Price of Groceries in Florida

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsgypsylady View Post
For those that complain that food, gas, etc. is higher than where they came from, then I say go back to where you came from. From where you came there was probably a state income tax; there is none in FL. One can't have everything. Be happy for what you've got - you could be living on the streets and not know where you next meal will come from.
Wow kinda rude in my opinion! People have a valid grip about food costs here and have the right to voice a complaint. Doesn't mean they don't still love it here. Yes it's a trade off on a lot of things but Publix especially is very high especially the deli section which is outrageous! When I want high quality meat I go to Fresh Market and watch their sales you'll find they're cheaper than Publix and better quality. When I want really good meat we take a day drive to St. Pete, visit the coast and shop at Mazzuros Italian Market. Best bakery, meats and cheeses and deli anywhere!. Also watch Winn Dixie ads. We have no sales tax on food which means you have to just learn to shop smart

Last edited by rdhdleo; 01-13-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Groceries may be more but how does the price of your home compare? Il bet it is a lot less than up north.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsgypsylady View Post
For those that complain that food, gas, etc. is higher than where they came from, then I say go back to where you came from. From where you came there was probably a state income tax; there is none in FL. One can't have everything. Be happy for what you've got - you could be living on the streets and not know where you next meal will come from.

More tee times and less traffic.......
Old 01-12-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassieinva View Post
we agree. We just arrived from just outside washington d.c. And food prices here are a lot more. Wondering what options we have in addition to public and winn dixie.
walmart
Old 01-12-2015, 11:36 AM
Eternal Member

We like to eat early. I can't do a big meal when it gets late. Most of the time we like to get smaller meals.
I like Longhorn. When I do go, I like to order a filet. Flo's filet for lunch, is $17.49. For dinner, is $19.49.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieInVa View Post
We agree. We just arrived from just outside Washington D.C. and food prices here are a lot more. Wondering what options we have in addition to Public and Winn Dixie.
Home prices and taxes are 1/2 here, what there are in the Wash. metro area. You can by a lot of food with the money you saved.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Gold member

Grocery bills are highly subjective and they depend on how much you eat, and whether planning, cooking, eating and cleaning up after 3 meals are the main priority of the day.

Also, there are other mitigating factors that are more favorable here.

From this Map of State Income Tax, it looks like Minnesota runs neck and neck with Oregon for the No. 2 ranking in the nation, second only to California.

Top State Income Tax Rates in 2014 | Tax Foundation

This map showing The Real Value of $100 for Each State shows MN and FL as having equal buying power:

The Real Value of $100 in Each State | Tax Foundation

On this map of Median Property Taxes Paid by County Nationwide, the northern 2/3 of Florida is lower, and our particular area looks among the lowest.

Median Property Taxes Paid by County, 2005-09 | Tax Foundation
Old 01-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Home prices and taxes are 1/2 here, what there are in the Wash. metro area. You can by a lot of food with the money you saved.
Thank you for the sanity check.

To really be accurate about where is more or less expensive than some where else, you just have to take into account all the expenses of the areas being compared.

When all gets said and done all locations need revenues. They all get it in differing ways. And when all added up, my experience over the years....there just isn't that much difference in the cost of living. Of course there are exceptions!!
Old 01-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Groceries may be more but how does the price of your home compare? Il bet it is a lot less than up north.
Depends on your house. But our house up North does not have a swimming pool. (Have another offer, but not good)
Old 01-12-2015, 12:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieInVa View Post
We agree. We just arrived from just outside Washington D.C. and food prices here are a lot more. Wondering what options we have in addition to Public and Winn Dixie.
We moved here awhile back from Southern Maryland, 60 miles SE of DC. Food prices here same as at our old residence.

Also, Real Estate Taxes less. Why, Every property reassessed every three years, county divided up in three. If higher, assessed values raised by 1/3 of increase every year. Here, the new sales at higher prices pay more always.

Last edited by Bavarian; 01-12-2015 at 12:18 PM. Reason: add Real EstateTaxes
Old 01-12-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
Food prices here are MUCH higher than up north in Minnesota. And I mean everything!
Who wants to be in Minnesota?
Old 01-12-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguyintv View Post
It's -30 degrees there!
Old 01-12-2015, 02:48 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguyintv View Post
newguyintv: I moved down from Minneapolis area in 2006. I can tell you the Minneapolis area is a wonderful and very clean area and very family oriented . Yes the winters are cold but its a dry cold and the people there celebrate winter. They have Winter Carnival that lasts for 30 days. They have four major sports teams Their skywalk system is a city within itself.

I didn't move here because of the weather I moved because of the tax situation. If taxes were more in line with Florida then my response to your question " Who wants to be in Minnesota" would be me .

Personal Best Regards
Old 01-12-2015, 03:14 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
newguyintv: I moved down from Minneapolis area in 2006. I can tell you the Minneapolis area is a wonderful and very clean area and very family oriented . Yes the winters are cold but its a dry cold and the people there celebrate winter. They have Winter Carnival that lasts for 30 days. They have four major sports teams Their skywalk system is a city within itself.

I didn't move here because of the weather I moved because of the tax situation. If taxes were more in line with Florida then my response to your question " Who wants to be in Minnesota" would be me .

Personal Best Regards
I also grew up in Minneapolis and lived not too far from Lake Nokomis. Great place but freakin' cold in the winter. I enjoyed the cold and snow. I then spent about 40 years in the 'burbs of Washington DC. The wet cold was not colder in temperature but felt colder. I like Florida a whole lot more than DC or Minneapolis and would NEVER move back to either place.

Taxes are a heck of a lot cheaper here. Food prices are a little higher but it is sure saved in taxes.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:25 PM

As a permanent resident of The Villages, I find that grocery prices are higher during snowbird/renters season than during the rest of the year. Also, Publix can't seem to keep things in stock during "snowbird" season. I shop many places to get the best prices as was said in many of the previous posts. I cook a lot and don't eat out very much. All that being said, I am also from Minnesota and would NEVER go back to live there and love, love love it here, so I will pay more and I will put up with "snowbird" season's shortages. Love you all Villagers, even the snowbirds and the renters. xoxoxo

I'm the type of woman that when I get up in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up"!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.