Need help deciding

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Exclamation Need help deciding

I'm visiting in TV and I've been looking at houses with both TV and MLS reps.

The good news - there are some very nice houses in my price range for sale right now.

The bad news - see the good news.......

There are 8 (and counting) listed for under $165,00 that I would consider buying but they are located all the way from Piedmont to Duval and a couple of villages in between. I know this topic has been posted before and the consensus seemed to be that 'when you find the right house you'll know it'. I've tried applying 'logic' and that helps me get it down to 4 based on # of bedrooms (3), direction that rear of house faces (E,N), the 'likely' future value based on the village they're in (??), their proximity to shopping, etc, the 'feel' of the neighborhood - you get the picture.....

To take a narrower perspective, if you were buying today looking strictly at the perceived investment value, where would you be looking and buying?

Based on the prior advice, if a house hasn't 'spoken' to me yet should I just keep looking?

Please help!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Default Just an opinion.

Some neighborhoods are more social so that may be important to you. We moved to the Village of St. Charles which is a very social area. Generally speaking the newer the neighborhood the more social it is.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Veteran member

I think you will be surprised to learn that many Villagers did not make "investment value" their top priority when buying a home.

At this stage of most Villagers life they are interested in a comfortable home in the right area for a good value and intend to make it their last home (ie frogs). At least that is my line of thinking on the subject.

That being said, you are definetly coming at a good time to take advantage of the many re-sales out there. I agree with others, you will know it when you see it as far as what home is for you.

Good luck.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Sage
Smile

Unless money is no object, you also have to look at the bond, taxes and other add-ons in addition to the asking price. Also, ask your agent about any sinkhole activity in the various neighborhoods, as you might not be able to purchase sinkhole insurance.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromct;***663
I'm visiting in TV and I've been looking at houses with both TV and MLS reps.

The good news - there are some very nice houses in my price range for sale right now.

The bad news - see the good news.......

There are 8 (and counting) listed for under $165,00 that I would consider buying but they are located all the way from Piedmont to Duval and a couple of villages in between. I know this topic has been posted before and the consensus seemed to be that 'when you find the right house you'll know it'. I've tried applying 'logic' and that helps me get it down to 4 based on # of bedrooms (3), direction that rear of house faces (E,N), the 'likely' future value based on the village they're in (??), their proximity to shopping, etc, the 'feel' of the neighborhood - you get the picture.....

To take a narrower perspective, if you were buying today looking strictly at the perceived investment value, where would you be looking and buying?

Based on the prior advice, if a house hasn't 'spoken' to me yet should I just keep looking?

Please help!
I've lived here 6yrs and if I were you I'd buy something near 466A, it's all about location in TV.
Alot of the decisions you have to make of course are the personal ones geared to your needs and desires, but I live very close to 466A and it's the hot area right now and close to 75 & Fl. Turnpike.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Platinum member
Default A few points to consider

- You may want to eliminate foreclosures and short sales
- Do you prefer block & stucco to wood frame?
- Not within smelling distance of any landfill or water treatment facilities
- Not in sinkhole-likely neighborhoods
- Quiet location - not so close to squares that entertainment can be heard
- Not next to a noisy family pool or pickleball court
- Not in a flood prone area. Not in a high risk FEMA flood zone.
- Not next to any major highways – no loud road noise
- Do you care how close your rear neighbors are?
- Any golf cart paths very near the lanai
- No bad indoor smells – musty, mildew, smelly pets, cigarette smoke
- Open floor plan, lots of light, if that is your preference
- No or very low bond, if that makes a difference to you
- Vaulted ceilings, if you like those
- Any preference for all-electric or all gas?

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 12-29-2011, 12:57 PM

I agree with Jackz. I bought 18 months ago and really didn't factor in future value. It was more important to get a place I wanted at my price. I looked at over 20 homes in three days. The one I bought definately stuck out to me. Keep looking.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default When you get that "warm-fuzzy" feeling, you will know

We got that feeling in the court-yard BEFORE we stepped in the house....Had no intentions on an investment, we knew we loved it and that was that!....They will have to drag me out of here in a pine box now!!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Sage
Default Consider This Thought

A wise poster had suggested that a list of "must have's" and a list of "optional" things one wants in a home might narrow your search criteria.

It all depends on what are the most important things for you and yours. Possily renting for a while might help you sort out what is important.

I hope this helps. Best wishes in your search.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).

Last edited by 2BNTV; 12-29-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 12-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Someone told us to buy as much space as you can comfortably afford. Storage is important.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Sage

I'd go for a walk in the morning in the neighborhood, to meet some residents there and see how long most have been there. As a newcomer, it's nice to be surrounded by people in the same boat...new in town/state, looking for new social connections, interested in doing things together as a neighborhood.

A couple of residents have told us they don't have neighborhood connections because the homes are older and so are the residents, and they are already set in their circles or they're older and don't do much.

I'd look for people who are young at heart (who live by "age is just a number") around a house that "speaks to you". If none stand out, keep looking.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:31 PM

I was told the best place to buy is south of 466????
Old 12-29-2011, 06:14 PM

Since investment is high on your list, i would recommend the village of Winifred or any of the villages close by to Lake Sumter Landing.

I am not aware of any areas in TV that you cant buy sinkhole insurance.

Stay away from areas that have sewage treatment areas close by. Others say that they cant smell anything, but anytime my wife and i drive past we say pee you.

For friendly streets, i would recommend a cul de sac. Or a brand new neighborhood.

A few areas do have pickleball close by and that can be annoying for noise.

I would buy something as big and as nice as you can comfortably afford. I know many people that bought small and then upgraded a few years later.

One good thing is you are picking the right place >>>>>>>>> The Villages

jeffy
Old 12-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

I am one of the folks that listed my must haves, must NOT haves, and would like to haves. it did help us sift through. Of course, these differ for everyone, so i would start a list of your own.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Sage

My thought is that if you pick a neighborhood that doesn't have much going on, just hop in your golf cart to the closest one that has a lot going on. I expect the other neighborhood would welcome a newbie to their circle. Everyone seems plenty friendly.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.