Possible Dramatic Changes for TV Recycling

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2019, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

Where do people who claim they don't have room for a single trash can, put those bags of trash when their multiple trash bins in the rooms of their house are full, on days when it isn't trash day that or the following day?
That was my point in a previous post.......we don't fill our individual trash cans that are in daily use in the house. On a VERY rare occasion, the kitchen garbage can needs to be emptied before trash pick up, I take the bag, close it up and place it in the garage or place it on the lanai until it goes to the curb on garbage pick up day. We are only two people in the house and we can't even try to fill our trash cans in the house. I could even go one week before needing to replace the bags in the house trash cans.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
In our designer, with two cars in the garage and a workshop in the golf cart garage, we would not have had space for a trash can. Somebody wouldn't have been able to get into his car.

With two trash pickups per week, we've never had to store trash in the garage.

To people advocating garbage going into disposals, I say what about meat bones, lettuce leaves, peelings and other things that aren't supposed to go down the disposal? Even coffee grounds and egg shells are not recommended to be put into disposals. You can't just throw those items into a bagless bin. And you can't compost bones.

All the things you mention CAN be put down the disposer with the exception of meat bones.
Yes -- coffee grounds and eggshells, too.

Probably the toughest things are carrot and potato peelings, but if you are careful -- i.e. put them in the disposal slowly and not stuff all of them in at one time -- you shouldn't have an issue.

I also put chicken bones down and have no problem with them.

One of the key issues is to buy a really good disposal. I have a 3/4 h.p. Waste King and have never had any trouble.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:07 AM

Have to say the days of dodging trash cans scattered up and down the streets or alley was a pain and looked so appealing. Most never moved from the curb until the truck came along the next week. Most drew more critters than bags since they had not been cleaned since the founding of this country. Not in favor of any type of container. We can not understand how people have so much trash in first place. We put out a 4 gallon trash bag every other week. Recycling goes out weekly depending on wine and beer consumption. Have a composter and it hidden. Issue for sanitation companies is no where to put it. Another one of those ostrich moments for America, just ignore it and it does not exist. There are many things that could be done but no backbone to do it. We are all of an age where we can remember no plastic straws, Styrofoam containers etc. How did we live without them, o my!!!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:19 AM
Sage

True, the builders line disposals are pure junk, I installed a multi stage insinkerator, but there a still some things that will clog up the trap, no fun clearing a clogged sink trap--done it several times, here and in NC
Old 06-14-2019, 10:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Only if there is a buyer who can recycle...for a cost less than creating new.

Which is a shame, because the ancillary benefits of reducing landfill wastes...is an admirable goal.

Aluminum Recycling 101 (Poke Here)
I may not be an expert, but I have a degree in Metallurgical Engineering, I have bought primary and secondary aluminum for 20 years, over 1 Billion pounds at last calculation, and I have been inside just about every aluminum smelter and recycler in the country. This is what I know - recycled aluminum scrap is WAY cheaper than primary, and aluminum is 100% recyclable, and most stays in the country. Products like Lawn Mower engines, which have 10-12 million a year produced in this country are 100% recycled aluminum for instance. Aluminum cans are made from as much recycled aluminum as they can get, in places like Alcoa, TN, Warrick, IN, and Oswego, NY - not China.

Aluminum scrap pays for most recycling programs. China has ZERO to do with that.
Most of the issue is with PLASTICs not metals.

Just my opinion - or you can believe what you read on the internet - it is always true
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 06-14-2019, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
I may not be an expert, but I have a degree in Metallurgical Engineering, I have bought primary and secondary aluminum for 20 years, over 1 Billion pounds at last calculation, and I have been inside just about every aluminum smelter and recycler in the country. This is what I know - recycled aluminum scrap is WAY cheaper than primary, and aluminum is 100% recyclable, and most stays in the country. Products like Lawn Mower engines, which have 10-12 million a year produced in this country are 100% recycled aluminum for instance. Aluminum cans are made from as much recycled aluminum as they can get, in places like Alcoa, TN, Warrick, IN, and Oswego, NY - not China.

Aluminum scrap pays for most recycling programs. China has ZERO to do with that.
Most of the issue is with PLASTICs not metals.

Just my opinion - or you can believe what you read on the internet - it is always true

I tend to trust known, usually reliable sources, whether it's the internet or not...over unknown anecdotal opinions.

Aluminum Recycling (Poke Here)
Quote:

Used aluminum cans are piling up in scrap yards as the market for aluminum recyclables shrinks in size and profitability, The Wall Street Journal reports.

