Problems in Brownswood? - say it isn't so

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
If there is one thing I have learned in life it is to listen to my gut (intuition)!

Check out what this guy had to say. Apparently Oprah liked the book. The Gift of Fear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you, I learned alot from reading about this book and will pass it on to my friends
and I plan on reading the book also.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default clarification.

...just to be fair....the post I entered about the kids in our golf cart.....they were in a parking lot at LSL not Brownwood.....and it was somewhat late but before 11:00pm and a bit deserted and a bit intimidating to find several....not sure maybe 8 or so sitting and talking....in many of the golf carts around ours....including ours....felt a bit threatened....it is one thing to talk to your friends and hang out in the parking lot.... it is another to ignore a boundary and sit in someone elses golf carts....just my impression.

I don't think all kids are bad but I did feel a bit unsafe...just my feeling at that moment though. Normally can't find a thing wrong with TV!!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Personally, I think curfews are in order in communities that want them.

I could see having a curfew of 9:30pm at the squares (or the last movie time). Once the bands are done playing, there's no reason for teens to be there (except exiting the movies).
Who would impose the curfew?
Old 10-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I am sure that anti-Janet Tutt comment was made by some POA groupie that is never satisfied with anything ( especially anything pro-Developer).

Sounds as they would rather move away but yet they stay. What is the word for that?
Actually the POA in most cases has supported Janet Tutt.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperhead View Post
Who would impose the curfew?
I would think that would be the municipality or community development district that contracts for police or sheriff services. I think it's Wildwood Police who cover Brownwood. Maybe the VCCD that contracts them could make a curfew?
Old 10-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
One solution if the above are your goals is to either not move to TV or don't leave your house. And a real gated environment is not practical/or affordable and does nothing for controlling who is in the squares.

When one completely loses tolerance and patience for youth they have reached an age much older than the number on their birth certificate.........plus losing out on so much the world of youth has to offer.

The isolated incidences of "packs" of teens in TV is just that.....an isolated incident

btk
Had to go back and get this post just in case some may have missed it in their readings.
This thread has gone from an incident to now imposing curfew's.......whats next document check at the borders. Its time for happy hour...............or time out.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachie View Post
Probably scarier than any teenagers in the Squares are all the old men living in The Villages at the Squares packing heat and drinking .
.....especially the ones packin their precious heat.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 10-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
we do have an element of snobbery (for lack of anything better to lable it) here in TV that seems to have certain measurements of certain areas to look down on, like Wildwood and Fruitland Park.

The knowledge of these areas is second through 25th hand....no real experience.

Some of us as kids lived in areas that would aspire to that of the good people of Wildwood and Fruitland......probably more than most would admit.

Just remember for the imagined "bad" you all have of these areas just try to remember that most....95% or more are good wholesome folks with kids, grand kids and retirees that look and act no differently than where most of us came from.

How do you measure these folks when you are in church? Is it OK there too to have an uppety attitude of folks who either may not have what some of us are fortunate enough to have or may have chosen to not be where such attitudes of one's fellow man reside????????

Lighten up....they are your neighbors and would help you in a heart beat....set rumors, old maids stories, BS and prejudice aside....when you are in the shower you look just like they do.....

btk
You are so right. We were all kids at some point and as long as they are just having a great time and not being destructive, relax and enjoy them and their enthusiasm. They will have plenty of real issues to deal with all too soon.

I agree that the element of which you speak (snobbery) exists a little too much here at times. I and some of our neighbors have experienced it first-hand and we live here! There are some that seem to think that certain amenities belong solely to them when they are around and that they can set rules. Our neighborhood pool and some of the other facilities have had this problem. We just all need to strive to be a little kinder and willing to share. Everyone here pays for the amenities and as such, are for all to enjoy. The public areas are just what they are....public and open to anyone, young or old.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 10-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Personally, I think curfews are in order in communities that want them.

I could see having a curfew of 9:30pm at the squares (or the last movie time). Once the bands are done playing, there's no reason for teens to be there (except exiting the movies).
you mean for the old people..no worries lights out by 9pm
Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Sage

Of course, we need to be vigilant here as anywhere when we are out after dark, the crowds are gone, and we walk back to our car in an isolated parking lot. That goes for all three squares and anywhere else on the planet.

Be prudent. Don't walk alone. Call security if you are frightened. Exercise caution. Beyond that though, I see a lot of overreaction and jumping to conclusion here over kids hanging out (as my friends and I did as teenagers) and over rumor, innuendo and alleged incidents heard through the grapevine.

Jumping to conclusion and rushing to judgment are not the same as being prudent and exercising caution. Please believe me when I say that I am not taking sides here on what ultimately happened in Sanford, FL. But the last thing we need in The Villages is a dead teenager with skittles in his pocket.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Gold member

opc orn: Excuse me!! Would someone pass the popcorn please!!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
Excuse me!! Would someone pass the popcorn please!!!!
Here ya go kiddo. Extra salt.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Veteran member

the only concern that i have at this point is that the lighting along the golf cart paths and thru the tunnels is almost non-existent. the trail that goes from the parking lot behind the sales office between the two ponds and then to the two tunnels is so dark....no lights at all. and although buena vista has street lights on the median strips,the golf cart paths have no supplementary lighting. automobiles have good headlights that illuminate just fine, but golf carts have minimal lights.....
just my take on the safety issue.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Default It's not just Brownwood.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post
I just read today a disturbing report about Brownwood ...kids/teenagers running around in Brownwood in the evening ... acting less than appropriate and Villagers feeling less than safe in that area at night. Please say it isn't so.
Riding home in my golf cart on Friday night, I circled Sumter Square,

then took the golf cart path leading to the tunnel that would take me toward

the entrance to Canal Street. That stretch parallels Morse Blvd. A sporty

little white car came out of Sumter Landing at a high rate of speed,

4 young white boys (and I only state this so there will be no

speculation) were yelling at me through open windows and blaring

some extremely loud rap music. It was frightening as there were no

other cars or golf carts to be seen and I was not near any homes if

I needed help. I did not look at them or respond to them and they

finally sped away. I will not feel comfortable again in my golf cart,

alone, after 9 p.m.. We ARE an open community - people can come and

go at will. However, this has left me with a sense of Insecurity that

I've not felt before. It's unfortunate, but what is the solution?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Sage

Wow, 8,000 hits and over 100 posts because kids were spotted in Brownwood!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.