Poster Posturing?

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2015, 11:55 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Poster Posturing?

Can one really get to know what a poster is or is not? I mean other than the monthly meet and greet at Crisper's what do you know about a poster other than what they submit in writing?

Are there "tells" like in poker? Do other posters really digest what someone else has written? I get the impression that some posters never read anything except the tag line and then immediately post their opinion. I get the impression that those who do read posts seldom analyze and attempt to read between the lines. And yes there are a few who are really good at summing up an opinion.

I'll admit I can't tell a troll from a tender foot but then my focus is on responding to the comments made and not in drawing judgments. so a troll could get right pass me without difficulty but then whether troll or tender foot it will be the same response unemotional logical and as honest as my knowledge of the subject matter can be. What do you believe?
Old 02-15-2015, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I really believe that some people have the gift of reading other people very well. Usually they have had this honed to a high skill practicing parenting and /or managing people or meeting the public a LOT.

Some people's personalities are very literal. They usually are quite smart in things like engineering, and they don't usually have quite the sense of mischief/humor that others have. But they produce amazing bridges and know just when and where to invest money.

But as Mr. Rogers always says; we all are SPECIAL. lol.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:17 PM

welcome to the real world.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
But as Mr. Rogers always says; we all are SPECIAL. lol.
"Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." --Margaret Mead
Old 02-15-2015, 03:59 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Effective communication is better than 50% body language. Inflection,demeanor and cadence when speaking offer clues.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:11 PM
Sage

I think most people that have many posts and have read the entire forum for several months/years, have a good idea of where a person is coming from. I like to think that some people are a good judge of character and usually don't misunderstand a person after a certain poster, has made a few posts.

Obviously, there are times where this form of communication leaves something to be desired and misunderstanding anothers point of view, because it was not fully expressed. There are those who don't take the proper time, and their truncated point of view, leads to a misunderstanding or as you have suggested, they don't read the entire thread before responding.

Sometimes, humor is lost on some people, and some people are humorless.

Some people bring sunshine to the forum when they enter and some, when they leave.

Taking care to express oneself fully, usually leaves little room to be misunderstood and some people try hard to, "say what they mean, and mean what they say".

There are some people who are transparent, genuine, and some who like to remain unknown. Only meeting people face to face, does one gets to full import, of their communication skills and if they have an agreeable and sincere nature.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Veteran member

I agree with what 2BNTV said.

I would add that some posters are so completely delusional or self-absorbed or in such a perpetual state of denial that they can not see the negative energy they are putting out is the negative energy they are getting back.

Others have a quick wit, which is often a welcome relief when we get too heavy, but sometimes they are so quick to be funny that they inadvertently step on some toes.

I try to be genuine and authentic, but do find I self-edit on touchy topics. Then again, isn't that what we do in person-to-person conversations?

The few posters I have met in person are exactly as they appear on this forum.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Last edited by Wandatime; 02-16-2015 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Additional wording
Old 02-16-2015, 09:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
....Are there "tells" like in poker? Do other posters really digest what someone else has written? I get the impression that some posters never read anything except the tag line and then immediately post their opinion. I get the impression that those who do read posts seldom analyze and attempt to read between the lines. And yes there are a few who are really good at summing up an opinion.....
You hit the nail on the head rub!!
Old 02-16-2015, 11:04 PM
Sage

I don't think you would recognize me.
In my posts I am tall, good looking with a perfect smile and a devil may care attitude, a real dandy with a British accent and a twinkle in my left eye and a patch on my right.
In person I look like your Uncle Eddie.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
In my posts I am tall, good looking with a perfect smile and a devil may care attitude, a real dandy with a British accent and a twinkle in my left eye and a patch on my right.
Dang, you burst my bubble.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 02-17-2015, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Rubicon,

You haven't posted in a couple of days. I hope I have not said anything insensitive to you because you are way up there on the list of folks that I admire.

AND I am good at figuring out people by their posts.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:25 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
James Bond with a patch.

Cool!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.