Possible Dramatic Changes for TV Recycling

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2019, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

I love garburators. We don’t have them up north in the city because the old sewer system can’t handle it.

Last edited by Velvet; 06-10-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Wait, you mean there’s an environmental cost to Amazon deliveries coming to every home every day in all those extra boxes? Who would of thunk,
Old 06-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

In the north: We have supermarket plastic bag in the bathroom trash can, and my office trash can. A tall kitchen bag in the kitchen trash bin. When any of them are full we tie up the bags and toss them in the big garbage can outside. Once a week we roll it to the curb. We also have recycling bins, and our municipality lets us have more than one, if we are the type to recycle lots of recyclables every week.

I don't know how it is that the Villages isn't full of vermin, with all those plastic bags leaking who knows what all over the curbside twice a week all along the road in the entire neighborhood. I personally find it disgusting and more unattractive than if someone wanted to stick a tacky pink flamingo on their front lawn.

Maybe that's what some of y'all think is "beautiful." Meh. I'd rather have the flamingo, and a singular trashcan with a bunch of bags inside it, with the lid closed on the curb once a week.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
I don't recall any time in my life, no matter where I've lived, where my trash was put out on the street in bags and not in a trash can.
Guess you never lived in NYC or NJ. Were we lived we put our required plastic bags INTO containers that were automatically picked up by a 1-man truck with a "robot arm" that dumped and put the can back in the same spot. The city supplied every resident with a special can. Saved them millions in labor. The labor no longer on sanitation trucks were assigned other jobs incuding recycling pickup. Recycling was put out and picked up manually once a month. The sanitation dept would spot check garbage cans for stuff that should be recycled.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

At our home up north all the schools had recycling dumpsters. In the last month all have been removed.

At the hospitals we work at, we recycled all of our cardboard, wraps, plastics. With up to 5 bags per case of clean products we filled the compacting bins weekly. Last week bins were removed. So now hospitals are throwing 300 plus bags a day in the land fill.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:01 PM
Exclamation And Speaking About Taking a Shot at Someone . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
You are not required to put your trash out twice a week, you have the option to put it out up to twice a week. We put it out once a week, there are only two of us so we can do that. In addition, we keep a trash can in the garage with a heavy duty bag in the event we over accumulate (party). Everything goes out on the recycle day. Thanks again for the shot at the Developer, it would be disappointing if someone didn't do that when we don't understand the business.

What's to understand??!? If Waste Management can do it, why can't Morse???
And truthfully, it really isn't necessary to have trash pickup twice a week. One pickup a week would work and be less costly.

What you are calling a shot at the developer happens to be a truism, not a shot. I've also noticed at every opportunity, YOU take a shot at me!

Yes -- the Morse family is obviously too cheap to invest in trash cans, recycle cans and the trucks which can handle the pickup.
I'm not speaking about the residents who are against this; that isn't the reason it isn't done.

So tell me -- how come Waste Management manages to do it in an efficient and environmentally conscious way all over Florida . . . and Morse doesn't???
Old 06-09-2019, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
There's an old invention called a garbage disposal.
It's been around for at least 65 years.
You really ought to try using one.
We have a compost heap up north. Won't be doing that in The Villages, not merely unsightly but the properties are too close together for that kind of thing.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Guess you never lived in NYC or NJ. Were we lived we put our required plastic bags INTO containers that were automatically picked up by a 1-man truck with a "robot arm" that dumped and put the can back in the same spot. The city supplied every resident with a special can. Saved them millions in labor. The labor no longer on sanitation trucks were assigned other jobs incuding recycling pickup. Recycling was put out and picked up manually once a month. The sanitation dept would spot check garbage cans for stuff that should be recycled.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I did live in Manhattan for a number of years and in Jersey, as well.

The type of truck and trash/recycle cans you are describing are similar (if not the same) as what Waste Management has.
There are also cities that have machinery that automatically separates trash from certain types of recyclable items, too
Old 06-09-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
We have a compost heap up north. Won't be doing that in The Villages, not merely unsightly but the properties are too close together for that kind of thing.

I've had a compost bin (but not a heap) right next to my A/C unit outside. It is no more unsightly than the compressor itself.

And BTW, for those who are not familiar with compost, it does NOT smell.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
And truthfully, it really isn't necessary to have trash pickup twice a week. One pickup a week would work and be less costly.

What you are calling a shot at the developer happens to be a truism, not a shot. I've also noticed at every opportunity, YOU take a shot at me!

Yes -- the Morse family is obviously too cheap to invest in trash cans, recycle cans and the trucks which can handle the pickup.
I'm not speaking about the residents who are against this; that isn't the reason it isn't done.

So tell me -- how come Waste Management manages to do it in an efficient and environmentally conscious way all over Florida . . . and Morse doesn't???
I think the reason your comment is considered a shot at the developer is that they don’t own the sanitation company. Why would it be their responsibility to provide the waste containers for that company? Where I lived previously, we had containers for trash and recycling paid for and supplied by the company that was contracted for the service, not by the city. Should not be any different here. If we are to get containers, the contractor, not the developer (or the district) should pay for and provide them.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:28 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:

Waste management services for all of the Villages north of 44 is handled by NSCUDD. -> Sanitation Information
and -> NSCUDD

Please read to stay informed.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,932 Times in 2,702 Posts

Quote:

???? - The Morse family are real estate developers (and very good ones at that) who have created a really great retirement community for us to enjoy. They are not in the trash pick-up and recycling business. Why do so many people think that 100% of everything that is not to their absolute liking in the Villages should be remedied out of the pockets of the developers?? That's not how things work in the real world!
Old 06-09-2019, 08:42 PM
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
I think the reason your comment is considered a shot at the developer is that they don’t own the sanitation company. Why would it be their responsibility to provide the waste containers for that company? Where I lived previously, we had containers for trash and recycling paid for and supplied by the company that was contracted for the service, not by the city. Should not be any different here. If we are to get containers, the contractor, not the developer (or the district) should pay for and provide them.
I agree completely with what you have said.
I have been under the impression it is the developer who had the responsibility for the trash pickup and not that it was farmed out to another company.
If that be the case, I stand corrected.

However, the fact remains that the developer still would be the one to set the guidelines of what and how they want the pickup to be done and the current method is still archaic and unresponsible.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
???? - The Morse family are real estate developers (and very good ones at that) who have created a really great retirement community for us to enjoy. They are not in the trash pick-up and recycling business. Why do so many people think that 100% of everything that is not to their absolute liking in the Villages should be remedied out of the pockets of the developers?? That's not how things work in the real world!

Yes, the Morse family are developers but if you read one of my other comments, I was under the impression that the trash/ business was theirs.

It was not an unfair assumption to make since they are also in the banking business, insurance business, and even more businesses of which we are probably not aware.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Seems a logical assumption, I thought it was the Developer too who was responsible, not familiar yet with the system of organization in TV.

Last edited by Velvet; 06-10-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
meeting, june, baier, villages, recycling

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.