Post Office petition

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Gold member
Default Post Office petition

I read in the paper today that a petition is being circulated for a Village Post Office. I am delighted. :hot: :hot:
Please sign it so we can have a chance of getting an "onsight" P.O. that will be so much more convienent. The target is 30,000 signatures.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: Post Office petition

Would that mean our zip code would change?
Tampa, FL
Old 02-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Gold member

Okay if you get one, where should it be located? :dontknow:
Old 02-08-2008, 12:28 AM

That's what I was wondering. With such a huge area I wonder will they would locate a Village Post office. I currently drive to the Post Office on 466A in Fruitland Park. If The Villages located a new post office near 441 I would still continue to use the one in Fruitland Park. This does not mean I am against the idea; I just know I would go to the closest one regardless if it was inside or outside The Villages.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704
Okay if you get one, where should it be located? :dontknow:
I would say in Sumter Landing somewhere. That's close to the center of TV and far enough from Lady Lake, Oxford, Wildwood, and Fruitland Park post offices that already exist. Buffalo Ridge is too close to Oxford. Colony Plaza is too close to Fruitland Park. The new area south of 466A is too close to Wildwood. Mulberry Grove area is fairly close to Summerfield post office on 301 and it's too far from everything else in TV. (And since that area is in District 4, the POA would probably sue to take over mail delivery.) Just kidding!
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 02-08-2008, 02:42 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Not all of TV is 32162. A lot of it is 32159. I think the newer sections are 62.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-08-2008, 03:08 AM
Veteran member

A Post Office in the VIllages is badly needed but a community the size of The Villages should easily have 2 or more post offices.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:28 AM
Sage

Barb, from what I understand everyone on my side of 466 (not sure if that's north or south -- between 441 and 466) is 32159. I can use either Lady Lake or The Villages as my town, both seem to be accurate.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-08-2008, 03:52 AM

Wonderful idea, S. L. town sq. having a P.O. Where do we vote?
Some towns have a P.O. located in a small back room at a hardware, CVS or Hallmark
type store, rather than foot the huge bill for a regular building purchase or rental.
The store benefits from people coming to mail items and posibly purchasing goods while
posting.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:08 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle
I would say in Sumter Landing somewhere. That's close to the center of TV and far enough from Lady Lake, Oxford, Wildwood, and Fruitland Park post offices that already exist. Buffalo Ridge is too close to Oxford. Colony Plaza is too close to Fruitland Park. The new area south of 466A is too close to Wildwood. Mulberry Grove area is fairly close to Summerfield post office on 301 and it's too far from everything else in TV. (And since that area is in District 4, the POA would probably sue to take over mail delivery.) Just kidding!
Mulberry is also close to the Weisdale post office - 5 miles east of Buena Vista. Apparently the gist of the petition is to get something that is "golf cart accessible". That seems to be the theme of those south of 466. I am happy with what post office access I have since I very seldom have to go to an actual post office. I get my stamps from the ATM machine. Who is going to pay for the post office building and who is going to benefit from the sale of the property to build the post office?

I opt for it to be in Sumter county. They got the money to build it - ie new bond.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:52 AM
Sage

So, Barb, does that mean those of us with 32159 zip codes don't live in The Villages or just don't count?

Old 02-08-2008, 10:51 AM

I believe the PO machines only read the zip number to deliver your mail. It doesn't care what you write as far as the towns/villages name. So you can use The Villages, Fl 32159 or Lady Lake, Fl 32159 and it will still get to your home. I know because our mail comes to us with those two different addresses all of the time. As for the other zip code we were told when were purchased our home that it was The Villages zip code number but, The Villages didn't have enough residence to warrent a PO buidling. They needed to have something like 65,000 people, which they don't have as full time residence. Four to five months a year is like a ghost town here. PO employees love it. Most of the folks who are full time live in the 32159 zip code area and they won't be changing their zip code even when the building is done. It is just not cost effective for the PO to have so many PO's in this one area. Where it does go it will have to be in a commercial spot so I would say Sumter Landing would be the best bet. The only thing you people can do is get your family and friends to buy up more homes south of 466 to increase the number of people in that zip code area so you can get a Post Office built. LOL! I don't know if this information I got from the post master several years ago helps any but maybe it will.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Gold member

I live in a small town in upstate ny we are so small the mail is not delivered and we have to p/u our mail from our small po which employees three people yes they are local people -employed by the us gov i really cant understand why anyone would be against having a new po in the villages i dont care where it would be or how big it would put maybe at least three more people to work
Old 02-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beady

I read in the paper today that a petition is being circulated for a Village Post Office. I am delighted. :hot: :hot:
Please sign it so we can have a chance of getting an "onsight" P.O. that will be so much more convienent. The target is 30,000 signatures.
It looks like from the Villages Daily Sun February 7, 2008 article that people will be coming next week to 50 of the Villages post offices to get people to sign this petition. It does not give times though just days that people are going to show up.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac
It looks like from the Villages Daily Sun February 7, 2008 article that people will be coming next week to 50 of the Villages post offices to get people to sign this petition. It does not give times though just days that people are going to show up.
2:00 - 4:00 PM each day. One day at each mail station. I don't have the schedule at hand.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.