Price of Groceries in Florida

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2015, 04:49 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I am in the Blue Ridge mountains in Georgia and paid $2.00 for Florida strawberries today - just curious how much they are at Publix?
This week at Publix, Florida strawberries are $2.99 for a pint. They get cheaper as the season progresses, and by the end of the season, in March, they are usually 3 pints for $5.00.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:59 PM
Sage

Isn't it bizarre they are cheaper here than in Florida where they are grown. I don't understand it.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
This week at Publix, Florida strawberries are $2.99 for a pint. They get cheaper as the season progresses, and by the end of the season, in March, they are usually 3 pints for $5.00.
I am in Michigan now and 16oz. Pk of strawberries were 1.88 at Kroger. Last week at Vince and Joes they were $1.10 per pack.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
I agree; very rude. I can't stand it when you complain about something and you are told to go back to where you came or just leave TV.
What's more rude, telling someone to go back where they came from if they don't like it here, or someone dissing our home state where many of us were born or grew up in and are very proud of? We're tired of hearing how everything "up north" like restaurants, bagels, pizzas, chinese food etc is so much better. I'm sure if I went "up north" and complained about everything and talked about how everything down south was much better you'd tell me to go back where I came from. I could complain about the cornbread, fried catfish and grits but I have more class than that when in another part of our country. Think about it. You moved here by your own choice, 1000 miles or more south and you expect it to be just as it was "up north"????? Don't belittle our state just because it is not the same as "up north" and that is how we like it.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Grocery bills are highly subjective and they depend on how much you eat, and whether planning, cooking, eating and cleaning up after 3 meals are the main priority of the day.

Also, there are other mitigating factors that are more favorable here.

From this Map of State Income Tax, it looks like Minnesota runs neck and neck with Oregon for the No. 2 ranking in the nation, second only to California.

Top State Income Tax Rates in 2014 | Tax Foundation

This map showing The Real Value of $100 for Each State shows MN and FL as having equal buying power:

The Real Value of $100 in Each State | Tax Foundation

On this map of Median Property Taxes Paid by County Nationwide, the northern 2/3 of Florida is lower, and our particular area looks among the lowest.

Median Property Taxes Paid by County, 2005-09 | Tax Foundation
KY shows 6% but it doesn't matter because retirement, SS, isn't taxed.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:48 AM
Veteran member

If you rent OR live here it is obvious that you need to price shop. I think the pricing here has something to do with tourists.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
What's more rude, telling someone to go back where they came from if they don't like it here, or someone dissing our home state where many of us were born or grew up in and are very proud of? We're tired of hearing how everything "up north" like restaurants, bagels, pizzas, chinese food etc is so much better. I'm sure if I went "up north" and complained about everything and talked about how everything down south was much better you'd tell me to go back where I came from. I could complain about the cornbread, fried catfish and grits but I have more class than that when in another part of our country. Think about it. You moved here by your own choice, 1000 miles or more south and you expect it to be just as it was "up north"????? Don't belittle our state just because it is not the same as "up north" and that is how we like it.
Shimpy - thank you for telling it like it is ................ We have all chosen to live here (for whatever reason) so stop complaining about everything. Personally, I just wish I had been able to come here years ago.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-17-2015, 08:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

I have lived in several states and there is always a segment that has to complain how much better it was where they came from. Not only is it rude, it is silly. When in Rome.......
Old 01-17-2015, 09:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default strawberries

Quote:
The person just questioned why strawberries are cheaper where they live, than in Florida where they are grown. Why are some people so touchy?
Old 01-17-2015, 09:52 AM

Obviously, you need to be a smart shopper, like Madaline Amme has stated, wherever you live. Buying in season produce and watching for weekly specials and stocking up bargains. It takes a bit of time but you are retired.

Anyone that complains about prices in the US should take a trip to Europe and I think they would never complain again.

Strawberries in Ma come from Calif, different price than in Florida. Supply and demand and labor cost is a factor.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.