Post Office Change of Address Advise for seasonal people - Permanent vs Temp

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Default Post Office Change of Address Advise for seasonal people - Permanent vs Temp

Each time we come down to The Villages I forward our mail to our home in The Villages. This time we were going to be here for somewhere around 6 or 7 months. The Postal Service gives you the option of a temp change of address (good for only 6 months with the option to renew after 6 months) or permanent change of address. Since we were going to be down here about 6 months or perhaps longer I decided to do a permanent change of address this time and avoid having to redo it once 6 months was over. Well it turns out it was a mistake (at least for us). The Post office notified every business that sent us main that we now have a new permanent change of address and then those business sent us mail requesting verification of the permanent change. Some business like insurance and Medicare Part D wanted to change us to new areas and policies that handled Fl instead of NY and Medicare Part D drugs also want to change our policy to a company that supported Fl - this we taught was strange since we had our Part D with AARP and assumed it was nationwide (It is they told me but not with the same drug company???) . Anyway to make a long story short if you are going to do a permanent change of address with the Post Office make sure you really want every business you deal with to be notified you have a new permanent address and have to respond back to them. Next time we will do a temporary change of address and renew it if we stay longer then 6 months.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Very often, we do not know or do not understand all the ramifications of a seemingly innocuous decision like a "Permanent Change of Address Card" for the post office. With computers, little boo-boos can blossom into major fu-fu's quite quickly. I think this illustrates that point in spades.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.