property insurance

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Don't expect your insurance company to give you a good price for being a loyal customer. Sometimes, the opposite is true. Insurance companies practice "price optimization" where they will raise your rate because you are a loyal customer and they don't think you will cancel the policy.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

yes
Old 04-22-2019, 04:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
I called Progressive and they are at their limit for policies in this zip code and to try back in a few months! I've never heard of a company turning down business.
Welcome to a state that has hurricanes.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
The age of the roof may have an impact on your insurance. My understanding is that some insurers increase the premium significantly when the roof is about 15 years old.
Review each line item as the amount of coverage may be higher than you need.
Yes shop the policy.
American Integrity raised mine almost 20% with their last quote. They knew I had a brand new roof. I dropped them and actually I dropped all the insurance I had with Villages Insurance (about 3000 a year in premiums) and replaced all of it with State Farm. Cost about the same overall but I prefer being able to deal with one company for all of it including the house I own in NC.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post

Did find this interesting when questioning the agent about the increase....I was told we won't be able to get a new policy anywhere else because of the age of our roof (2003). I guess everyone North of 466 is gonna need a new roof soon. BTW, Progressive said the roofs are good for 20 years.
I had actually already contracted to have my 19 year old roof replaced when I received a letter from American Integrity that they would not renew our policy because the roof had been repaired ? I called Villages Insurance and they said they do this with all homes with roofs approaching 20 years of age. If you drive through the neighborhoods north of 466 you see new roofs being installed daily.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:54 PM

We bought our house on 2/1/19. I called the local Allstate agent and got a very fair price quote. I paid the entire amount on the spot. Two weeks later I got another bill increasing the total $79.00. I immediately called the agent to complain. They quoted a price and did not honor it. The agency explained that the underwriter had added the increase because my house has "more than 10% hip roof area". I was furious and told them I would not renew or give them my car or any other insurance business. In all fairness, they went back and argued my case with Allstate and I got a refund. I'll stay with them and see what happens at renewal.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
I had actually already contracted to have my 19 year old roof replaced when I received a letter from American Integrity that they would not renew our policy because the roof had been repaired ? I called Villages Insurance and they said they do this with all homes with roofs approaching 20 years of age. If you drive through the neighborhoods north of 466 you see new roofs being installed daily.
It would be nice if the broker or insurance company gave you a one or two year warning.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:29 AM
Unhappy Homeowners Already Know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
It would be nice if the broker or insurance company gave you a one or two year warning.

In theory, I agree with you. Yes -- it would be nice if they gave you some notice, but insurance companies just don't care.

On the other hand, a homeowner has self-created notice. They already know how old their roof is and that their roof is on a count-down for needing to replaced soon.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:51 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

Natural disasters, such as wildfires, floods, tornadoes and hurricanes affect insurance rates. In 2017, over 300 billion dollars in natural disasters, making it the most expensive year for disasters in US history. Last year hurricane Michael struck the panhandle of Florida costing insurance companies billions. Remember Katrina? Following Katrina, many insurance companies quit issuing property insurance, at least for a while. Yes, “Virginia” the cost of property insurance has gone up. Some experts predict we haven’t seen anything yet.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterriess View Post
We bought our house on 2/1/19. I called the local Allstate agent and got a very fair price quote. I paid the entire amount on the spot. Two weeks later I got another bill increasing the total $79.00. I immediately called the agent to complain. They quoted a price and did not honor it. The agency explained that the underwriter had added the increase because my house has "more than 10% hip roof area". I was furious and told them I would not renew or give them my car or any other insurance business. In all fairness, they went back and argued my case with Allstate and I got a refund. I'll stay with them and see what happens at renewal.
That's odd, penalizing for hip roof area. They usually like to see hip roofs vs. gable roofs.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
That's odd, penalizing for hip roof area. They usually like to see hip roofs vs. gable roofs.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
American Integrity raised mine almost 20% with their last quote. They knew I had a brand new roof. I dropped them and actually I dropped all the insurance I had with Villages Insurance (about 3000 a year in premiums) and replaced all of it with State Farm. Cost about the same overall but I prefer being able to deal with one company for all of it including the house I own in NC.
watch out for State Farm when it comes time for them to step to the plate they do not do the right thing. They will fight paying out a claim even when the other person is 100% at fault. Also the Agent on 301 by 44 is not who i thought they where. I thought i had a personal relationship with them, but when it was time for them to deal with corporate State Farm they put there head in the sand. So sad Insurance company's are out for profit and that is it period.
When the storms came across Florida in the Villages in the middle 2000 Allstate, State Farm got out of Florida and would not right good customers and dropped customers that didn't even have a claim. Beware and watch who and what you are dealing with.
It is very said in Florida and legislation in Tallahassee is allowing it to happen and protects these insurances company for there bad behavior so they won't leave again. SOoooo sad.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterriess View Post
The people who sell insurance call themselves "agents" but they really aren't agents for the company in the legal sense. So, when an Allstate agent quotes you a price, they are not representing Allstate, and they are not bound by the quote, or to even approve your policy. I learned this the hard way. Read the fine print.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:09 AM
Default Safe Harbor Home Insurance has been recommended

Any recommendation for or against using Safe Harbor?
Old 04-23-2019, 10:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The people who sell insurance call themselves "agents" but they really aren't agents for the company in the legal sense. So, when an Allstate agent quotes you a price, they are not representing Allstate, and they are not bound by the quote, or to even approve your policy. I learned this the hard way. Read the fine print.
unfortunately i found out the hard way too that Allstate and State Farm that only sells for there company is not loyal to there customers by any means either. JMO
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, property, claims, period, jump

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.