Pool Privacy

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison2242 View Post
We are considering building a pool and would like a little privacy on two sides. Trying to decide between a step down wall or just foliage. Pros and cons?

Foliage suggestions?
We did the step down wall and somehow not quite enough so we replaced the screen on top of the step down wall to a higher grade screen, we can see out be almost impossible to see in, unless after dark and we have some kind of light on inside the screen area.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEETHOVENMIKEY View Post
Foliage is a maintenance headache, continued reoccurring costs and dramatic negative impact for maintenance on the pool. Use a fence/solid barrier and just put accent greenery
Fences aren’t allowed in most of the Villages.
Foliage is on the outside of the birdcage (which is screened), so leaves, etc won’t get in the pool.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:56 AM
Send a message via AIM to Tsalla Apopka

If foliage - keep in mind the screens are replaced from the outside. Not a problem unless a screen gets dmaged or old.........
Old 07-31-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Viburnum is actually a large plant family. I don't know what variety we have, planted by the builder they are now ten years old. I cut them about 3-4 times a year no trouble keeping them at 6 foot, easy to care for, no disease, no insects.

Podocarpus, I am not familiar with it but internet says it grows to 40-50 feet and 25 foot wide.
Podocarpus is similar to Viburnum. Viburnum will grow huge as well. I've seen Viburnum hedges over 30 feet high and 10 feet wide. I trim my Viburnum hedges at least 5 or 6 times a year to keep them 6 feet high and 2 feet wide. My Podocarpus plants surrounding my AC Condenser needs trimming just a couple of times a year and each time the clippings just fall into the bed. My Viburnum clippings fill a few paper lawn bags from Home Depot. I didn't add in my first post that I would replace my Viburnum with Popocarpus if my original hedge would not be so difficult to remove now.
Closed Thread

Tags
pool, foliage, privacy, decide, cons

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.