Price gouging CVS

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2019, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Price gouging CVS

I don't mind a little profit but I was shocked when purchasing melatonin adult gummy same brand, $17.99, while at Walmart $8.88, even quantity at Walmart was more. Is this typical of CVS?????

Last edited by jebartle; 03-04-2019 at 03:32 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Assuming they are identical in EVERY WAY CVS and/or WALGREENS never pretends to be a discount store, more of a "convenience" store which always have higher prices except for their weekly booklet items. WALMART has ALWAYS claimed to be a discount store. Sometimes one needs "convenience" and other times one wants low prices. I just got 900 tabs ibuprophen at Costco for $8, probably a lifetime supply. I just finished a bottle of 800 which had a SELL BY of 2012! 50 tabs are 3 or $4 even at discount stores but I had to drive an hour to get it. Convenience or price? You have to make the choice.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Which means it isn't gouging....just their business.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-03-2019, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I don't mind a little profit but I was shocked when purchasing melatonin adult gummy same brand, $17.99, while at Walmart $8.88, even quantity at Walmart was more. Is this typical of CVS?????
The answer to this is 2 fold -

Believe it or not, most pharmacies make more money overall from the stuff they sell out front, not from prescription medications, so the prices are often not going to be as competitive as say Walmart's, Costco's, or Sam Club's prices. Places like Walmart, for example, have many different departments to spread out their gains and losses and therefore can afford to be more competitive than a pharmacy chain where their concentration on merchandise is more limited.

The other factor is in the buying. I can often get better prices at Costco's or Walmart's for OTC items than I can get at cost buying them from where I work (an independent pharmacy). Owning a pharmacy is a tough business. It's not as lucrative as it may seem especially if you're a lone ranger so to speak. That's why you see so few independents out there anymore.

Hope this answers your question a little better.

Last edited by Abby10; 03-04-2019 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Additional info added
Old 03-04-2019, 04:33 AM
Sage

Looks like my hammer hands had a spelling hiccup!
Old 03-04-2019, 11:24 AM

CVS does not accept/support TRICARE (military/retiree insurance). So I do not support CVS.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 03-04-2019, 01:56 PM

Check out prices on Amazon. Search on the generic name. You will have to buy larger quantities but at a cheaper price per tablet.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:00 PM
Veteran member

I will not shop at either. Publix has just about everything CVS and WalGreens has and I have found items 50% higher at Walgreens than even Publix.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvillager View Post
Check out prices on Amazon. Search on the generic name. You will have to buy larger quantities but at a cheaper price per tablet.
I love Amazon but they are $6 higher, same brand.
My husband laughs at my frugalness, oh heck, let's call it like it is, I'm tight! For me it's a game, I learned from my Mom, a depression baby, and it's hard to break.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
The answer to this is 2 fold -

Believe it or not, most pharmacies make more money overall from the stuff they sell out front, not from prescription medications, so the prices are often not going to be as competitive as say Walmart's, Costco's, or Sam Club's prices. Places like Walmart, for example, have many different departments to spread out their gains and losses and therefore can afford to be more competitive than a pharmacy chain where their concentration on merchandise is more limited.

The other factor is in the buying. I can often get better prices at Costco's or Walmart's for OTC items than I can get at cost buying them from where I work (an independent pharmacy). Owning a pharmacy is a tough business. It's not as lucrative as it may seem especially if you're a lone ranger so to speak. That's why you see so few independents out there anymore.

Hope this answers your question a little better.
Tonto here, Abby you know I know that you know a whole lot about the business and I like learning from your posts about these Big Chain Stores. I swear unless it's an emergency to never set foot inside Walgreens, CVS again. I know they are under the gun but they are disrespectful also. There are too many alternatives to pay their dopey prices and take their abuse. Anybody who does us dirty business wise is going to the curb, no more giving them another chance. I have found out that nice guy's finish NOTHING but last.

Benzer Pharmacy or Publix is it for me from here on out.

The disrespect towards people who are feeble and can't fend for themselves is sad and I saw it with my own eyes at Walgreen's on Bella Cruz. They should be ashamed of themselves. I'm voting with my wallet. We're out!
Old 03-07-2019, 03:49 PM
Veteran member

Capitalism.

Tags
walmart, cvs, $8.88, $17.99, brand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.