Possible Dramatic Changes for TV Recycling

Possible Dramatic Changes for TV Recycling

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 06-09-2019, 10:47 AM
Platinum member

Recycling efforts (regular pick up) are costing many millions of useless expense. Need to stop now and find another approach. Maybe less waste which should be very easy to implement.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:09 AM

One of the major crimes here in TV are the plastic bags which we are required to put our trash in twice a week. Multiply that by the number of houses we have. These bags are not disintegrating and contaminate efforts to break down in the landfills.

I don't recall any time in my life, no matter where I've lived, where my trash was put out on the street in bags and not in a trash can.

While over the years there have been many complaints regarding going to trash and recycle type trash cans, it really is the only way to get away from using plastic bags. That hurdle won't happen any time soon because the change over would be too costly for the developer to provide the receptacles and trucks to do the job and I think they are just too cheap to do it.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
One of the major crimes here in TV are the plastic bags which we are required to put our trash in twice a week. Multiply that by the number of houses we have. These bags are not disintegrating and contaminate efforts to break down in the landfills.

I don't recall any time in my life, no matter where I've lived, where my trash was put out on the street in bags and not in a trash can.

While over the years there have been many complaints regarding going to trash and recycle type trash cans, it really is the only way to get away from using plastic bags. That hurdle won't happen any time soon because the change over would be too costly for the developer to provide the receptacles and trucks to do the job and I think they are just too cheap to do it.
You are not required to put your trash out twice a week, you have the option to put it out up to twice a week. We put it out once a week, there are only two of us so we can do that. In addition, we keep a trash can in the garage with a heavy duty bag in the event we over accumulate (party). Everything goes out on the recycle day. Thanks again for the shot at the Developer, it would be disappointing if someone didn't do that when we don't understand the business.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:

Prior to living in The Villages, we always used trash cans to put out the refuse. However, inside those trash cans were plastic bags that contained the trash. I can not imagine throwing egg shells, as an example, into the trash can alone. I have always lined my kitchen garbage can with a plastic bag. I just can not imagine not having a liner.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Prior to living in The Villages, we always used trash cans to put out the refuse. However, inside those trash cans were plastic bags that contained the trash. I can not imagine throwing egg shells, as an example, into the trash can alone. I have always lined my kitchen garbage can with a plastic bag. I just can not imagine not having a liner.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:06 PM
Veteran member

I love garburators. We don’t have them up north in the city because the old sewer system can’t handle it.

Last edited by Velvet; 06-10-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Wait, you mean there’s an environmental cost to Amazon deliveries coming to every home every day in all those extra boxes? Who would of thunk,
Old 06-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Gold member

In the north: We have supermarket plastic bag in the bathroom trash can, and my office trash can. A tall kitchen bag in the kitchen trash bin. When any of them are full we tie up the bags and toss them in the big garbage can outside. Once a week we roll it to the curb. We also have recycling bins, and our municipality lets us have more than one, if we are the type to recycle lots of recyclables every week.

I don't know how it is that the Villages isn't full of vermin, with all those plastic bags leaking who knows what all over the curbside twice a week all along the road in the entire neighborhood. I personally find it disgusting and more unattractive than if someone wanted to stick a tacky pink flamingo on their front lawn.

Maybe that's what some of y'all think is "beautiful." Meh. I'd rather have the flamingo, and a singular trashcan with a bunch of bags inside it, with the lid closed on the curb once a week.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Guess you never lived in NYC or NJ. Were we lived we put our required plastic bags INTO containers that were automatically picked up by a 1-man truck with a "robot arm" that dumped and put the can back in the same spot. The city supplied every resident with a special can. Saved them millions in labor. The labor no longer on sanitation trucks were assigned other jobs incuding recycling pickup. Recycling was put out and picked up manually once a month. The sanitation dept would spot check garbage cans for stuff that should be recycled.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:10 PM
Sage

At our home up north all the schools had recycling dumpsters. In the last month all have been removed.

At the hospitals we work at, we recycled all of our cardboard, wraps, plastics. With up to 5 bags per case of clean products we filled the compacting bins weekly. Last week bins were removed. So now hospitals are throwing 300 plus bags a day in the land fill.

Tags
meeting, june, baier, villages, recycling