Possible scam?

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2017, 02:58 PM
Default Possible scam?

Posted items for sale. Received email from someone wanting to purchase one of the items, said they wanted to pay with certified cashiers check. I said I perferred cash never heard from them again. Maybe nothing but just a gut feeling. I don't take checks based on all the scams that go on.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:50 PM
Sage

Absolutely a scam. I've heard of this happening many times before. You can read about it on Google.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:53 PM

Happen to me recently with a washer and dryer. I said I wasn't interested in the offer.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

They will send you a fake cashiers check for way more than the purchase price. When you contact them, they will say can you send the extra amount via Western Union to my shipper and he will come and pick it up for me. They may have other explanations, but it all involves you sending the extra money to some third party, which is actually them and no one will come and pick up the item.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Platinum member
Angry Scam, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Md girl View Post
Posted items for sale. Received email from someone wanting to purchase one of the items, said they wanted to pay with certified cashiers check. I said I perferred cash never heard from them again. Maybe nothing but just a gut feeling. I don't take checks based on all the scams that go on.
My daughter sells Mary Kay beauty products on line. She gets these inquiries about accepting a "certified cashier's check." The only hitch is that the check is for more than the purchase, so the seller is asked to remit the excess right away, which is pocketed before the check bounces.

Or, the product is needed immediately --- before the check has time to go through the bank routine where it is found to be fake, and the scammer gets the product.

I would never ship product (or change) until the check had cleared and the payment was irrevocably mine.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:42 PM
Sage

My wife just got a similar e-mail the senders name Lanre Royce--might be a relative of a Nigerian prince who once told me I won a lottery.

The term " certified cashiers check" should be an automatic flag--this term is not common in the USA

Last edited by Chatbrat; 09-14-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
My daughter sells Mary Kay beauty products on line. She gets these inquiries about accepting a "certified cashier's check." The only hitch is that the check is for more than the purchase, so the seller is asked to remit the excess right away, which is pocketed before the check bounces.

Or, the product is needed immediately --- before the check has time to go through the bank routine where it is found to be fake, and the scammer gets the product.

I would never ship product (or change) until the check had cleared and the payment was irrevocably mine.
This is a common scam directed at Mary Kay. My late wife was a consultant for many years and we got these e mails all the time. Mary Kay usually sends out a warning when the scammers get active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
My wife just got a similar e-mail the senders name Lanre Royce--might be a relative of a Nigerian prince who once told me I won a lottery.

The term " certified cashiers check" should be an automatic flag--this term is not common in the USA
The other term to be even more careful of is "voucher"---apparently an African term for money order.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:13 PM
Administrator

All -

1) Please do not put your email or contact in the body of your listings. Only put them in the fields we request when you list your item. This will force someone to register as a TOTV user and contact you though the site. If there is a scam we can block the user and take further actions.

2) If this was someone who contacted you as a TOTV user please send us the user name.

Regards,

TOTV Team
Closed Thread

Tags
items, heard, scams, based, checks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.