Power Wash...Do It Yourself or Hire Done?

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2017, 11:03 AM
Default Power Wash...Do It Yourself or Hire Done?

Just moved here in January. It is time to power wash our home, something that doesn't happen much in 0% humidity Kansas. I never power washed anything in my life. So, my question is, should I buy a power washer and do it myself or hire it done? There are glowing reviews of services that do this for you. While I'm at it, I have read nice reviews of an electric power washer that is economical vs. gas which have more power. I'd prefer to not mess with gas power but if electric is not good, I'd love to hear input. There are other applications I could see to owning a power washer and that interests me. I don't know the chemicals used to wash either, but assume I can read about and purchase grass and environment friendly products. Thanks in advance for advice.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Sage

Maybe I'm just lazy, but I find the cost of having someone do my home, including lanai and cage, is just so reasonable and not having to wonder about the chemicals used so nice, that I just pay someone. And go play golf while it's done. Perfect.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

mike is right!
Old 06-06-2017, 12:03 PM

Just bought a house in Polo Ridge. I saw a guy cleaned with citrus base and gently power washed it away. Worked well and he told me like $55, just the siding of the house. I lost his card,.. dawn it! When I find it will let you know.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:26 PM

Not there but here in Pa I gas power wash deck yearly and have done aluminum siding in the past. Be careful as you can strip material off including brick with some washers. I am handy and would never pay if I could do it for same price myself. Also think I would do a better job but most times that is proven to cost me more in long run. But power washing is easy as long as you figure out the equipment.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Taking the chance of tearing something off/up on my house using a 'power' wash and the relatively low cost of hiring someone...makes the choice really easy for me.

I have had excellent results with Egner's...since they offer low pressure w/chemicals.

Egner's Exterior Cleaning

You can find lots of posts in this forum on them using the search feature.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:35 PM

Recommend No-Pressure House Washing 352-728-2768. They use a low pressure citrus wash. I have it done twice a year and am very pleased with results. Also minimal cost. I have lived in Fl for many years and have seen the damage than can happen with high pressure washes.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakon View Post
Not there but here in Pa I gas power wash deck yearly and have done aluminum siding in the past. Be careful as you can strip material off including brick with some washers. I am handy and would never pay if I could do it for same price myself. Also think I would do a better job but most times that is proven to cost me more in long run. But power washing is easy as long as you figure out the equipment.
Not there but here....?
Old 06-06-2017, 01:35 PM

Washing the house twice a year is easy and a good work out. Win-Win. For me anyway.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Sage

Tried to power wash our patio once a few years ago. Ended up running the power washer over my foot and cut it open! We hire it done for around $55. Like that they also do the outside of the windows and the bird cage. For extra they did our driveway to remove the tire marks.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Maybe I'm just lazy, but I find the cost of having someone do my home, including lanai and cage, is just so reasonable and not having to wonder about the chemicals used so nice, that I just pay someone. And go play golf while it's done. Perfect.
My exact thought.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Definitely DIY; I have a Troy-Bilt washer and I've done my home a couple of times in the 2 years I've been here. I'm just one of those people that figures I can do it as well as someone that I could pay my hard earned money to; I even changed the oil in the Escape and the cart today.

Most projects a person can do is not "rocket science"; most are just common sense if you take your time.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I have done both. I have power washed the driveway, lanai and birdcage several time myself, and continue to these myself. I use a Ryobi electric power washer which works very well. I have done the house twice, then used a contractor. I was disappointed when I ended up with very noticeable stains after the contractor finished. After I called him back, and he came out to look, it was determined that the staining was due to irrigation water. He recommended SNO WHITE, which I purchased at ACE Hardware. I applied this myself, and just hosed off, and all id good.
My point is this, if you do the job yourself, you can see what is happening, and make adjustments. If you hire a contractor you may end up doing some work yourself anyway.
Now everyone is going to ask who did I use, this was Enger's, and I was very pleased with the job in general, but what happened was the stains that were barely visible prior to cleaned became an eyesore after. I was expecting this to be made correct, but it was explained that this happens some time. While I would tend to use Enger's again in the future, I would have a detailed discussion on my expectations of the final result. For the time being, I will probably do my own, when the water restrictions allow......
Old 06-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have done both. I have power washed the driveway, lanai and birdcage several time myself, and continue to these myself. I use a Ryobi electric power washer which works very well...
I was just in Home Depot on Saturday and they had a bunch of these Ryobi 2800 psi models sitting up front for $299 and the 3100 psi model for $399. I didn't want to buy one without reading reviews. That one has 4-1/2 stars out of 5 from 823 people, however if you look at the bad reviews there are 62 people who gave it 1 star. You just can't find one that has flying colors all the way.

The HD Website said they have 34 in stock in Lady Lake.

Ryobi 2800-PSI 2.3-GPM Honda Power Control Gas Pressure Washer-RY802800 - The Home Depot

The Villages Florida
Old 06-06-2017, 04:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,042 Times in 369 Posts

I started having the power washing done by the company that cleaned the house when it was new. They did fine twice, then did an okay job, then caused damage to an exterior light fixture and poked a hole in the patio door screen. I went back to doing it myself using JoMax (mixed with water and a little bleach). You just spray it on, wait a few minutes, and rinse it off with a hose, no power washer needed. I have a Briggs & Stratton power washer I use for the lanai and patio concrete, the sidewalks and driveway.
Closed Thread

Tags
power, washer, wash, reviews, electric

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.