Propane Heater... Move or not move?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Default Propane Heater... Move or not move?

Hi All,

I will be moving from San Diego to The Villages shortly (closing on our Ivy in Village of Pinellas next Friday!), and am hoping you can tell me if I should bring my large patio, propane heater with me. Do people use them on their lanai's/birdcages or is the propane smell too strong?

Thanks so much! I am grateful for all of you that contribute on this forum!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Platinum member

I've only seen them at restaurants around here. I've never seen anyone use them at their home.

How about anyone else?

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 04-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

One thing to consider. MOST Lanai ceiling are only 8' high, I know there's a deflector on top of your heater BUT it's still probably less then 1' foot from the ceiling. We had a party Christmas Eve between the house and the Lanai had 35 people at one point between the house and the Lanai and saw no need for a heater. I have drop down shades and have only used my GC heater outside once so my opinion would ne NO you don't need it, 1 for safety reasons 2 for your not going to be outside IF it gets that cold. JMO
Old 04-07-2013, 08:32 AM

...Had no idea that lanaii ceilings were 8' in height. That is very helpful. I guess the easiest thing is to leave it with the buyers of my home in San Diego and not pay to move it.

Thanks so much for the feedback!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 AM
Sage

I would, without a doubt, bring it with me.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Sage

you can use it in the birdcage and it will be most usefull in winter months
Old 04-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I agree with the "bring it with you". We spend lots of time in the birdcage, year round. In the winter months, it would be nice to have the heater to take the chill out of the air. We are planning to purchase one before next winter for our home.

It really depends upon how much you think you'll use the lanai/birdcage in the cooler months. We have friends that never use their Lanai, when it's below 60 or 70 degrees...
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I have friends that have one in their lanai. They love it and don't know what they'd do without it. When I'm visiting, I usually hang out at the other end because, to me, it's too warm with the heater on (yes, even in the dead of our winter). So, if you like it warm, bring it. Probably cheaper than buying a new one. If you're comfortable with a heavy sweater and jeans, leave it.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-07-2013, 01:09 PM

Seeing how things sell on the "for sale page" -- you can always sell it here if you find you don't need it and tucking it in your truck might not be that big of deal. Driving around last Feb. we saw several here and there at private homes.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:22 PM

We have one and use it in the lanai or within the birdcage, depending on what we are doing. If in the lanai we run the fan and disperses it better. Well worth it.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Sage

Neighbor has one on their lanai and they are only here a few months during the year and not all of them in the winter! I agree bring it and if don't want it this is the easiest place in the world to see things.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Platinum member

I assume you use it in your current home and if you do I would bring it. If height turns out to be a problem can you lower its height by removing a section of the pole?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.