The prices of Golf Carts are C R A Z Y !

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2021, 07:31 AM
Gold member

Buy used from a private party. Most are in good condition and will give you years of use. For example we were snowbirds and don’t golf so usage is very low. When our E-bikes arrive in September we will likely sell our cart.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown132 View Post
When you look at what you get for the money, to me it is one of the biggest rip offs in the history of mankind. Essentially nothing more than a fiberglass body on a big lawnmower engine.
I too wonder. The fancy big toy ones, people are spending over 15,000 for them. While we are not allowed to run them on our multi purpose lanes an ATV (all terrain vehicle) is far less expensive and better made.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:39 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts
Default Expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeikenberry View Post
Welcome to The Villages. You'll most likely find everything from food to services to goods are more expensive in Florida than they are where you're coming from. There's some balance/trade-off since we pay no state taxes. As for golf carts, there's some service advantage to buying from The Villages cart stores, but a lot of people buy elsewhere...it's about what perks and convenience you want in your retirement life.
I also live in NJ. Florida, in general is less expensive in almost every way. The situation now is tough wherever you are with various shortages of items.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:46 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

The Supply Chain is still choking.
Christmas toys will be expensive.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3860 View Post
Did you check out the Atomic Golf Cart? I heard they have AC and heat
No experience with them. They are battery powered. Air conditioning and heat use a lot of power and so will dramatically cut down whatever range they claim.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:56 AM

My husband and I purchased 2 preowned golf carts last year from private owners. The 2016 2-seater was $6,000 and the 2016 4-seater was just a bit more. They are both in excellent condition with nice upgrades. If you keep scanning the classifieds you can eventually find deals.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:58 AM

Check out Carts and Clubs right on 301 just before you get into Ocala proper. I saved about $600 on a new Yamaha with basically the dame features on the price the Villages gave me. Their maintenance service has been great since too.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,124 Times in 806 Posts

Can I ask a question about golf carts?

I don't own one but ride in many with my neighbors and on golf courses.

Is there any golf cart(s) that ride better the a lumber wagon?

To me, my John Deere tractor I had up north rode better then any cart I been on.

You would think as simple and over priced they all are, they could find a better suspension system.

Last edited by Michael G.; 08-03-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:33 AM
Thumbs up The prices of Golf Carts are C R A Z Y !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penglobal View Post
Now that I have moved into The Villages, I have decided on buying a new / used golf cart and the current prices on golf carts are just crazy. The new carts at The Villages Golf Shops are about 15% more than last year, they are offering no incentives and there is no availability. Some new cart's are taking over two months for delivery. When the snow birds come down in a few months with all their money, I get this feeling the prices are just going to increase even more.
Also the asking prices on the used golf cart's sold by individuals are close to full retail. I just can't believe what's going on with inflation. Any suggestions? Thanks
We moved here recently also, went to Wholesale Golf Cart in Summerfield. Good warranty, nice refurbished Yamaha cart 4 years old and a good price, family owned. Any issues very responsive.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:45 AM

it's not a rip-off. To me they are integral to the TV lifestyle. Convenient. Get great mileage and a lot of fun to have!

We were able to sell a car (and therefore one less car to insure) as part of the plan for getting a golf cart. Seems to be little need for 2 cars and 1 cart for 2 drivers. So to us, we actually ended up AHEAD as the car sold for $28,000, and the cart was bought for $16K. Our insurance overall dropped by about half - cart insurance is very cheap.

so I don't see it as a rip-off at all

Yoda
Old 08-03-2021, 08:47 AM
Default Supply and demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Snow birds are not going to increase prices. Supply and demand will
So...only supply and demand cause price increases....not snowbirds??

What do you think the influx of snowbirds does to DEMAND?!?
Old 08-03-2021, 08:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,840 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Now that I have moved into The Villages, I have decided on buying a new / used golf cart and the current prices on golf carts are just crazy. The new carts at The Villages Golf Shops are about 15% more than last year, they are offering no incentives and there is no availability. Some new cart's are taking over two months for delivery. When the snow birds come down in a few months with all their money, I get this feeling the prices are just going to increase even more.
Also the asking prices on the used golf cart's sold by individuals are close to full retail. I just can't believe what's going on with inflation. Any suggestions? Thanks
Golf carts here are expensive partly because they are much fancier than the usual golf cart you rent at golf courses elsewhere. On most golf courses outside of The Villages, you don’t need turn signals or LED lights or a speedometer or a sound system or fancy seats or a custom paint job or side curtains. There are plenty of stores within an hour or so that can sell you a new or used golf cart of the usual golf course variety at a third or a fourth of the price we pay for the ones we prefer here. I’m happy to have all of those things, but you can certainly get by without them if you just use your cart for golf.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Can I ask a question about golf carts?

I don't own one but ride in many with my neighbors and on golf courses.

Is there any golf cart(s) that ride better the a lumber wagon?

To me, my John Deere tractor I had up north rode better then any cart I been on.

You would think as simple and over priced they all are, they could find a better suspension system.
If you get a 2017 or newer Yamaha Drive2, they have 4-wheel independent suspension. That makes a great difference in ride! Couple that with an El Tigre seat (or other aftermarket seats) and the ride will be much different. Cadillac? No. Lumber wagon? No.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:53 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts
Default Prices

Quote:
OP, prices on just about everything have gone up. I bought my last cart 5 years ago from Discount Golf Carts on 466 Santa Fe Plaza. It is gas Yamaha re-manufactured. Never had any kind of a problem and their service is great. Highly recommend…
Old 08-03-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeikenberry View Post
Welcome to The Villages. You'll most likely find everything from food to services to goods are more expensive in Florida than they are where you're coming from. There's some balance/trade-off since we pay no state taxes. As for golf carts, there's some service advantage to buying from The Villages cart stores, but a lot of people buy elsewhere...it's about what perks and convenience you want in your retirement life.
When calculated it is actually higher than an income tax in Florida as they tax the living daylights out of everything. The local county and state taxes on services range from 17-20%. They charge fees when you purchase insurance and charge a fee to cancel. Utilities are very high also.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, carts, prices, villages, months

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.