Possible Front Porch Extension

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2022, 10:32 AM
Default Possible Front Porch Extension

The boss and I really like sitting out on our front porch. We’d like to expand it a bit just to have a bit more room. The work would basically be an extension of the existing concrete.

I’d appreciate any recommendations you might have for somebody to do such work.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonu View Post
The boss and I really like sitting out on our front porch. We’d like to expand it a bit just to have a bit more room. The work would basically be an extension of the existing concrete.

First you need to contact ARC and see if an extension will be allowed. If you do not get approval and someone files a complaint you will probably be required to remove it.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
First you need to contact ARC and see if an extension will be allowed. If you do not get approval and someone files a complaint you will probably be required to remove it.
I do plan to get ARC approval…even though it will be almost invisible to anybody but us. Just 2-3 foot extension of the existing concrete in an already recessed front porch. It’s little more than space to fit a bit larger chairs and extend my rather tall body while I sit there.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote:
I do plan to get ARC approval…even though it will be almost invisible to anybody but us. Just 2-3 foot extension of the existing concrete in an already recessed front porch. It’s little more than space to fit a bit larger chairs and extend my rather tall body while I sit there.
Very good, the other item that you may need to take care of live water lines are NOT allowed under concrete pads, so you will probably need to have some lines relocated, not sure if a permit is required but a call to the local building department will clarify that. Finally make sure the existing slope is maintained, or you may have a significant puddling problem. Sorry I cannot suggest a contractor, as ours was done as part of a much bigger project.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,690 Times in 5,235 Posts

I would start by calling T&D Concrete. They may not do the job, but, maybe they could recommend a contractor. I had a great experience with them when I needed some small warranty repairs on my house.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:54 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Stokes Stucco in Wildwood.
They did ours and put a two foot wall up.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:

We had Robert Robey concrete (352-753-2462 ) put in a pad about 8 x 12 to extend our porch. Very happy with his work & our new porch.
He took care of the permits too!
Old 01-17-2022, 10:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired guy View Post
We had Robert Robey concrete (352-753-2462 ) put in a pad about 8 x 12 to extend our porch. Very happy with his work & our new porch.
He took care of the permits too!
Do you have proof that Robert Robey had ARC approve your 8 x 12 pad?

If not, then you may be forced to have it removed if someone complains about it. When you sell your house, you may have to show proof that your pad was approved by ARC.

We also had a pad put in front of our house, but we made sure that ARC approved it first.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:17 PM
Sage

We had Robert Robey put in a 8x10 patio ca. 2009. It is the only concrete we have that doesn't have a crack in it. Great job!
Old 01-17-2022, 03:08 PM

Another option is to use pavers instead of concrete. Only mentioned it as an option because our neighbors did that where they used to have a flower bed in front and basically created a patio in the back with them. I don't know if its cheaper but I'm sure it still requires ARC approval.
Closed Thread

Tags
front, bit, work, extension, porch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.