Golf Cart Seat Belts, Pet Carriers or Harnesses

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Platinum member
Default Golf Cart Seat Belts, Pet Carriers or Harnesses

The last time we had our dog with us in TV was July. She loved riding on the golf cart. Wherever we went she sat up like a princess just observing. She didn't move, or try to jump off. We used a car harness for her which we bought in PetCo. But just like people should have seat belts in golf carts, I suspect that pet's also would be injured in a golf cart accident. On that point, how many people have considered seat belts for their golf cart? Driving around TV, off the course, it seems like a pretty good idea. All of the people injured recently seem to have been thrown out of the cart during an accident. George
Old 12-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: Golf Cart Seat Belts, Pet Carriers or Harnesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung
The last time we had our dog with us in TV was July. She loved riding on the golf cart. Wherever we went she sat up like a princess just observing. She didn't move, or try to jump off. We used a car harness for her which we bought in PetCo. But just like people should have seat belts in golf carts, I suspect that pet's also would be injured in a golf cart accident. On that point, how many people have considered seat belts for their golf cart? Driving around TV, off the course, it seems like a pretty good idea. All of the people injured recently seem to have been thrown out of the cart during an accident. George
I think that the golf carts should have seat belts. We have a bed like thing that straps to the golf cart. It has a restraint for the dog.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:54 PM

The GEM (LSV) which is considered both a golf cart and Low Speed Vehicle comes with them as standard equipment.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Seat belts can be installed in any golf cart for a very nominal cost. Less then $50 for two. Takes about 15 minutes. They come in many colors, with all the necessary hardware and backing plates. all you need is a drill and basic wrenches. Here is one link where you can buy them. I am sure there are others and probably places like Autozone or Pep Boys have them as well. These are lap belts only. I am sure sholder belts can also be installed in any cart with a roof by attaching to the back roof support posts, but have never tried that.

http://www.gotbelts.com/style.html
Old 12-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Veteran member

Seat belts in a golf cart is an excellent idea. I have to tell you, when we were there last year on the Preview, we rented a golf cart and I was very uncomfortable riding in it not secured with a seat belt. I"m surprised isn't mandatory. Aprox. how many accidents occur with golf carts, say, in a month in TV?
Village of Hemmingway
Old 12-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Platinum member

Peg, think about a 4-seater with the passenger riding backwards. They probably wouldn't know what hit them until they flew out into the blue after the sudden stop. But even the folks facing foward wouldn't have all that much time to react because if they saw the other cart, chances are they would have avoided it.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

As much as I found it fun and exhilarating to be riding around in an easily accessible vehicle it did give me pause to consider while sliding across the vinyl seat as we went around corners or hit bumps that seat belts would be something we'd have installed on any carts we purchase.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Veteran member

Punk,
I agree with you. I'm short, and there wasn't much to hold on to going around corners. I'll admit it is a great feeling to ride in something so open, but I felt very unsafe.

G, I can't imagine ridng backwards. That would just freak me out!!

Maybe when you rent a golf cart, they should issue crash helmets!!
Village of Hemmingway
Old 12-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Sage

My Western 4 seater golf cart came with seat belts. I never ride or drive without using those belts.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G

Seat belts are great. I installed them on our first cart and a couple of our friends. We have belts in our present cart and use them all the time. We LEARNED by experience of not wearing them. Last February 2nd, if we had been wearing our belts, we probably would not have gotten as injured when a Cadillac ran into us. Even tho our cart was custom and had doors, it broke the hinges off both doors and I was thrown out, landed on my left shoulder and side, (still have problems with it), my wife was thrown up against the windshield came down on the steering wheel (bent it down) injuring her chest and legs, (still having problems also). It totaled our cart, had it been a regular type cart we would have had more serious injuries maybe killed.

Highly recommend installing seat belts.

Have a Safe Happy New Year and wear your belts.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:01 AM

I know this is a little off topic, but are there a lot of accidents involving golf carts? Are they usually in town?
Old 12-31-2007, 04:35 AM
Platinum member

It would be hard to know. You only hear about the accidents involving cars (or pickup trucks) or which require medical attention. My guess is it's not a frequent occurrence. Otherwise, they'd be requiring insurance when you rent a golf cart--and they don't. They don't even offer it.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:21 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

Dennis G, from the sound of it you were lucky not to be killed! Sounds like a horrendous wreck!

Is there such a thing as Golf Cart insurance?

I was even a bit surprised at how fast our host drove her own Golf Cart; flying around corners and in and out of the tunnels! I thought she was kind of on the mellow side.... Obviously I was mistaken, lol.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkpup
Dennis G, from the sound of it you were lucky not to be killed! Sounds like a horrendous wreck!

Is there such a thing as Golf Cart insurance?

I was even a bit surprised at how fast our host drove her own Golf Cart; flying around corners and in and out of the tunnels! I thought she was kind of on the mellow side.... Obviously I was mistaken, lol.
Yes, there is cart insurance available. Either thru your homeowners policy or auto policy.
I have ours thru our auto policy (State Farm) and have the same coverage as on our vehicles. It is only $160.00 a year vs about $60.00 on the homeowners with only $5000. loss coverage. I have been told by two different agents that some homeowners policy only covers to and from the golf course and while on the course, doesn't cover the cruising most people do or running errands. They may have just been saying that to sell the other policy, I don't know for sure, as I have always been covered under our auto policy.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung
It would be hard to know. You only hear about the accidents involving cars (or pickup trucks) or which require medical attention. My guess is it's not a frequent occurrence. Otherwise, they'd be requiring insurance when you rent a golf cart--and they don't. They don't even offer it.
Those posts on Morse Circle sure have a lot of dents on them. Heard a rumor that they are hit quite often by golf carts. :dontknow:
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.