Problems with overbuilding The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2020, 11:39 AM
Default 1st year Villagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
WOW!

We have many friends that have a common denominator. They say "...they hate what the developer has done to TV..."

Any place worth visiting or attending or shopping or eating, etc. is going to be busy. What percent of the daily life routine is affected because TV is getting bigger? For most of us, most days....not much!!

As I have stated many times before...when we built our home 16 years ago the population was less than 35,000 and 466 (not 466 A) was just completed to 4 lanes. Buena Vista only open to the Arnold Palmer circle....no Arnold Palmer CC yet....no Lake Sumter Landing...No Home Depot...no Target shopping center...no Kohls shopping center....most of the larger restaurant did not exist...just to name a few.

Now the size of TV is about 4 times as big....with much more to offer. The expansion that is taking place South of 466 A and SR 44 have no affect on how we live our lives on a daily basis.

Everything is relative to one's expectations. For example;
Phoenix, AZ 50 years ago was smaller than TV is today!!!
Phoenix as measured in 2018? 1,660,272.....and still growing.

I accept what has come with the growth here in TV...as it has made TV life style even better. Are there some negatives? Of course. More than half of which go away with a little planning and patience.

If we were coming in for the first time today....we would still choose TV....for the same reasons we did in 2003. It was the best option of all we looked at (including several not in FL).

There is no right or wrong....to each his own.

Growth in central FL was and continues to be inevitable.
I think we are fortunate that our surroundings and growth nearby are done and controlled by the "developer".
Thank you for putting into words exactly what my wife & I think!!! 😜
Old 02-21-2020, 11:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribil View Post
The growth of TV is unprecedented and frankly unforeseen given the fact that when we bought in 2011, we were told by the sales office that the “final build-out” will be 2015. No other retirement community IN THE WORLD has grown in this manner so we had no reason to believe that the beautiful retirement village we were sold would turn out to be a money hungry metropolis. Harold Swartz’s vision was described as a utopia built to serve the residents. His dream was completely derailed by his descendants. So the complaints you read are totally justified.
If you think this wasn't Mr. Swartz's idea you're fooling yourself. Developments like The Villages take years or decades to plan and execute. Between March of 2002 and September 2004 CDDs 5 through 10 were established, Mr. Swartz passed in December 2003. He was making the deals for the land many years before his death. If you think he only looked as far as SR44, once again you were fooling yourself, plans have been in the works for many years for what we are seeing now and undoubtedly he had his hand in the pot. If anyone told you about "build out" after 2002 they were either clueless to what was happening around them or lairs.

If you look at were Brownwood sits it would have been stupid to put a premier retail district on the edge of the development (Rohan Rec Center similarly), if SR44 were to be the end, Brownwood would probably be Roosevelt and Truman courses sit today. The question become when was Brownwood planned. Watch this video and pay attention at the 2:10 point.

Making of Brownwood

"...before the first house was built south of 466 we had determined were Brownwood would be..."

Translated - Harold Swartz was a part of the planning of Brownwood and knew and planned to continue on beyond Brownwood.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Swartz but from what I have read his outward persona was a kind and giving individual, much of which was likely a true reflection. In my digging into the history and progress of The Villages over the years I also see a very smart and long term thinking businessman who knew how to, with the help of his son, see the future and needs of the residents and make long term plans for this business. These skills he and Gary Morse pass on to the next generation and the one after that.

The Villages is a business, a business in the market of making retirement communities in a state who's population is increasing by 900 people a day, a significant portion of which are in the 55+ market. Many here and on other sites apply the moniker of greed to The Villages, is the same used when they pick up their phone, tablet, or laptop, or jump in their car, doubtful. If greed were the motivator the extreme attention to the environment shown in water reclamation, construction techniques, and maintaining the green spaces that has not only continued but increased in the newer sections under construction would not be happening. The current generation running the company continues to raise the bar in every aspect of the development, that is there business. Many seem to have forgotten what it means to work and run a business and now only focus on the "me" factor, too bad, the world continues to turn.

If there is a factor of greed that needs to be controlled here, it would be with those select few on the sales end to perpetuate lies such as "build out" in order to make the next sale, these are the lowest form of their profession and need to be weeded out for the good of all.

