Golf Cart Question

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove
Default Golf Cart Question

I've encountered a couple of situations that I found confusing. I'd appreciate a little help.

As a car driver on a street with a cart lane, I was aproaching an intersection where I wanted to make a right turn and a cart was in back approaching at the same time. Not wanting to turn in front of the cart I stopped. The cart also stopped and waited until I made the turn. Not sure if that was because they saw my turn signal or because they saw my out-of-state plates and figured I didn't know what I was doing (or both).

The next time, I was in back of a cart and appraoching the intersection where I wanted to make a right turn about the same time as the cart. Since I didn't even know if the cart was aware that I was behind them I slowed down until they went through the intersection before turning.

This morning I was behind a cart that was not using the cart lane - I assume it was a street legal cart. Since it was only going 25-30 mph traffice was backing up behind me. Was there a reason why the cart did not use the cart lane?

I'll be riding a cart myself in the next several days and I want to make sure I'm doing things correctly - both as a car driver and a cart driver. Is there anything available to explain the rules?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post
As a car driver on a street with a cart lane, I was aproaching an intersection where I wanted to make a right turn and a cart was in back approaching at the same time. Not wanting to turn in front of the cart I stopped. The cart also stopped and waited until I made the turn.
We've all been in that very situation. When you approach an intersection and plan to make a right, (and there is no golf cart already there,) if you pull partially into the cart lane, you prevent a golf cart coming up on your right and either going straight or making a right and thus preventing a collision. It eliminates any confusion for the golf cart because they have no choice but to let you proceed with your right turn.

In a golf cart, I also hang back in the golf cart lane when I see a car making a right because it makes the most sense.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:20 AM
KittyKat
Smile I believe a car always has right-of-way.

When I am driving the golf cart I always yield to cars, especially if I have to merge. Most car drivers are too courteous and stop to let me in but I feel that I should wait my turn. You were appropriate in the first situation. The cart driver was far enough back that he/she saw that you were turning and waited for you to turn. In the 2nd situation (I think you both approached at the same time) you did the right thing because the cart driver probably didn't know you were going to turn. In the 3rd situation the street legal cart driver should have kept up with traffic or pulled over in the cart lane (I have seen street legal carts do that on north Morse Blvd). TV does have a golf cart driving course for newcomers. It used to be a once-a-month thing. Try calling or stopping in at the Sumter County Sheriff's Annex at the SW corner of Morse Blvd & 466. I'm also sure someone with a better memory knows exactly who to call. Sounds like you're a cautious driver and that is always good!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post
I've encountered a couple of situations that I found confusing. I'd appreciate a little help.

As a car driver on a street with a cart lane, I was aproaching an intersection where I wanted to make a right turn and a cart was in back approaching at the same time. Not wanting to turn in front of the cart I stopped. The cart also stopped and waited until I made the turn. Not sure if that was because they saw my turn signal or because they saw my out-of-state plates and figured I didn't know what I was doing (or both).

The next time, I was in back of a cart and appraoching the intersection where I wanted to make a right turn about the same time as the cart. Since I didn't even know if the cart was aware that I was behind them I slowed down until they went through the intersection before turning.

This morning I was behind a cart that was not using the cart lane - I assume it was a street legal cart. Since it was only going 25-30 mph traffice was backing up behind me. Was there a reason why the cart did not use the cart lane?

I'll be riding a cart myself in the next several days and I want to make sure I'm doing things correctly - both as a car driver and a cart driver. Is there anything available to explain the rules?
I believe you acted correctly in both situations. As to the street legal, if there was a cart lane, then the speed limit on that road was no more than 30 mph. The street legal should have used the cart lane as a courtesy to other drivers but cars need to watch their speed when sharing the road with golf carts. By the way, I also hang back and yield to cars when I'm in my cart.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Veteran member

The Villages Homeowner's Association has a golf cart safety meeting at Savannah Center 3rd Wednesday each month at 10:00 am.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I had a woman do that at the corner of Morse and San Marino. she was making a right turn and was half through when she abruptly stopped cause me to pull left and stop. a cart then slammed on the brakes and slide about to hit the turning car. If the auto driver simply continued all would have been fine. she either was trying to be polite or didn't see the cart...but should have as she passed it before turning. this is at least the fourth time this has occurred to me. Try and stay alert for such drivers but...............
Old 06-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Default cars vs golf cars

The arrogance of people in cars that are in the wrong by stopping to
let golf cars go when the golf cars have the STOP SIGN is amazing.

