Problems with overbuilding The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2020, 03:58 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts
Default Problems with overbuilding The Villages

I just read the Sun's editorial comment (saw it on Facebook) regarding the rapid expansion of TV. It is definitely worth reading and they don't pull punches.

I'm sure opinions will vary and I realize that the train is way too far down the tracks to stop or even slow. Never the less, I agree with every word of it.

Please don't bother to insult me just because you disagree with me. It will just roll off my back.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 02-20-2020, 06:15 PM
Veteran member

Do you have a link?
Old 02-20-2020, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill32 View Post
Do you have a link?
I guess that's a way to keep us from disagreeing with him.

Couldn't read the paper today; sprinkler system soaked the paper this morning so I have no idea what was written...
Old 02-20-2020, 06:30 PM
Sage

Didn't see the article. IF there is sour grapes re: the growth, what would griping about it do except raise one's bp? IF not our developer, someone else would purchase the land and put in "who knows what"?! When we lived up north we lived in a small community near a larger city. Eventually growth began to make our town grow and there were many malcontents there---mostly people who'd moved in but didn't want it to change from when they came to town. There was a name for those folks, which was NIMBY (not in my back yard). Growth and change is bound to happen unless a place is depressed. I'm sure many people have seen those towns too, if they've traveled this country a bit. I for one love it here!!
Old 02-20-2020, 06:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
I just read the Sun's editorial comment (saw it on Facebook) regarding the rapid expansion of TV. It is definitely worth reading and they don't pull punches.

I'm sure opinions will vary and I realize that the train is way too far down the tracks to stop or even slow. Never the less, I agree with every word of it.

Please don't bother to insult me just because you disagree with me. It will just roll off my back.
Are you sure it's from The Villages Daily Sun??? I don't think so.

The online news site has an editorial on this subject which was published Feb. 15. It also appears on their Facebook page.

I think you confused the source of the opinion piece.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:55 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Are you sure it's from The Villages Daily Sun??? I don't think so.

The online news site has an editorial on this subject which was published Feb. 15. It also appears on their Facebook page.

I think you confused the source of the opinion piece.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill32 View Post
Do you have a link?
Also it is against the rules here to post any link from that other source.

Steve
Old 02-20-2020, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

It from the other place, under..........Headaches heading our way as The Villages doubles in size over the next 20 years.
Usual clickbait to fire up the locals!
Old 02-20-2020, 10:11 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Doesn’t matter what the editorial said or who said it. The growth is going to happen. The snowball is rolling
Old 02-21-2020, 06:11 AM
Default One of the Issues I worry about...

Actually this brings up an excellent point! With all of the "over-building" has the developer (i.e. The Villages) made any kind of conservation plan regarding the animals they are displacing. I watching a program on Nature the other night that focused on the wildlife of central FL and it emphasized that 400 people move to FL everyday and there was fevered building to keep up with it. This building frenzy was displacing the native wildlife and contributing to the rapid extinction of many species.

I couldn't help but wonder if the developer had any thoughts or plan about what to do about the displacement (and I surmise there is no plan and no thought given to destroying so many habitats in the name of the almighty dollar). I have heard that once this building spurt is done with the new acreage that the developer is finished (and there would be plenty of houses bought and sold for many years), but I doubt it greatly. The lure of money is too great...
Old 02-21-2020, 07:03 AM

A truer statement has never been said. With TV we know the quality of life and type of development. As it has been said in the past ... Be careful what you wish for, you may get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Didn't see the article. IF there is sour grapes re: the growth, what would griping about it do except raise one's bp? IF not our developer, someone else would purchase the land and put in "who knows what"?! When we lived up north we lived in a small community near a larger city. Eventually growth began to make our town grow and there were many malcontents there---mostly people who'd moved in but didn't want it to change from when they came to town. There was a name for those folks, which was NIMBY (not in my back yard). Growth and change is bound to happen unless a place is depressed. I'm sure many people have seen those towns too, if they've traveled this country a bit. I for one love it here!!
Old 02-21-2020, 07:35 AM

The growth of TV is unprecedented and frankly unforeseen given the fact that when we bought in 2011, we were told by the sales office that the “final build-out” will be 2015. No other retirement community IN THE WORLD has grown in this manner so we had no reason to believe that the beautiful retirement village we were sold would turn out to be a money hungry metropolis. Harold Swartz’s vision was described as a utopia built to serve the residents. His dream was completely derailed by his descendants. So the complaints you read are totally justified.

Last edited by ribil; 02-21-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:43 AM

LOL I did not read the article. Did you ever consider that when you expect to be insulted that your opinion might be a little off base to begin with? There are plenty of exit routes from The Villages as well as the State of Florida!
Old 02-21-2020, 07:53 AM

You can move to a smaller retirement village. With 900 people moving to Florida a day it is highly unlikely that you will find a place that is not experiencing growth
Old 02-21-2020, 08:06 AM
Default Problems with overbuilding the villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarti1973 View Post
LOL I did not read the article. Did you ever consider that when you expect to be insulted that your opinion might be a little off base to begin with? There are plenty of exit routes from The Villages as well as the State of Florida!

Best statement yet👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻🙏🙏
Old 02-21-2020, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribil View Post
The growth of TV is unprecedented and frankly unforeseen given the fact that when we bought in 2011, we were told by the sales office that the “final build-out” will be 2015. No other retirement community IN THE WORLD has grown in this manner so we had no reason to believe that the beautiful retirement village we were sold would turn out to be a money hungry metropolis. Harold Swartz’s vision was described as a utopia built to serve the residents. His dream was completely derailed by his descendants. So the complaints you read are totally justified.
WOW!

We have many friends that have a common denominator. They say "...they hate what the developer has done to TV..."

Any place worth visiting or attending or shopping or eating, etc. is going to be busy. What percent of the daily life routine is affected because TV is getting bigger? For most of us, most days....not much!!

As I have stated many times before...when we built our home 16 years ago the population was less than 35,000 and 466 (not 466 A) was just completed to 4 lanes. Buena Vista only open to the Arnold Palmer circle....no Arnold Palmer CC yet....no Lake Sumter Landing...No Home Depot...no Target shopping center...no Kohls shopping center....most of the larger restaurant did not exist...just to name a few.

Now the size of TV is about 4 times as big....with much more to offer. The expansion that is taking place South of 466 A and SR 44 have no affect on how we live our lives on a daily basis.

Everything is relative to one's expectations. For example;
Phoenix, AZ 50 years ago was smaller than TV is today!!!
Phoenix as measured in 2018? 1,660,272.....and still growing.

I accept what has come with the growth here in TV...as it has made TV life style even better. Are there some negatives? Of course. More than half of which go away with a little planning and patience.

If we were coming in for the first time today....we would still choose TV....for the same reasons we did in 2003. It was the best option of all we looked at (including several not in FL).

There is no right or wrong....to each his own.

Growth in central FL was and continues to be inevitable.
I think we are fortunate that our surroundings and growth nearby are done and controlled by the "developer".
Closed Thread

Tags
tracks, stop, slow, problems, agree

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.