Pool tables

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2019, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Well said!
There really no upgrading, up grading would be nice, but it’s getting the right contractor to do job correctly. Poor job on even Brunswick gold crown results the same outcome.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlaur View Post
Most people are not satisfied with current tables..as more people come here the standards are raised higher.
the developer does not want to hear about things can be improved alreadry been that route.all they have to do is go to another manufacturer because these current tables ply like they are seconds..
we got what we got...………..not complaining jus sayin...…………..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
What?? I’m not the one making specific claims without facts. I simply expressed personal doubt regarding such claims.
So sorry...did not mean you...tried to figure out how billaur could make an unfounded statement that people are unsatisfied with the tables. He must feel he is speaking for all but like most statements like that they are the ones who are just unhappy people about most things
Old 04-23-2019, 02:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
What?? I’m not the one making specific claims without facts. I simply expressed personal doubt regarding such claims.
Sorry...Did not mean you..it was billaur's statement
Old 04-23-2019, 02:55 PM

yes sir the vast majority speak poorly of the tables,its the cut or angle of the pocket that is misaligned,this is olhausens trademark.. Get a Brunswick gold crown and there will be a world of difference their pockets are cut correctly...why would olhausen ,a pool table manufacturer,put pieces of ivory for signifying diamonds on the rail when the rail is same color as diamonds,you cannot see the diamonds from the other side of table..ridiculous
Old 04-23-2019, 03:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,635 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Maybe I mean the Recreation Department, not the developer, but whoever is responsible, they just don't care. This is common knowledge among pool players in The Villages.
Perhaps a good start would be to learn who is responsible for what in the community in which you chose to live, and then go from there.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,635 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I believe most of the amenities are designed for the general population not specific groups> While there may be serious billiard players here I doubt the District (or is it the PWAC) wants to upgrade tables and equipment for the serious players since they are probably a minority in the scheme of things. I have seen people playing with their grand kids who have never played before, cues dragged across the table, people sitting on the tables instead of using the bridge. I prefer that the amenity fee not be used to put professional level stuff where those that don't respect it have access. JMO
Agree agree agree.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,421 Times in 5,110 Posts

Of course, people who don't know anything about billiards are not going to complain about the tables. But, billiards is an extremely popular game in The Villages, especially among women who never played before moving here. I understand that The Villages Billiards Club has hundreds of members, and that the club has made attempts in the past to work with the Recreation Department to assist and improve the quality of the equipment and the billiards rooms. But, the Recreation Department has not cooperated. I just think that it is irresponsible to have about 150 pool tables in about 25 rec centers and to not see the need to engage any experts for advice and consultation in the management of this very expensive resource. My opinion.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:46 PM

well put
Old 04-23-2019, 05:28 PM

management seems to be ok, its the quality of the tables ,seems to be lax..
Old 04-23-2019, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,303 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Of course, people who don't know anything about billiards are not going to complain about the tables. But, billiards is an extremely popular game in The Villages, especially among women who never played before moving here. I understand that The Villages Billiards Club has hundreds of members, and that the club has made attempts in the past to work with the Recreation Department to assist and improve the quality of the equipment and the billiards rooms. But, the Recreation Department has not cooperated. I just think that it is irresponsible to have about 150 pool tables in about 25 rec centers and to not see the need to engage any experts for advice and consultation in the management of this very expensive resource. My opinion.
By cooperate do you mean do agree with you and do what you believe is the thing to do?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-23-2019, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,421 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
By cooperate do you mean do agree with you and do what you believe is the thing to do?
Huh? The Villages Billiards Club represents hundreds of pool players, and they have tried, as a group, to work with the Recreation Department to improve the billiard rooms. The problem is that the Recreation Department management just doesn't care. If you have other specific information to dispute that, then please share it. But, I am explaining the situation that is common knowledge within The Villages among the pool players. Apparently, people on this thread just want to propose a totally contrary viewpoint without any specific information to back it up. It is easy to just make stuff up.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:41 PM
Veteran member

Someone else said it, can’t believe the discontent with those that complain. I’ve been playing pool since I was a child, in fact in college I majored in drinking beer and shooting pool same reason it it took me 6 years for a 4 year degree. I spent too much time in the rec center playing pool then adjourning to the pub. I’m not a pro player but the tables are more than adequate. Discontent? Yea I have some just by the fact I have a family situation that keeps us in the North most of the year and only few months in TV. You wanna talk about discontent I’ll trade places with you, come take care of this family problem that could go on for a few years and I’ll use the less than adequate pool tables.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
Someone else said it, can’t believe the discontent with those that complain...I’m not a pro player but the tables are more than adequate...
I think many more Villagers who play billiards agree with you than the complainers would have you believe.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 04-23-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
Someone else said it, can’t believe the discontent with those that complain. I’ve been playing pool since I was a child, in fact in college I majored in drinking beer and shooting pool same reason it it took me 6 years for a 4 year degree. I spent too much time in the rec center playing pool then adjourning to the pub. I’m not a pro player but the tables are more than adequate. Discontent? Yea I have some just by the fact I have a family situation that keeps us in the North most of the year and only few months in TV. You wanna talk about discontent I’ll trade places with you, come take care of this family problem that could go on for a few years and I’ll use the less than adequate pool tables.
So, part timers says the table are adequate and expert on quality of billiard manufactures. I won’t go into the rest.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
I think many more Villagers who play billiards agree with you than the complainers would have you believe.
Well, I think you’re wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
pool, feeney, whats, deal?????pray, table, tables

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.