Old 02-21-2020, 08:30 AM

such nonsense
Old 02-21-2020, 08:46 AM

Billethkid:

Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
WOW!

We have many friends that have a common denominator. They say "...they hate what the developer has done to TV..."

Any place worth visiting or attending or shopping or eating, etc. is going to be busy. What percent of the daily life routine is affected because TV is getting bigger? For most of us, most days....not much!!

As I have stated many times before...when we built our home 16 years ago the population was less than 35,000 and 466 (not 466 A) was just completed to 4 lanes. Buena Vista only open to the Arnold Palmer circle....no Arnold Palmer CC yet....no Lake Sumter Landing...No Home Depot...no Target shopping center...no Kohls shopping center....most of the larger restaurant did not exist...just to name a few.

Now the size of TV is about 4 times as big....with much more to offer. The expansion that is taking place South of 466 A and SR 44 have no affect on how we live our lives on a daily basis.

Everything is relative to one's expectations. For example;
Phoenix, AZ 50 years ago was smaller than TV is today!!!
Phoenix as measured in 2018? 1,660,272.....and still growing.

I accept what has come with the growth here in TV...as it has made TV life style even better. Are there some negatives? Of course. More than half of which go away with a little planning and patience.

If we were coming in for the first time today....we would still choose TV....for the same reasons we did in 2003. It was the best option of all we looked at (including several not in FL).

There is no right or wrong....to each his own.

Growth in central FL was and continues to be inevitable.
I think we are fortunate that our surroundings and growth nearby are done and controlled by the "developer".
Old 02-21-2020, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

i'm not so sure the article provided was truly a misunderstanding. there is a sub group of malcontents that try to bring their ire to every social media platform available. i'm SURE they would love to infiltrate this site, which so far, seems to be a positive, polite discussion area for local residents. it's why i choose to be here, among the civilized, where not everything becomes a political argument, or whose side of the villages is better, lol.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:08 AM

Nothing good happens on Facebook, kill your Facebook and be happy!
Old 02-21-2020, 09:13 AM
John41

the problem started when commissioners at large were elected instead of by district. the elected officials do the developers bidding and rezone agricultural land for housing. their vision is sumter county emulating orlando with higher taxes, crime, traffic etc. no more friendly home town.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
the problem started when commissioners at large were elected instead of by district. the elected officials do the developers bidding and rezone agricultural land for housing. their vision is sumter county emulating orlando with higher taxes, crime, traffic etc. no more friendly home town.
You think THAT'S the developers vision??????? I doubt many would agree with that view
Old 02-21-2020, 09:24 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
wow!

We have many friends that have a common denominator. They say "...they hate what the developer has done to tv..."

any place worth visiting or attending or shopping or eating, etc. Is going to be busy. What percent of the daily life routine is affected because tv is getting bigger? For most of us, most days....not much!!

As i have stated many times before...when we built our home 16 years ago the population was less than 35,000 and 466 (not 466 a) was just completed to 4 lanes. Buena vista only open to the arnold palmer circle....no arnold palmer cc yet....no lake sumter landing...no home depot...no target shopping center...no kohls shopping center....most of the larger restaurant did not exist...just to name a few.

Now the size of tv is about 4 times as big....with much more to offer. The expansion that is taking place south of 466 a and sr 44 have no affect on how we live our lives on a daily basis.

Everything is relative to one's expectations. For example;
phoenix, az 50 years ago was smaller than tv is today!!!
Phoenix as measured in 2018? 1,660,272.....and still growing.

I accept what has come with the growth here in tv...as it has made tv life style even better. Are there some negatives? Of course. More than half of which go away with a little planning and patience.

If we were coming in for the first time today....we would still choose tv....for the same reasons we did in 2003. It was the best option of all we looked at (including several not in fl).

There is no right or wrong....to each his own.

Growth in central fl was and continues to be inevitable.
I think we are fortunate that our surroundings and growth nearby are done and controlled by the "developer".
amen !!!!!
Old 02-21-2020, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
That is ONE perspective!
Old 02-21-2020, 09:37 AM

We bought in TV in ‘96. Population 15k, and told it would build out to 50k. 23 years later we still have no regrets.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribil View Post
The growth of TV is unprecedented and frankly unforeseen given the fact that when we bought in 2011, we were told by the sales office that the “final build-out” will be 2015. No other retirement community IN THE WORLD has grown in this manner so we had no reason to believe that the beautiful retirement village we were sold would turn out to be a money hungry metropolis. Harold Swartz’s vision was described as a utopia built to serve the residents. His dream was completely derailed by his descendants. So the complaints you read are totally justified.
Described by who? His advertising firm? Harold's vision was to make money selling to relocating retirees. His son took over the business and turned it into a success. Developers, including Harold, are businessmen. They are not philanthropists.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:00 AM

I love The Villages, but when Sumter decided to raise the millage rate 25% to pay for the roads the builder wants leading to his future buildings, that is unfair. I also read in the Daily Sun that after The Villages completes the roads leading to his new developing ares, the township is going to reimburse him for his expenses. How fair is that? Am I wrong?
Old 02-21-2020, 11:01 AM

Thank you Bill. I like your post. 😊😊
Old 02-21-2020, 11:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
I just read the Sun's editorial comment (saw it on Facebook) regarding the rapid expansion of TV. It is definitely worth reading and they don't pull punches.

I'm sure opinions will vary and I realize that the train is way too far down the tracks to stop or even slow. Never the less, I agree with every word of it.

Please don't bother to insult me just because you disagree with me. It will just roll off my back.
Npwalters, your comment said it just right, thank you!
Old 02-21-2020, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broycenjuice View Post
I love The Villages, but when Sumter decided to raise the millage rate 25% to pay for the roads the builder wants leading to his future buildings, that is unfair. I also read in the Daily Sun that after The Villages completes the roads leading to his new developing ares, the township is going to reimburse him for his expenses. How fair is that? Am I wrong?
Yes.

If the county reimburses the developer for the roads, it is because the county then owns the roads and anyone is free to use them. Otherwise the developer could just build private roads for the exclusive use of residents and this would be a truly gated community. How does the county get the money to pay for the roads?---That's right, taxes.

BTW, the new millage rate is still about 15% lower than it was in 2010.

There is a whole other thread of 17 pages that centers on whether or not county taxpayers as a whole should pay for these roads, some citing that they pay for something that doesn't benefit them. The counter argument was that there is tremendous economic and convenience benefit to non-Villagers.
There is validity to both points of view, but even IF it isn't fair, life is generally unfair anyway
Old 02-21-2020, 11:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Are you sure it's from The Villages Daily Sun??? I don't think so.

The online news site has an editorial on this subject which was published Feb. 15. It also appears on their Facebook page.

I think you confused the source of the opinion piece.
. If you don’t think they read it in TV I’m sure it doesn’t bother them. I’m not trying to be a wise guy but if you like TV’s that’s great, I loved it there but we did move to be nearer to our daughter, grandkids & great grandkids. But TV’s is going to be growing a lot bigger. Rumors are (& I did say rumors) TV did buy more land south of Fenney for 60,000 more homes. But thanks for your comment!
Closed Thread

Tags
tracks, stop, slow, problems, agree

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.