Last week I had come over the bridge into LSL and was at the stop sign.
A car stopped and waved me to go causing 4 cars behind him to brake
hard leaving the last one out in the roundabout. I waved him to go on
he pulled up in front of me put down his window an screamed
" How long have you been here from NY?" I yelled back "Long enough
to know the rules of the road regarding cars and golf cars. He gave me the
finger and took off.

Today at the Caroline Gate the car in front of me stopped short to wave
a golf car through. The man in the golf cars very politely said that cars
have the right of way and for the car driver to go ahead. The car driver
yelled "Thanks for the lesson you A-Hole and took off.

Just a couple of instances of nasty people in "Florida Friendliest Home
Town"
Old 06-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung View Post

When you approach an intersection and plan to make a right, (and there is no golf cart already there,) if you pull partially into the cart lane, you prevent a golf cart coming up on your right and either going straight or making a right and thus preventing a collision. It eliminates any confusion for the golf cart because they have no choice but to let you proceed with your right turn.
Exactly It's just common sense.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:37 AM

I was one of those golf cart drivers that would not proceed if a car driver was waving me on even though the car had the right of way. I have been beaten. I found it more dangerous to wait then to proceed. The car has already stopped therefore already causing confusion, if I didn't proceed then nobody was moving. So now I say "Thank You" and go on my merry way rather then get frustrated. It's nice once you get used to it. I understand the reasoning behind the car drivers thinking and that's what makes The Villages Florida's friendliest home town community.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
I was one of those golf cart drivers that would not proceed if a car driver was waving me on even though the car had the right of way. I have been beaten. I found it more dangerous to wait then to proceed. The car has already stopped therefore already causing confusion, if I didn't proceed then nobody was moving. So now I say "Thank You" and go on my merry way rather then get frustrated. It's nice once you get used to it. I understand the reasoning behind the car drivers thinking and that's what makes The Villages Florida's friendliest home town community.
This is so wrong.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
This is so wrong.
You are so right- Auto drivers trying to be polite cause confusion and I'm sure that there have been rear enders. I'm sure that most of us in carts would prefer to stop at crossroads rather than challenge much bigger and heavier cars. For many of the same reasons I object to auto drivers who wave me on at intersections when they have the right of way.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
You are so right- Auto drivers trying to be polite cause confusion and I'm sure that there have been rear enders. I'm sure that most of us in carts would prefer to stop at crossroads rather than challenge much bigger and heavier cars. For many of the same reasons I object to auto drivers who wave me on at intersections when they have the right of way.
In a perfect world you would both be right, but.......
Old 06-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Platinum member

When in my cart I try to avoid eye contact with automobile drivers at intersections. They are less apt to stop.

By the way, I don't believe they are arrogant. I think they are trying to be polite, nice, thoughtful or whatever. However, in doing so they create a potentially dangerous situation.

One other thought. Those signs at the entrances announcing we are a golf cart community can be interpreted to imply golf carts enjoy special privileges.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default Right turns at San Marino

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I had a woman do that at the corner of Morse and San Marino. she was making a right turn and was half through when she abruptly stopped cause me to pull left and stop. a cart then slammed on the brakes and slide about to hit the turning car. If the auto driver simply continued all would have been fine. she either was trying to be polite or didn't see the cart...but should have as she passed it before turning. this is at least the fourth time this has occurred to me. Try and stay alert for such drivers but...............
There are signs there now that says yeild to carts when turning right. That may be the reason the lady stopped but not soon enough. The signs have been there for a couple months now.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway View Post
The arrogance of people in cars that are in the wrong by stopping to
let golf cars go when the golf cars have the STOP SIGN is amazing.

Last week I had come over the bridge into LSL and was at the stop sign.
A car stopped and waved me to go causing 4 cars behind him to brake
hard leaving the last one out in the roundabout. I waved him to go on
he pulled up in front of me put down his window an screamed
" How long have you been here from NY?" I yelled back "Long enough
to know the rules of the road regarding cars and golf cars. He gave me the
finger and took off.

Today at the Caroline Gate the car in front of me stopped short to wave
a golf car through. The man in the golf cars very politely said that cars
have the right of way and for the car driver to go ahead. The car driver
yelled "Thanks for the lesson you A-Hole and took off.

Just a couple of instances of nasty people in "Florida Friendliest Home
Town"
Oh my lord, what is it with some people? We need to put scarlet A's on their foreheads for being, well, you know. How rude can you get. I hope these folks are in the big minority...

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.