Possible Dramatic Changes for TV Recycling

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2019, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Recycling has been an enormous and expensive waste of effort for years now. Only because of the recent rejection of our waste by third world countries have we begun to come to our senses. The problem is not "Fake News. " In Hong Kong you pay for plastic bags at the grocery store. Most people bring reusable bags. Because of the rather worthless recycling collection efforts across the country we have lost sight of the real costs of our waste. Time to take a different path.
I so agree with this. We need to produce less waste packaging, not focus on trying to chase dwindling recycle markets. I recently saw oranges in a grocery store that were wrapped in clear plastic film. WHY?
Old 06-11-2019, 02:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
I think the reason your comment is considered a shot at the developer is that they don’t own the sanitation company. Why would it be their responsibility to provide the waste containers for that company? Where I lived previously, we had containers for trash and recycling paid for and supplied by the company that was contracted for the service, not by the city. Should not be any different here. If we are to get containers, the contractor, not the developer (or the district) should pay for and provide them.
But perhaps the developer could contract with a company that supplies trash cans and has the robot arm to pick them up.

When we rented one winter in the Low Country--Beaufort, SC--they had this type of trash pickup. What we learned from a neighbor was if it couldn't fit in the trash can and the lid be closed, they wouldn't take it. It's much more strict. On the plus side... in TV they will take just about anything, inside the bag or out. You could put your mother-in-law out there in a chair and they would take her.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

What does the container or new trucks have to do with the possible elimination of recycling because there is no place that will accept the contents?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
What does the container or new trucks have to do with the possible elimination of recycling because there is no place that will accept the contents?
I think the issue was having to put recycles in plastic bags as opposed to in cans, and it got sidetracked further into trash pickup.

The way things go on these threads...
Old 06-12-2019, 01:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
But perhaps the developer could contract with a company that supplies trash cans and has the robot arm to pick them up.

When we rented one winter in the Low Country--Beaufort, SC--they had this type of trash pickup. What we learned from a neighbor was if it couldn't fit in the trash can and the lid be closed, they wouldn't take it. It's much more strict. On the plus side... in TV they will take just about anything, inside the bag or out. You could put your mother-in-law out there in a chair and they would take her.
Do they take ex wives as well?
Old 06-12-2019, 01:29 AM
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Composting smells. If being turned and maintained properly, you will get the odors of decaying materials. The smell resembles silage if you include greens.

A good working compost pile should have a lot more carbon than nitrogen. Nitrogen matter (lawn clippings, leaves, food scraps and manures) provide the mix for making the enzymes. Easy rule to follow is 1/3 green and 2/3 brown material.

With the requirements needed, the heat and the vermin, I wouldn’t want my neighbor composting.

Sorry, but when done properly, compost NEVER smells!
Heat, mostly from the sun, is exactly what is necessary to compost.
In all the many years I have composted, I have never had rats.

Most food scraps are a no-no as is manure. And where would you get manure anyway???
Plus, it would be pretty difficult for a critter to get into most compost bins designed for home use.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Do they take ex wives as well?
I think you have to call first.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I so agree with this. We need to produce less waste packaging, not focus on trying to chase dwindling recycle markets. I recently saw oranges in a grocery store that were wrapped in clear plastic film. WHY?
Yep...
Old 06-12-2019, 06:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Bingo!!!
Old 06-12-2019, 06:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

City of Wildwood uses a company with the arms as other have talked about. 1 blue can for garbage and 1 green can for recycles. Picked up once a week. If you have yard waste it can either go in the green can and or the big brown bags. My Daughters pickup is once a week for both cans and any brown bags. Bigger items you must call ahead for pickup. Those cans are provided by the Trash company I do believe because when she moved in the cans were already at the hose with the instructions printed on top. Perhaps IF we had a different trash hauler in TV we'd have the cans with the pickup arms. I do agree the US has gotten lazy as far as their recycle efforts.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
I've had a compost bin (but not a heap) right next to my A/C unit outside. It is no more unsightly than the compressor itself.

And BTW, for those who are not familiar with compost, it does NOT smell.
It -can- smell. Depends on how you do your composting. Out in the edges of the burbs near farmland, it's pretty common to grab a bucket of chicken poop from a neighbor's yard and add it to the heap to help break down the organic material. If the wind shifts and you're downwind of the shift, it can get pretty nauseating.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,350 Times in 2,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
It -can- smell. Depends on how you do your composting. Out in the edges of the burbs near farmland, it's pretty common to grab a bucket of chicken poop from a neighbor's yard and add it to the heap to help break down the organic material. If the wind shifts and you're downwind of the shift, it can get pretty nauseating.
It's the manure that stinks, not the compost.
Manure, compost, chalk and cheese.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
It's the manure that stinks, not the compost.
Manure, compost, chalk and cheese.
If you put chicken poop into your compost heap and mix it around, then it is your compost that is stinking. And you shouldn't ever put cheese in a compost heap.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
City of Wildwood uses a company with the arms as other have talked about. 1 blue can for garbage and 1 green can for recycles. Picked up once a week. If you have yard waste it can either go in the green can and or the big brown bags. My Daughters pickup is once a week for both cans and any brown bags. Bigger items you must call ahead for pickup. Those cans are provided by the Trash company I do believe because when she moved in the cans were already at the hose with the instructions printed on top. Perhaps IF we had a different trash hauler in TV we'd have the cans with the pickup arms. I do agree the US has gotten lazy as far as their recycle efforts.
Don't understand what cans get you. We had them in PA and it was a pain....to the degree that neighbors would let them out all day until they got home from work or the weather improved. This system is so much easier. Also, two stage trash trucks are noisier since the need to run them them at every stop and still need to compact. Here they run the compactor when the rear bin is full and that can take an entire block to fill. The cost of a two stage truck is more expensive and of course we would pay for that. Don't understand the infatuation with cans.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-12-2019, 12:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

There are simply too many folks who have the time and energy to complain and critisize, but do not have the time and energy to learn about the community in which they chose to live.
Closed Thread

Tags
meeting, june, baier, villages, recycling

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.