professionally cleaned and maintained on a weekly basis. Not cheap!!! Then we had some major expenses in replacing the pump, draining the pool to re-marcite the pool, replace the solar heating tubes, etc. When we moved to TV we celebrated because we escaped the pool. No maintenance, no work, no higher insurance premium, no worry about the danger of the pool when grandchildren are here, etc. Now all we have to do is get in the golf cart and enjoy our neighborhood pool. No work or expense. What a pleasure.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Gold member
Default Close

My wife wanted a pool! AS long as she did not have to clean it!

She wanted a pool that was within walking distance or a quick cart ride.

We found a beauty in Tamarind Grove! It even comes with the nicest people we have ever had the pleasure of chatting with. At least last July while on our lot buying trip and it was still 95 out!

I do admit some homes with the huge Bird Cages and beautiful pools look wonderful. And we are still eye balling a soft sided hot tub for our lani.

I do not want to have to baby sit something that costs us money.

Figure TV built us some nice ones might as well use them.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 AM
Gold member
Default Ice

[QUOTE=Happinow;422840]Hi. We have bought a lot on Ft Walton Golf Course and paid a whole lot more than we wanted to because our dream is to have a pool in Florida! We had a pool in our home in Upstate NY, which can't even compare to one in TV. We could only use it for a few months a year and it got dirty often because of leaves.

Gee in the winter you didn't skate or play Hockey on it. Just kidding, You make a good point about owning one. Don't know about the Skinny dipping. I would have to loose about 25 and hit the gym! Gravity is my enemy.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:40 PM

I love salt water pools. Makes the skin feel really soft. I don't think the neighborhood pools are salt. I would love it if they were. Who do we talk to about that? Thanks.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
I love salt water pools. Makes the skin feel really soft. I don't think the neighborhood pools are salt. I would love it if they were. Who do we talk to about that? Thanks.
I'm really confident that the neighborhood pools (at least the newer ones) are salt. At least that is what they told me when I asked.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Salt water pools

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
Yep......I was also told by many swimmers that the pools in TV are salt water pools.........not only nice to swim in......but much kinder on the bathing suits. The chlorine eats my bathing suits something terrible in our pools up north. Bring on that salt water!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.