To the (presumably) nice gentleman....

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2016, 06:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts
Default To the (presumably) nice gentleman....

who was headed east on Hendry Dr. and turned into the Collier pool/mailboxes 15 minutes ago. You are LUCKY (no skill involved on your part). Since I was on the road and you were in the cart lane, and there was a merge about 125 feet ahead, I did what I always do--slowed down to 15 intending to let you merge first. I expected that you would notice and continue to the merge. What I DID NOT expect was that you would swerve, without a directional or hand signal, right in front of me to make a left DIRECTLY FROM the cart path into the mailbox area. Now, if I was one of those drivers, of which there are many, that try to race a cart to the merge at 35, you would now be on your way to the hospital or the morgue. Your 500# cart is no match for my 4800# SUV. So for you, and anyone who is new or inexperienced with driving on roads with cart lanes, PLEASE be careful. NEVER turn directly left from the cart lane. ALWAYS put your directional on AND use a hand signal. ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings.

Thank you very much.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:58 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Very true. If he keeps doing it the groundhog will be delivering his future mail!
Old 12-01-2016, 09:01 AM
Veteran member

Just another idiot unaware of anything but himself. Sad.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
who was headed east on Hendry Dr. and turned into the Collier pool/mailboxes 15 minutes ago. You are LUCKY (no skill involved on your part). Since I was on the road and you were in the cart lane, and there was a merge about 125 feet ahead, I did what I always do--slowed down to 15 intending to let you merge first. I expected that you would notice and continue to the merge. What I DID NOT expect was that you would swerve, without a directional or hand signal, right in front of me to make a left DIRECTLY FROM the cart path into the mailbox area. Now, if I was one of those drivers, of which there are many, that try to race a cart to the merge at 35, you would now be on your way to the hospital or the morgue. Your 500# cart is no match for my 4800# SUV. So for you, and anyone who is new or inexperienced with driving on roads with cart lanes, PLEASE be careful. NEVER turn directly left from the cart lane. ALWAYS put your directional on AND use a hand signal. ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings.

Thank you very much.

A good reminder for EVERYONE! Thanks.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts

I see golf carts often making a left turn directly from the cart lane. Sometimes they have a left turn signal on and sitting in the cart lane waiting for traffic to pass before they proceed.

I think it's likely that the cart driver does not know to signal and move into the car lane when appropriate and make the left turn from the car lane into a street/mailboxes pool or wherever. It's a problem and I can understand why some are reluctant to get in front of some drivers they have observed for fear they will rear end them. If I have a choice, I always take the trails but many times there is no choice. There is no good answer to that problem.

OP, good advise to drivers "always be aware of your surroundings". When driving my 4,500 pound vehicle, I sure don't want to come in contact with a golf cart. I assume all of us feel that way and treat a driver in a golf cart the way we want to be treated when in our golf cart.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default Golf Cart Safety and Liability

This is an excellent snippet on the liability exposure of including golf carts in monthly rentals. You can have all sorts of disclaimers, but regardless of who is driving it, you as the owner are liable.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Email Reported As Spam

My take on golf cart drivers who turn from the diamond lane actually believe they are being cautious lessening their chances of an accident.
you will never convinced them that a hand/mechanical signal and merging into a driving lane before making a left turn is safer
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, merge, lane, directional, signal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.