Possible Dramatic Changes for TV Recycling

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2019, 12:06 PM

Our trash rates increased because of recycling. Will our trash rates increase to end recycling?
Old 06-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Today's technology isn't making life any easier
Old 06-12-2019, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,306 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichard View Post
Our trash rates increased because of recycling. Will our trash rates increase to end recycling?
That will depend on the charges from the landfills to take all our stuff.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-12-2019, 08:08 PM
Veteran member

We are sending a second fleet of trucks around The Villsges every week. How environmentally friendly and cost effective is that? If it’s going to the landfill as I have heard, it is absurd.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quite frankly I don't like the can idea either. Just put it out there because an earlier poster asked about the cans. Don't have the room to store them in the garage and would look crappy sitting in the yard as they are quite large.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,376 Times in 3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Quite frankly I don't like the can idea either. Just put it out there because an earlier poster asked about the cans. Don't have the room to store them in the garage and would look crappy sitting in the yard as they are quite large.
You don't have room to store one big garbage can in the garage. So where do you store all the different trash bags filled with trash? Kitchen, bathroom, other bathroom, the bag you use to clean the litterbox, lint from the dryer, etc. etc. etc.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
You don't have room to store one big garbage can in the garage. So where do you store all the different trash bags filled with trash? Kitchen, bathroom, other bathroom, the bag you use to clean the litterbox, lint from the dryer, etc. etc. etc.
Before The Villages I lived in a large 55+ community in Leesburg for 10 years. That comm had (and still uses) a waste company that ONLY took TRASH & RECYCLING using HUGE plastic bins with hinged tops - they were about 30" square and 4' high - green for trash, blue for recycl. Needed to wheel them out the night before. The trucks were manned by ONLY the driver and the truck had a pneumatic pivoting arm on the side of the truck that would grasp the bin and noisily lift/rotate it into the truck. Each cycle would take about 30 seconds - much longer than our guys flipping bags in the truck... another truck came for recycl bins. AND of course, after the trash is taken the empty bins are left on the curb, sometimes tipping, and smelling -sometimes all day if the people were out. AND many folks kept them outside, not in the garage during the week.

Although OUR system here in TV is not perfect, it's better than that...
Old 06-13-2019, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
All those individual trash cans you mentioned get emptied twice a week into a large trash bag which is contained in a kitchen size garbage can in the garage. No need for storing this trash in the house unless you consider each individual trash receptacle as being storage. Those trash receptacles are being used on a daily basis. They do not need emptying until trash day when they go out to the end of the driveway.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Before The Villages I lived in a large 55+ community in Leesburg for 10 years. That comm had (and still uses) a waste company that ONLY took TRASH & RECYCLING using HUGE plastic bins with hinged tops - they were about 30" square and 4' high - green for trash, blue for recycl. Needed to wheel them out the night before. The trucks were manned by ONLY the driver and the truck had a pneumatic pivoting arm on the side of the truck that would grasp the bin and noisily lift/rotate it into the truck. Each cycle would take about 30 seconds - much longer than our guys flipping bags in the truck... another truck came for recycl bins. AND of course, after the trash is taken the empty bins are left on the curb, sometimes tipping, and smelling -sometimes all day if the people were out. AND many folks kept them outside, not in the garage during the week.

Most garages here in TV are a standard size and are not large enough to fit large trash bins in these garages (unless you only have one vehicle in the garage). I do not want to look at these garbage cans on the sides of homes nor in back yards. Many back yards face main streets here in TV. Our community would look "trashy" and I imagine that is not the look most home owners in our lovely neighborhoods would want.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:45 PM

The never ending garbage topic. Back on topic if there's no demand for recycled item they get thrown in the regular trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2019, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post

In our designer, with two cars in the garage and a workshop in the golf cart garage, we would not have had space for a trash can. Somebody wouldn't have been able to get into his car.

With two trash pickups per week, we've never had to store trash in the garage.

To people advocating garbage going into disposals, I say what about meat bones, lettuce leaves, peelings and other things that aren't supposed to go down the disposal? Even coffee grounds and egg shells are not recommended to be put into disposals. You can't just throw those items into a bagless bin. And you can't compost bones.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,376 Times in 3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
All those individual trash cans you mentioned get emptied twice a week into a large trash bag which is contained in a kitchen size garbage can in the garage. No need for storing this trash in the house unless you consider each individual trash receptacle as being storage. Those trash receptacles are being used on a daily basis. They do not need emptying until trash day when they go out to the end of the driveway.
I understand that. But when one bag is full, and it's not trash day the next day, you need a place to put that full bag so you can put a fresh bag in the bin.

I thought my question was pretty clear but perhaps not. Especially considering the litterbox issue, where I clean the solid and clumps every single day. They get cleaned into a plastic bag, and that bag gets put in the garbage can, which we keep outside in our back yard up north until trash day.

Kitchen waste goes in the kitchen trash bin - until that bag is full. Then we empty it out and put THAT in the garbage can out back, until trash day. Bathroom trash goes in the bathroom trash bin, until THAT bag is full. And then it goes in the garbage can out back, until trash day.

Where do people who claim they don't have room for a single trash can, put those bags of trash when their multiple trash bins in the rooms of their house are full, on days when it isn't trash day that or the following day?
Old 06-13-2019, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I have never, in 8 years, had to store trash in the garage to wait for trash day. We just don't generate that much trash. As I said in an earlier post, we truly had NO room for a garbage can in our puny designer garage. Now that we're in a CYV with only one car in the garage, we could have one, as long as we don't have a golf cart. But... we don't need a garbage can. The dog's déjections are bagged and go into a "poop jar" outside (which is where I would put cat litter if we had a cat) to be added to the garbage bag on trash days.

If they drop down to one trash pickup per week, we would have one bag, tall kitchen can size, in the garage till trash day. But I hope they don't, because garages are hot and I would hate to have garbage festering in there. As for recyclables, we put ours in the laundry room sink until pickup day. If they stop accepting recycling, either at the curb or at the designated facility, that bag will be added to the trash.

Up north we had cans blowing all over the road. It was unsightly. I like the way TV does it.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,846 Times in 2,405 Posts

I do my part and put the trash out on trash day, how ever they pick it up and what they do with it is their business. I pay for service and they do good job. The problem with trash cans is they blow over, people throw anything in them, and some Lazy _____ won’t bring the back off the street. If some Think they can do it better create company and put in bid
Old 06-13-2019, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
There are simply too many folks who have the time and energy to complain and critisize, but do not have the time and energy to learn about the community in which they chose to live.
I was looking for a sane post on this thread, finally found it. Thanks.

Tags
meeting, june, baier, villages, recycling

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.