Price of Groceries in Florida

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2015, 04:54 PM

Prices in the grocery stores are higher during season. We get fantastic buys and lower prices during the summer months.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:13 PM
Veteran member

I saw that chart that compared PA with FL and it looked pretty much even, however that took the whole state into account. I was from some strange inexpensive pocket of PA that was very cheap to live. I shopped in Amish/Mennonite markets that had fruit and vegetables at insanely low prices and I was very grateful that I could get fresh food at such a low price. I knew food would be more expensive here but I wasn't prepared for exactly how much more it would be and yes, it was a HUGE shock to see how much more I had to pay for it. That doesn't mean that I'd rather go back up north and deal with all that encompasses. I am full time and love it here, however I don't have to love the higher prices and I don't have to have a 'love it or leave it' feeling that is 100% in ever aspect of TV. I can miss the lower prices, especially since my household income is drastically reduced in retirement. I am still grateful for how wonderful life is here in all the sunshine and fun. Doesn't mean I don't find ways to compensate and find less expensive food choices. Doesn't mean I don't miss the 25cent packages of organic spinach I used to buy or the $2.99 lb fresh made cheese I used to find back home.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
newguyintv: I moved down from Minneapolis area in 2006. I can tell you the Minneapolis area is a wonderful and very clean area and very family oriented . Yes the winters are cold but its a dry cold and the people there celebrate winter. They have Winter Carnival that lasts for 30 days. They have four major sports teams Their skywalk system is a city within itself.

I didn't move here because of the weather I moved because of the tax situation. If taxes were more in line with Florida then my response to your question " Who wants to be in Minnesota" would be me .

Personal Best Regards
We almost moved to Minneapolis once, but the job fell through. I have never met anyone from there who didn't love it. I have also found, from living in MI, that the natives are more used to the cold than we transferees.

Back to my original reason to go off topic: It's just not nice to dis anyone else's home, family, or sports teams, not necessarily in that order.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:48 PM

We see virtually NO difference in price shopping for Groceries here vs. Columbus, GA (our previous home). We shopped in Publix there and here. Prices are basically the same here as there. We are very frugal shoppers and typically shop the Buy one Get one FREE deals. So 6 hrs North of here Grocery prices are about The Same.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
Food prices here are MUCH higher than up north in Minnesota. And I mean everything!
WELL of course it is ! Do You think they have Coburns, Cashwise Cub foods here?

But never ( I mean NEVER) ask a NY ER WHAT IS A WEGMANS!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser1 View Post
....But never ( I mean NEVER) ask a NY ER WHAT IS A WEGMANS!
That is correct Sir, because we will cut you off at the knees......LOL...
Old 01-12-2015, 11:13 PM

I agree; very rude. I can't stand it when you complain about something and you are told to go back to where you came or just leave TV.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:13 PM
Sage

Soup kitchen has some good deals.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. As for the rude comment about going back where we came from, not a great example of Florida's friendliest home town.

I love it here. Arrived a week ago and bought a home yesterday and will live here full time. My comment agreeing with OP about the the prices being higher here was an accurate observation and I asked for suggestions and alternatives to Publix and Winn Dixie. And of course some things might cost more in other areas, but that wasn't the observation that the OP was making.

We will try Wal-Mart and Aldi. Another difference is that in the DC Metro area, grocery stores all double a coupons value, which I found is not the case here. So I just need to be creative in figuring out the grocery budget.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:40 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Amazing how the original poster made an observation about food prices at food markets where they come from versus TV and it almost erupts into a war. Taxes, home prices, insults etc. They offered an opinion about market food prices, not taxes, not home prices, or any thing else.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:48 PM

Yes I also feel the same way. the price here is more expensive than in other places.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-13-2015, 12:54 AM
Sage

The food prices here seem higher than the NYC suburbs. Stores like Pathmark and Walbaums are cheaper and have better sales. I would like to hear a rational reason. Rents, labor and electricity are cheaper in Florida.....

Of course other things are cheaper and better here, but that is off topic.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:45 AM
Veteran member
Default Thread rating?

Wow! I started something here! As to Minnesota there is 4 decent months and where we live in the lake country it is beautiful THEN and a perfect time to drive in my 2003 Thunderbird 'Black Beauty' with the top down. My only sibling a retired doc living in Melbourne, Fl told me to move here as there is no income tax. I told him so what? I don't have any income anyway! Yesterday we drove to Key West for the day and I gave my neighbor here in Key Largo $5 to pick up some heritage tomatoes at 'Robert is here' in Homestead. I got 2 of them! But as they say, 'Happy wife, happy life'..Jane loves TV and can do enough yoga to never get off her mat. So it looks like 6 months next year renting at Quail Ridge. Thanks to all who posted!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

It takes a while to learn your way around TV and the surrounding area. When we first moved here I was really surprised at how few choices in markets was available, but over time things have changed dramatically.

I shop at Publix, Fresh Market, Aldi's, WalMart, Sam's and sometimes WinDixie, and let's not forget we have the Market of Marion and a Farmer's Market right here in Spanish Springs and one at Brownwood.

I like Publix because it is clean and they have just about everything I need, however I do not shop there exclusively.

Fresh Market has excellent sales. If you log into their website you will see where you can get information daily on their sales. Their Tuesday ground chuck and chicken breast for $2.99 lb cannot be beat, and the quality is the best - they also do a whole cooked chicken with a whole apple pie for $9.99 on Tuesday. They have specials every day. But one of the best is their two cooked chickens for $12.00 every weekend.

I shop Aldi's on 441 for basics and vegetables, their prices are very reasonable. Worth a visit to check them out.

Our WalMart is probably the best I have ever shopped. Their produce is very good and their prices are excellent.

WinDixie once in a while for their good sales.

Sam's for great prices and because we don't have a Costco's.

I am centrally located and can get to all these stores without having to travel too far, and I am certainly not out shopping every day, I am trying to make the point that there are various shopping venues available to us in this immediate area.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-13-2015, 07:19 AM
Sage

Florida ranks fifth in the price of food in the US, coming after Hawaii, Alaska, Mississippi, and Tennessee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.