Postal Station trash Cans...overflowing

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2020, 10:23 PM

I agree. They should just remove the trash cans. Problem solved.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:55 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,757 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forebubba View Post
Postal Station garbage.
Why are people putting their garbage in the trash cans at the postal stations? Not all of it its unwanted Mail as bags of what ever is is hanging out the sides of the cans.
People can see the can is overflowing yet they leave their nwanted mail even on top of the can. More unwanted Mail is lying on the ground.
I picked it up and took it home so that the wind does not scatter it all over. Keep the The Villages beautiful. Is it so difficult to take and sort your Mail at home?
This happens a lot at the Buttonwood station. Not sure how the others are.
That's very thoughtless, how difficult is it to take it home and throw it away there ! But, it's nothing compared to the overwhelming amount of DOG POOP always stuffed in ours ? What in the world makes people think THE place to have their dog's poop is in the yard of the postal stations right next to the pools (what a wonderful smell), or, in the yards of OTHER people, NEVER in their own yards ? Why does the Villages even spend money on dog parks ? Did someone say it's arrogance ? Privileged ? Entitled ? You are a rare person to pick up the litter of others, and dispose of it. Sure, the Villages "should" see that these are emptied more often (I've thought for years ours should be much larger when I see the mess around it and the stuffing of poop (which clearly states NOT to do !)..... ! Go figure ! Slobs ? ? Thoughtless ? But these are the same people who will walk their dogs several blocks to make sure they go in someone else's yard so..... not really the brightest bulbs in the fixture !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 12-03-2020 at 11:58 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-04-2020, 04:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Perhaps... now that people know there is no recycling, more are dropping off their junk mail instead of taking it home and recycling it?
We may not have to sort trash anymore but isn't Covanta trash to energy STILL recycling the trash? As far as I know, it is.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Correct, but they could be good for your garden as fertilizer.

But it turns out that coffee grounds contain a good amount of the essential nutrient nitrogen as well as some potassium and phosphorus, plus other micronutrients. ... To use coffee grounds as a fertilizer sprinkle them thinly onto your soil, or add them to your compost heap.
Many homeowners have rocks in their flower beds. How would coffee grounds look on top of those decorative rocks?
Old 12-04-2020, 06:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don5154 View Post
I suggest the trash cans be removed from the postal stations. No need for them to be there
There are no trash cans at the new post office in the historic district. Perhaps that a sign on things to come.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:14 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Why do you shred junk mail with your address on it, anyone that want's that information just has to go to the county tax site and they can see it all quicker than going through trash.
That is true, but.... there are other reasons that don't involve individuals with that much where with all to actually go there, ask to look up. It's just a very good routine but to each their own.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:25 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFER54 View Post
‘Gotta get a bigger can.’
That is the ONLY true answer, along with possibly empty more often (which probably would not happen as it would change some "schedule" for cleaning, etc. but could happen IF it began to interfere with profit perhaps. If potential buyers began mentioning the unsightliness to sales reps, I suppose it could get some attention then), but just using COMMON SENSE, not putting anything in a can that is obviously FULL, or adding another can or larger cans (but that would mean MORE money for a larger size !), so we are back to common SENSE and DECENCY again... don't throw things on the ground (mail, poop, old coffee and food containers, ash trays from cars, on the GROUND when the can is FULL) how hard is that to understand ?
Old 12-04-2020, 10:38 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecinks1@gmail.com View Post
If the USPS didn't give advertisers ENORMOUS discounts, we wouldn't get so much JUNK MAIL! They pay next to nothing to send us all those unwanted brochures and catalogs. The junk clogs our trash cans; imagine what it does to our landfills!
Why aren't enviro-fanatics screaming about the trees that are cut to create all that junk and the dilemma it creates in trash management? They're so invested in getting rid of plastic straws, but never complain about the extreme amount of wasted paper in junk mail!
Of course, the reality is junk mail saved thousands of union jobs at the post office. Twenty years ago, the USPS was threatening to reduce mail delivery to 3 or 4 days a week. So what? Most messages are now sent via email or text. "Snail mail" is a relic of the past. But, any reductions in service meant the union would have less workers and less dues being paid. Can't have that! The more junk mail to be delivered, the more workers they have to employ!
Me thinks you might draw the "haters"..... you are getting way too close to the real reasons; always look beneath the surface ! Plastic straws, BAD, junk mail, GOOD. Toilet paper, BAD (people should buy more bidets, SAVE TREES), paper towels, BAD, use terry cloth and the laundry (SAVE TREES), but junk mail, even use plastic & metal to ATTACH KEYS (???) to cardboard advertising, perfectly acceptable (100,000 metal keys or more a day going into land fills in every state ? ) It's really difficult to logically explain PEOPLE !
Old 12-04-2020, 10:54 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGodin View Post
I was walking my dog near the Paradise post boxes and observed a man and woman pull up in a golf cart, extract 2 bags of beer cans from the basket, and drop them by the garbage can. They then left.
I have seen garbage by the post boxes more than once. Don't know why people feel the post box is their private dumping ground.
Yep, observed the SAME thing, more than once. And the bags of dog poop...because THEY don't want that smell at their home, in their garage, or garbage cans. And, how many of you have seen the commercials vans and BIG trucks clean out all their soda cans, empty sacks and sandwich boxes, saw one lawn guy throw his dirty socks into trash can (thankfully) after he emerged from the men's room of the swimming pool by the postal station where he had obviously been washing his FEET ! Dah !
Old 12-04-2020, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Many homeowners have rocks in their flower beds. How would coffee grounds look on top of those decorative rocks?
Assuming you are joking (hopefully) that comment would be "groundless". (pun intended). If not joking than the answer would be "then don't use coffee ground on your rocks."
Old 12-04-2020, 05:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't know why two people have mentioned it recently. Are people returning to their snowbird homes and finding their mailbox full? It really doesn't seem to me to be a thing to be upset about at all. We live right across from our mail station and see a fellow in a black pick up come and pick up the trash at ours. He has a job, the trash is picked up and all ends well. Is this some kind of propaganda from some group? Some new movement?

WE are about to see a Pandemic end soon and we sit around and fuss about putting trash in trash cans? I have NEVER seen a mess at either of the postal stations we used here in The Villages. Why do people find stuff to complain about when there is so much that is positive....and much bigger things that are sad and angry making?
Same 25 people who complained about the pools being closed, they complain about everything, get a life.
Closed Thread

Tags
mail, postal, station, cans, garbage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.