The Privileged.

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2018, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am so sorry about your dog being bitten. Naturally you would be angry to see another person not leashing their dog.

It doesn't do a danged bit of good to call out to others about dangers and our beliefs, they just think we are gooney old people.

I admit I did just the same a couple of weeks ago when I was watering my roses and saw an unknown person in our neighborhood sitting next to a very small person of about six years of age allowing them to drive a golf cart.

I called out to them.

Something. I don't know what I said, but I shouldn't have. It was useless and not my business.

I understand. Vintageogauge. Sometimes it is so hard to keep our mouths shut.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
This morning while cleaning my garage a nice young lady who appeared to be in her mid 30's walked by with her dog and no leash. I asked "where is your leash" her response was to flip me off. I guess she is one of the privileged people here in TV that don't have to be concerned about deed restrictions. My dog would like to walk without a leash also but never has since moving here.
Next time, test the dog's training. Walk out in the street bouncing a rubber ball so that the dog can see it. Then throw it as far as you can down the street. See what happens.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post
Charming !
You're being too kind.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:47 PM
Veteran member

I wonder how much interest there would be in a new village with a no-dogs policy?

(Just dogs because I've never seen anyone here complain about off-leash parrots, goldfish, or house cats.)
Old 05-20-2018, 01:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am so sorry about your dog being bitten. Naturally you would be angry to see another person not leashing their dog.

It doesn't do a danged bit of good to call out to others about dangers and our beliefs, they just think we are gooney old people.

I admit I did just the same a couple of weeks ago when I was watering my roses and saw an unknown person in our neighborhood sitting next to a very small person of about six years of age allowing them to drive a golf cart.

I called out to them.

Something. I don't know what I said, but I shouldn't have. It was useless and not my business.

I understand. Vintageogauge. Sometimes it is so hard to keep our mouths shut.
Very well said
Old 05-20-2018, 01:58 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation A Policeman's View

For most of my adult life I have been in positions of authority in which I could give correction to people misbehaving, usually by arresting them.

That having been said, having left those positions I studiously avoid confrontations, including both minor incidents and poor driving by others. The reason is that in my law enforcement career there were times when I saw such arguments escalate to the point that people were seriously injured.

A friend has joked that he wouldn't yell or gesture at someone who offended him in traffic in Tampa because he estimates that 80% of Tampa drivers have a pistol in their glove box.

Around the country people do get shot in incidents that began as simply yelling at each other.

Do I avoid confrontations out of fear? No, in my case my great concern is that I might have some irrational person attack me and that I might have to use deadly force in my defense. I don't need that kind of trauma during my "Golden Years."

But, I would counsel others, who have neither the background nor the experience to defend themselves in a real physical fight, or even skilled combatants, to abstain from giving verbal admonishment to people over minor issues. To do so always has the potential for disastrous consequences, and the person who initiates the conversation might be found to be the guilty party charged with the consequences in a court of law.

It's not always sufficient to be "morally right."
Old 05-20-2018, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
For most of my adult life I have been in positions of authority in which I could give correction to people misbehaving, usually by arresting them.

That having been said, having left those positions I studiously avoid confrontations, including both minor incidents and poor driving by others. The reason is that in my law enforcement career there were times when I saw such arguments escalate to the point that people were seriously injured.

A friend has joked that he wouldn't yell or gesture at someone who offended him in traffic in Tampa because he estimates that 80% of Tampa drivers have a pistol in their glove box.

Around the country people do get shot in incidents that began as simply yelling at each other.

Do I avoid confrontations out of fear? No, in my case my great concern is that I might have some irrational person attack me and that I might have to use deadly force in my defense. I don't need that kind of trauma during my "Golden Years."

But, I would counsel others, who have neither the background nor the experience to defend themselves in a real physical fight, or even skilled combatants, to abstain from giving verbal admonishment to people over minor issues. To do so always has the potential for disastrous consequences, and the person who initiates the conversation might be found to be the guilty party charged with the consequences in a court of law.

It's not always sufficient to be "morally right."
Do not sweat the small stuff.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I am one of those people, maybe the only one, that believes in following the rules, rules and regulations that we all agreed to when we signed our deeds. I don't feel privileged or special enough to not follow the rules. If all of us chose to not follow the rules we would be overrun with dogs going where they want and doing what they want. Our dog while on his leash was attacked by a larger dog not on a leash, he suffered with his injuries for 6 weeks, the owner paid the vet bills but she did not have to watch him suffer and try to get him up to walk so he could do his business. That is why I care. By asking for the third time "where is your leash" does not deserve getting a finger thrown at you but at least I now know her true personality. There are dog parks where you can allow your dog to run free that is why they built them. I was hoping that she would soon start to obey the rules but I guess she chooses not to so now I'll go the other route and hopefully that will work.
We are with you all the way.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

Some humor.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:47 PM
Veteran member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Next time, test the dog's training. Walk out in the street bouncing a rubber ball so that the dog can see it. Then throw it as far as you can down the street. See what happens.
Or get out your hose . . . for the owner, not the dog!
Old 05-20-2018, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
I am one of those people, maybe the only one, that believes in following the rules, rules and regulations that we all agreed to when we signed our deeds. I don't feel privileged or special enough to not follow the rules. If all of us chose to not follow the rules we would be overrun with dogs going where they want and doing what they want. Our dog while on his leash was attacked by a larger dog not on a leash, he suffered with his injuries for 6 weeks, the owner paid the vet bills but she did not have to watch him suffer and try to get him up to walk so he could do his business. That is why I care. By asking for the third time "where is your leash" does not deserve getting a finger thrown at you but at least I now know her true personality. There are dog parks where you can allow your dog to run free that is why they built them. I was hoping that she would soon start to obey the rules but I guess she chooses not to so now I'll go the other route and hopefully that will work.
Nope! You’re not the only one that follows rules and regulations. Both my pups are on leashes; I also carry an expandable steel baton and I will use it if threatened by another animal. BTW, I also carry dog poop bags to pick up after the pups.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
Some humor.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:35 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 361 Posts

Quote:
I wonder how much interest there would be in a new village with a no-dogs policy?

(Just dogs because I've never seen anyone here complain about off-leash parrots, goldfish, or house cats.)
Absolutely no interest from me

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 05-20-2018, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:

There is now an area that home can not be rented, so an additional option may be available
Old 05-20-2018, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I guess, depending on one's viewpoint, living back up north when it's really cold...has certain advantages/disadvantages.

That being, it's really hard to tell one is giving/getting the finger...with mittens on.
Closed Thread

Tags
leash, dog, privileged, concerned, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.