The price for used aluminum cans tanked 30 percent since the summer of 2018. Aluminum rollers are cutting recycled aluminum from cans out of their business models to prioritize more profitable areas of business.

Old aluminum cans are limited in what aluminum products they can be used in.

Car and airplane manufacturers tend to stay away from using aluminum made from recycled cans. Aluminum producers are turning away from the used can market despite facing social pressure to embrace recycling, WSJ reports.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Bingo!!!
The best of all these posts .
Old 06-14-2019, 07:24 PM
Veteran member

Today the trash folks refused to pickup my trash because they could see a tiny bit through the bag. It wasn’t dark enough for them. I have been using white Sam's kitchen bags for 12 years and all of a sudden they wouldn’t take them. I went on Amazon and had to order black bags or they won’t take them. The whole world is trying to reduce plastic and now I am buying more after just buying 200 white Sam's 13gallon kitchen trash bags. Insanity reigns.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:47 PM
Thumbs down This Defies Any Logic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
Today the trash folks refused to pickup my trash because they could see a tiny bit through the bag. It wasn’t dark enough for them. I have been using white Sam's kitchen bags for 12 years and all of a sudden they wouldn’t take them. I went on Amazon and had to order black bags or they won’t take them. The whole world is trying to reduce plastic and now I am buying more after just buying 200 white Sam's 13gallon kitchen trash bags. Insanity reigns.

Your fiasco -- and that's what it is -- is incredible!
They wouldn't take your trash bag??? Unbelievable.

In what general area do you live where this happened?
I wonder if they would take my bags.
I use WalMart bags because I refuse to buy any!
Old 06-15-2019, 12:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Maybe they saw something inside the bag that they are not allowed to take. I have never had a bag left behind. And the ones that we are using now are pretty thin and can be seen a tiny bit through.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

When we moved here 7 years ago, the neighbors said that regular trash was supposed to be in dark bags and recycled trash in clear bags (so as to verify it was actual recyclable items I presume).

I've since been using white garbage bags for regular trash and clear for recyclables...and have never either types of bags refused.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
When we moved here 7 years ago, the neighbors said that regular trash was supposed to be in dark bags and recycled trash in clear bags (so as to verify it was actual recyclable items I presume).

I've since been using white garbage bags for regular trash and clear for recyclables...and have never either types of bags refused.
From the District Web Site on Sanitation Collection Info:

"Garbage should not be in cans, but
instead put in white or black plastic
bags at the end of your driveway. Bags
should be placed at the end of your
driveway, at the edge of the street. Bags
must be placed for collection before
6:00 a.m. on your collection day or
the night before (no sooner than 9:00
p.m.). All garbage should be placed
in sealed, standard 20-30 gallon trash
bags, each bag weighing no more than
40 pounds. Refrain from leaving trash
out on undesignated collection days.
Wrap broken glass or other sharp
objects in newspaper and try to place
them where they cannot cause injury."

And

"Single Stream refers to a system that takes two recycling “streams” – mixed paper
and acceptable containers – and puts them together. No sorting needed! ALL your
recyclable items MUST be in a clear plastic bag. This increases the ease and
convenience of recycling so more people participate and more resources are saved."
Old 06-15-2019, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Why I mention what happens up north is that we don’t repeat the same mistakes in TV. If it isn’t obvious, what I’m trying to say that the mastered planned community of TV with all it’s faults, is really doing very well and I am very proud of it!
Old 06-15-2019, 08:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Maybe they saw something inside the bag that they are not allowed to take. I have never had a bag left behind. And the ones that we are using now are pretty thin and can be seen a tiny bit through.
There was just my usual stuff, nothing else. Nothing forbidden in a white Sam's club 13 gallon kitchen trash bag. I see them all over the place. I am giving them to my younger son in Viera, I now have Hefty black bags. Came today. Thank you Amazon. Delivery in less than 24 hours. It’s a crazy world out there. I live in Mallory Square.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
There was just my usual stuff, nothing else. Nothing forbidden in a white Sam's club 13 gallon kitchen trash bag. I see them all over the place. I am giving them to my younger son in Viera, I now have Hefty black bags. Came today. Thank you Amazon. Delivery in less than 24 hours. It’s a crazy world out there. I live in Mallory Square.
I know it sounds wasteful, but you could double up the white bags so they can't see inside.
I've never had any bags not picked up and I use white bags.
Closed Thread

Tags
meeting, june, baier, villages, recycling

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.