Screen doors

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Gold member
Default Screen doors

I need some advise on a screen door for my front door. The home we are buying does not have one. I would think it would be important for cross ventilation in the cooler months. The thing is I do not want to cover up the door with a screen/storm door. I noticed while looking at houses some have a"roll" style screen" door". Advantages/disadvantages, hints please. :dontknow:
Old 09-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Sage
Default Re: Screen doors

Beady...I just called a guy today and ordered a retractable screen door for my front door. Same reasoning you have... we have a nice front door and I didn't want to permanently cover it with a storm door. With cooler weather coming, opening up front and back creates a great cross breeze.

This guy installs clearview brand...I have seen it and the Larsen and ?? brand carried by HomeDepot/Lowes. The clearview brand seems to be much higher quality...smoother retracting, reinforced edges to the screen , and comes in 10 colors to have a better chance to match your paint. But, it costs more...approx $375 installed.

One neighbor had the Lowes product installed within the past year and is already seeing some fraying of the screen edges. Also, it takes a lot of force to open and close.

I've talked to about 4 people who have installed the doors and they are all happy that they did it.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:02 AM
Veteran member

Villages07, Could you please share the name and phone number of your installer? Thanks!

Becky
Old 09-28-2007, 06:25 AM
Sage

Becky,

Don't laugh, but, his name is Thumper (and no, he's doesn't look like a rabbit)...recommended by a neighbor. His number is 352-245-5892. Takes a couple of weeks for the door to arrive (he has to order it from mfr). He'll come out and measure, show you the product sample, and color samples. Payment upon completion of job, no $$ upfront. He also does the screen doors for garages....but, we weren't interested in that right now.

Good luck.

V07
Old 09-28-2007, 07:46 AM
Gold member

Thanks Villages07 for the help.

I will get in touch with your guy when we move in. There is nothing better than a word of mouth recommendations. I am always happier using a product knowing someone has had a good experience.

beady
Old 09-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Veteran member

Thanks Villages07! Will contact him before I come down in Nov. Agree with beady- always nice to get happy customer recommendations! Thanks again!

Becky
Old 09-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Eternal Member

I am not sure why you do not want a storm door. You can slide the screens up and down for ventilation. You are protected from the elements if it rains (storm window up up). You can lock it and you can open slide the screen down and not get intruded on. You can coat it with the window coating so it reduces the heat. It also protects your door and door hardware from rusting from the elements. I have visited a number of people where their knobs have oxidized and the key is hard to insert into the lock.

Just a question and an opinion. I have the storm door and am very happy and fell safe with it.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Sage

zcave...more aesthetic reasons than functional; I spent the $$ with Perry's to have full length decorative glass insert in my front door and don't want to cover it up (partly or more) with a storm door. Will only use the retractable screen during the day to get cross breeze...otherwise it will stay zipped up. Agree with you on the practical benefits of a storm door.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Village07. I do think that the decorative doors do look nice.

It just seems to me that a front door looks naked without a screen door (impractical in this weather) or a storm door. A point I forgot.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:32 AM
Gold member

Zcave,
Now you have given me a reason to think about a traditional screen/storm door versus a rolling door.My front door is recessed and has a substantial overhang so , unless it is facing the direction of the storms I don't think the weather impact would be substantial. However, if the weather is cool, I could have the main door open and the storm door would be some protection with the glass up. Food for thought. Isn't that what this forum is all about !! :
Old 09-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Eternal Member

First of all I guess I am confused about what a rectractable or roll-up screen door is. My storm door is slide-up.

Secondly, I have a 7 ft overhang and if the rain is coming east to west, my storm door gets soaking wet. Since most of the storms go south to north (or visa versa), I am not bothered.

I prefer my storm door. As usual, it comes down to whatever you like best.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.