Is The Villages (both the community and the developer) perfect, hardly so, there is some room for improvement. But what is certain is that it is unlike any other community in so many positive ways that is hard to beat.

I'm no fanboy of the developer, hardly so, I have had and continue to have many conflicts with them on a personal, political, and professional level. I do however respect and appreciate what they've done, how they do it, and how they continue to evolve. At this point in my life I can't think of a better place I would want to live.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 02-21-2020, 12:27 PM

There is growth, and there is GROWTH ! If "they" can continue to plan and coordinate as well as they have in the past, we're OK. On the other hand, it could lose its unique sense of community and atmosphere.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarti1973 View Post
LOL I did not read the article. Did you ever consider that when you expect to be insulted that your opinion might be a little off base to begin with? There are plenty of exit routes from The Villages as well as the State of Florida!
Congratulations … I believe you made the OP's point
Old 02-21-2020, 01:54 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
If you think this wasn't Mr. Swartz's idea you're fooling yourself. Developments like The Villages take years or decades to plan and execute. Between March of 2002 and September 2004 CDDs 5 through 10 were established, Mr. Swartz passed in December 2003. He was making the deals for the land many years before his death. If you think he only looked as far as SR44, once again you were fooling yourself, plans have been in the works for many years for what we are seeing now and undoubtedly he had his hand in the pot. If anyone told you about "build out" after 2002 they were either clueless to what was happening around them or lairs.

If you look at were Brownwood sits it would have been stupid to put a premier retail district on the edge of the development (Rohan Rec Center similarly), if SR44 were to be the end, Brownwood would probably be Roosevelt and Truman courses sit today. The question become when was Brownwood planned. Watch this video and pay attention at the 2:10 point.

Making of Brownwood

"...before the first house was built south of 466 we had determined were Brownwood would be..."

Translated - Harold Swartz was a part of the planning of Brownwood and knew and planned to continue on beyond Brownwood.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Swartz but from what I have read his outward persona was a kind and giving individual, much of which was likely a true reflection. In my digging into the history and progress of The Villages over the years I also see a very smart and long term thinking businessman who knew how to, with the help of his son, see the future and needs of the residents and make long term plans for this business. These skills he and Gary Morse pass on to the next generation and the one after that.

The Villages is a business, a business in the market of making retirement communities in a state who's population is increasing by 900 people a day, a significant portion of which are in the 55+ market. Many here and on other sites apply the moniker of greed to The Villages, is the same used when they pick up their phone, tablet, or laptop, or jump in their car, doubtful. If greed were the motivator the extreme attention to the environment shown in water reclamation, construction techniques, and maintaining the green spaces that has not only continued but increased in the newer sections under construction would not be happening. The current generation running the company continues to raise the bar in every aspect of the development, that is there business. Many seem to have forgotten what it means to work and run a business and now only focus on the "me" factor, too bad, the world continues to turn.

If there is a factor of greed that needs to be controlled here, it would be with those select few on the sales end to perpetuate lies such as "build out" in order to make the next sale, these are the lowest form of their profession and need to be weeded out for the good of all.

Is The Villages (both the community and the developer) perfect, hardly so, there is some room for improvement. But what is certain is that it is unlike any other community in so many positive ways that is hard to beat.

I'm no fanboy of the developer, hardly so, I have had and continue to have many conflicts with them on a personal, political, and professional level. I do however respect and appreciate what they've done, how they do it, and how they continue to evolve. At this point in my life I can't think of a better place I would want to live.

Thanks for pulling facts into the discussion, AGAIN.

Some want to ignore facts and just want to complain.

I hope many posters do a CTRL V and a CTRL P and to save this post because it will be used time and time again.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:18 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,243 Times in 359 Posts

Actually the piece was in the Villages- News. Too long to repost here but google "Headaches heading our way as The Villages doubles in size over the next 20 years" and you can read it on-line.

It always amazes me how many people immediately default to "if you don't like it blah, blah, blah" One can be in a good situation and still look around and recognize potential problems and how things could be better. Take your head out of the sand.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 02-21-2020, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,255 Posts

I know it's just an opinion piece but why didn't the author have the courage to list his/her name?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 02-21-2020, 03:30 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Actually the piece was in the Villages- News. Too long to repost here but google "Headaches heading our way as The Villages doubles in size over the next 20 years" and you can read it on-line.

