Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2020, 09:35 AM

Go with a tankless water heater.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:45 AM
Veteran member
Default A/C for lanai & garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Our house is 9 yrs old--planing in replacing the a/c & hot water heater @ the 10 yr mark

When we do the a/c --we will install a/c in the lanai & the garage

And the new hot water heater will be a 50 gal model vs the 40 gal one we currently have

Wondering has anyone here done anything similar
You may want to check with someone, but I believe that if you add A/C to your lanai, you are increasing the square feet of the living area in your home. That will affect your tax assessment for property taxes. Don’t know for sure, but that’s what I have heard.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcooper70 View Post
Why are we not replacing water heaters with the tankless heaters that they have developed? Why should we use so much energy to keep 40-50 gallons hot all the time?

Anyone have experience with tankless?
That's a common myth. How do I know? My whole house electricity monitor checks the usage 86.4 million times a day. I have used my Wi-Fi monitor to check exactly how much it costs to keep water hot in an empty house vice an occupied one.

Think about it for a moment, it costs the same to heat water no matter what, the only energy a tankless saves is standby loss. An average couple will uses 13.00 to 16.00 per month for a tanked heater. Standby losses run about 2.00 a month.

Edit to clarify: Obviously I speak of an electric home.

For a gas home, where natural gas is almost completely consumed by the hwh, a tankless makes no economic sense at all. The meter fees for the gas line far exceed the total consumption costs for a tanked or tankless heater. Sure, if you have a gas heater pool or just like gas then cost isn't relevant.

Last edited by Toymeister; 05-22-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:08 AM

My a/c lasted 16 years, why replace so soon. Water heater lasted 14 years, replaced with a gas tank less offered by the gas company for a huge discount via rebate. You should at least wait a few more years. For a/c call Chuck Farrell, his pricing is amazing and excellent service.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:13 AM
Platinum member

Why do people NOT like tankless?

1. Expense.

2. The promised energy savings are a myth.

3. Tankless hwh require annual flushing. While simple it is necessary.

4. The cold sandwich effect. Let's say you take a shower first, the water flows, the flow sensor turns the heater on after a moment delay, the pipes clear of cold water and you get hot. Your wife takes a shower ten minutes after you. Nice and hot! Then a blast of cold(er) water until the pipes fill again with hot.

You can get a circulating pump to correct this, this will more than negate any standby savings.

Why DO people like tankless?

1. Space savings

2. Endless hot water.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I had this happen to me up north years ago. I had to go to home depot and get a cap. I'll never drain a water heater tank again.
That is a good point. If you do plan to open the drain valve on your water heater, for any reason, you should buy a plastic or brass cap and rubber washer that fits onto the drain line. Then, you are prepared in case the valve leaks after you close it.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:18 AM

My house was built in 2006. It is 14 years old. My air and water heater are in great shape. I have seen many people who replace 'because it is getting old' why spend money before you have to???
Old 05-22-2020, 11:53 AM

Hwh ( hot water heater )…………. Just wondering... Does anyone know of a cold water heater ??????

They are simply water heaters. Lol
Old 05-22-2020, 12:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMLUPO77 View Post
Hwh ( hot water heater )…………. Just wondering... Does anyone know of a cold water heater ??????

They are simply water heaters. Lol
Actually there are storage water heaters, tankless water heaters or simple Hot Water Systems (HWS). But this doesn't add anything to the conversation does it?

When a thread gets to the point that grammar is discussed I am done. Any questions on the topic (for me) shoot me a PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicxyz View Post
Electric tankless water heaters are readily available.
They are, for sure. Know anyone who has one installed....let alone has one installed and see's any difference in efficiency and cost?
Old 05-22-2020, 01:30 PM

Make sure you look at a split system for the lanai. It gave us another year round room. Costs to run are low.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
But, it is interesting that there is a Federal Government label on my 40 gallon water heater that says the estimated cost to operate it is $555 per year. That's funny, because my total electric cost for my all electric house is only about $1100 per year.
Your electric bill is dirt cheap. Our natural gas plus electricity costs are around $300 a month in Minnesota. The electricity costs a little over 13 cents per KWH, not including the "junk" fees. How many square footage do you have, and what temperature is your AC set at? How much does your electricity cost per KWH?
Old 05-22-2020, 03:32 PM

Purchase a home warrantee from Broward factory co and they will replace your appliances when they will repair or replace an appliance.
A/c, washer, dryer, fridge, etc. it’ll be worth it.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Your electric bill is dirt cheap. Our natural gas plus electricity costs are around $300 a month in Minnesota. The electricity costs a little over 13 cents per KWH, not including the "junk" fees. How many square footage do you have, and what temperature is your AC set at? How much does your electricity cost per KWH?
I have about 1100 SF and the thermostat is set at 77 degrees 24/7. My house is all electric, no gas. My current electric bill for the month was $79.34 for 585 kwh of usage.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:16 AM
Default Expansion Tanks

There's a lot of good info on this thread about water heaters. One point I would like to mention is the expansion tanks most homes have them located on top of the hot water tanks. They are a small metal tank( looks similar to a propane tank) that regulates the water pressure in the home. The hot water heats up in the hot water tank and builds pressure from the heat. The expansion tank regulates the pressure from building up too high in all the pipes in the house. They should be checked annually to see if the pressure is close to the average water pressure coming into your home ( usually around 60-80 psi). There is a Schrader valve on top and you can use a tire gauge to check the pressure. Another quick way to see if it's blown is to simply tap on the tank and see if it's full of water. Start tapping on the bottom of the tank and it will sound like a thud and continue to tap all the way to the top to see if it sounds hollow on top. Normally the tank will be filled half way with water on the bottom and empty on top. If it sounds like a thud all the way through it should be replaced ASAP. Since the average pressure in the villages has recently increased we have found a large majority of these tanks blown. This also can do damage your hot water tanks and cause leaks in fittings and hoses throughout the home if is not working properly. Tankless water heaters do not have these. And many older homes do not either. It is recommended in the industry to have one installed ( excluding tankless) if your hot water tank does not have one. Also if you check the pressure on the tank and water comes out of the valve it's blown and should be replaced ASAP. I believe part of the problem stems from the tank not being pressurized properly when installed. Most tanks seem to last a average of 3-5 years if not properly installed. Definitely worth checking to see if your tank is working properly. There's a ton of info online to explain how these work if you want to research.
Closed Thread

Tags
a/c, gal, heater, water, hot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.