Are Postal Centers “Government Property”?

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
I am not wearing a mask to get my freaking mail.
I am.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqrstar View Post
RetiredGuy123 wrote "However, the locked interior space inside the postal center is probably considered Government property because it is controlled by the Federal Government. My opinion."

John41 wrote "No the postal stations, even the new post office, are leased."

So, I'm curious. . .

Does the government pay rent and utilities for the space?
What entity of The Villages collects the rent?
Who pays for utilities, electricity, water, and air conditioning?
To what Villages budget is the rent applied?
No they don't pay rent.
If they did pay rent it would be paid to the SLCDD or VCCDD
The utilities are covered in the SLAD (Sumter Landing Amenity Division) or RAC (Village Center Recreation Division) budgets.
If rent or utilities was paid to would be applied to the SLAD or RAD budgets.

It is exactly this reason (SLAD and RAD paying the costs) that I raised the issue, and it was corrected (at least partially) 2 years ago about the air conditioning in the postal facilities. They were running it at 65 degrees (or lower) year-round and leaving the door open when they were working inside the room. This was a waste of energy and an added expense to the budgets that paid the expense. Additionally, this was causing low temperatures in the room which as passed through to the metal frames of the postal boxes causing condensation and subsequent corrosion (rusting) and paint peeling of the mailbox frames.

Of course, the post office was, and still is, unwilling to do any maintenance of these facilities or burden any of the costs associated. DPM has limited ability to do any maintenance to the interior of these facilities because they are "government property" and they don't have a key to the rooms. Some arrangements and agreements have been made between the local postmaster and DPM on the maintenance and upkeep of these facilities (at our cost of course) but, in my opinion, it is still not up to the standards we as residents have come to expect for our community. The USPS has yielded little on this matter and their "holy sanctuaries", as they seem to feel they are, continue to be a maintenance issue and in many cases an eyesore and an embarrassment to our community.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 01-22-2021, 06:59 AM

This is the most ridiculous thing I think I have read here.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
I am not wearing a mask to get my freaking mail.
So don’t get your mail
Old 01-22-2021, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriS View Post
This is the most ridiculous thing I think I have read here.
I guess you don't read very many threads?
Old 01-22-2021, 07:17 AM
Veteran member

why don't you go inside and ask???
Old 01-22-2021, 07:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Money is gov property so when its in your pocket ?..........................Must you
Old 01-22-2021, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lions View Post
I don’t understand the point of this post. We do not need someone to dictate what to do when we all know what is the right thing. When you get out of your car golf cart to get your mail, wear a mask. It’s that simple.
Nah...no need to wear a mask OUTSIDE when you can easily keep your distance from someone. Unless you hang around and chat for a few minutes close to someone there is no need to wear a mask. Even this new variant of the virus does not concern me when it comes to stepping outside the car to get the mail. It takes about 15 seconds to retrieve the mail, OUTSIDE and another 5 seconds to get back in the car. Let's not get crazy about this.

No one is more of a proponent of mask wearing than I am. I have contributed countless posts and videos on this forum on the necessity of wearing masks INDOORS all the time. The only exception is when I'm seated in a restaurant or bar AWAY from others and am actively eating or drinking. If I can not be guaranteed of being seated away from others, I do not patronize that establishment. Since this pandemic started, I have NEVER sat at a dining table with anyone other than my husband, not even family. We called off the holidays in 2020. THAT is how strongly I feel that mask wearing is necessary, INDOORS.

As for OUTDOORS, I make sure I'm not close to anyone so always keep my distance of at least 10 feet and that includes the couple of times I have been to the squares to listen to music. Wearing a mask at the mail center???? Nah.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default I Knew Where This Was Going...

... after reading Page 1.

Please, folks, please... if you choose not to wear a mask to protect yourself, OK. But I beg you to wear one to protect me, and others like me who if they get infected will become very, very sick or probably die.

That’s not my opinion, but what my doctors tell me. I beg you to do my wife and I the favor of helping to keep us well. Please just wear a mask whenever you’re indoors or even outdoors if you’re near other people
Old 01-22-2021, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyfeh View Post
I am.
Aren't you glad you have the choice to WEAR your mask anytime you wish? Is this a great country or what?
Old 01-22-2021, 07:32 AM

I agree with 72lions. Even if you don’t believe in masks, put it on for the minute or two that it takes. Be smart!!!!
Old 01-22-2021, 07:38 AM

It doedn:t hurt to wear a mask at the postal centers, gov:t or not, for 100 days.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Our new President sign an executive order mandating mask be worn on government property? Are the postal centers considered “government property”?

Keep your answers non-political! :-)
Are you asking about actual Post Offices or the boxes at each village?
I could be mistaken but my understanding is that Post Offices, even though they are leased, are considered federal property.
The boxes you get your mail at are not classified as federal property.
They are protected by the federal government for tampering purposes.
Just like the mail box in front of your house in most of the country. the home owner owns it but it is a federal offence to tamper with it or the mail inside of it.
As a contractor, whenever we did any work in a post office, I had to adhere to the federal regulations and inspections were directed by the federal government.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:43 AM

What difference does it make? You should be wearing your mask near people.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lions View Post
I don’t understand the point of this post. We do not need someone to dictate what to do when we all know what is the right thing. When you get out of your car golf cart to get your mail, wear a mask. It’s that simple.
You mean simply idiotic
Closed Thread

Tags
centers, “government, property”, postal, mask

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.