It always amazes me how many people immediately default to "if you don't like it blah, blah, blah" One can be in a good situation and still look around and recognize potential problems and how things could be better. Take your head out of the sand.

From a population of 1,000 houses, TV has doubled six times. Yep, Lucky number seven will be a problem.

Last edited by dewilson58; 02-21-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

The Villages News is not "The Sun". Many opinion pieces are just that.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
I just read the Sun's editorial comment (saw it on Facebook) regarding the rapid expansion of TV. It is definitely worth reading and they don't pull punches.

I'm sure opinions will vary and I realize that the train is way too far down the tracks to stop or even slow. Never the less, I agree with every word of it.

Please don't bother to insult me just because you disagree with me. It will just roll off my back.
The Daily Sun is a newspaper that is owned by the developer. The Villages News is an online news owned by Meta Minton.

The article was from the online news and not The Daily Sun.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:00 PM
Default Morris Blvd. in Spanish Springs

Morris Blvd. in Spanish Springs needs help with the popular expansion yet all needs are going to the new development area only. Traffic is outrageous and so dangerous for golf carts. Morris needs to have a separate golf cart path and a tunnel by the 466 gate. But no, they just build another golf cart bridge over Rt. 44. For what? To bring them into the Brownwood small center? Are TV residents funding this? Let's get the developer to fix what is broken first.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The Daily Sun is a newspaper that is owned by the developer. The Villages News is an online news owned by Meta Minton.

The article was from the online news and not The Daily Sun.
Yes, I corrected that in my second post.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 02-21-2020, 05:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvelynEvagash View Post
Morris Blvd. in Spanish Springs needs help with the popular expansion yet all needs are going to the new development area only. Traffic is outrageous and so dangerous for golf carts. Morris needs to have a separate golf cart path and a tunnel by the 466 gate. But no, they just build another golf cart bridge over Rt. 44. For what? To bring them into the Brownwood small center? Are TV residents funding this? Let's get the developer to fix what is broken first.
That is how it was built. That is how it was when you bought there. As The Villages grew "they" became better at what they were doing.

I don't understand whose money would build those separate golf cart paths although it is a very good idea and you are right about it being safer.

I don't want to pay for it, do you? I doubt the developer wants to pay for it either. Things don't just don't happen and the developer is not our mother.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:10 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=graciegirl;1720252]The Villages News is not "The Sun". Many opinion pieces are just that.[

All opinion pieces are just that. That is why they are call opinion pieces.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvelynEvagash View Post
Morse Blvd. in Spanish Springs needs help with the popular expansion yet all needs are going to the new development area only. Traffic is outrageous and so dangerous for golf carts. Morse needs to have a separate golf cart path and a tunnel by the 466 gate. But no, they just build another golf cart bridge over Rt. 44. For what? To bring them into the Brownwood small center? Are TV residents funding this? Let's get the developer to fix what is broken first.
We've lived here 10 yrs and use Morse on a regular basis...though we don't live north of 466. I agree that traffic is dense and if "the developer" had had a crystal ball to look into the future they'd have designed things along Morse differently. I just traveled the length of it from 466a to 441/27 yesterday and traffic ALL over was crazy dense. I notice folks not paying attention as well as being impatient. People both in their golf carts and vehicles do crazy, idiotic things. I don't "get" the going out around a golf cart (over the center line) to pass them when they're clearly in their own diamond path. That said, I also don't "get" golf cart drivers straddling their line while in the diamond path or weaving over it. There are many behaviors we all can observe but that said...just pay attention to what you, yourself is doing and you will be fine. As for putting "special attention" to the new part(s)...I only see some of that as improvements. Do you remember when North Morse was worked on about 8 or 9 yrs ago? THAT was a night-mare. IF there was an easement for making a safe golf-cart path I'm sure that we'd have single-lane traffic and NO golf-cart traffic going on there for months. I would suggest---maybe plan your trips accordingly, take your time as well as a deep breath and just relax in your retirement years.
Closed Thread

Tags
tracks, stop, slow, problems, agree

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.