Public Service Announcement - Police Speed Traps

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2021, 09:54 AM
Default X-copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penglobal View Post
In no way am I encouraging dangerous or unlawful driving habits, but I have noticed several police speed traps, or better known as traffic enforcement areas popping-up within our community. There has been daily speed traps for the past two weeks on Warm Spring Avenue near Meggison Road which is just north of the Florida Turnpike. There has been increased police traffic enforcement during the weekdays and primarily during the afternoon. I saw some poor guy get pulled over for maybe going 10 - 15 mph over the posted speed limit. I understand he was speeding a little, but really.

Which other areas of our community should I pay special attention when driving? Always be safe and please drive safely.
Speeding “a little” is the same as
Kinda robbing a bank. Either your speeding or not. If you drive responsibly you never need to fear the policeman with a ticket book. Alerting everyone is a disservice.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
In no way am I encouraging dangerous or unlawful driving habits, but I have noticed several police speed traps, or better known as traffic enforcement areas popping-up within our community. There has been daily speed traps for the past two weeks on Warm Spring Avenue near Meggison Road which is just north of the Florida Turnpike. There has been increased police traffic enforcement during the weekdays and primarily during the afternoon. I saw some poor guy get pulled over for maybe going 10 - 15 mph over the posted speed limit. I understand he was speeding a little, but really.

Which other areas of our community should I pay special attention when driving? Always be safe and please drive safely.
Do the crime, pay the fine.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:30 AM
Default Speeding is speeding

What do people not understand about it? I told my kids, "If you get a ticket
for speeding, own up to it and don't try to get your friends to "fix" it for you. Take the punishment. Told this to my grandkids, too. My oldest grandson called me one day and said, "Grandmom, it worked . I was speeding and the cop pulled me over. I told him, Yes, I know was speeding, I apologize and I will slow down". The cop was so surprised that he let my grandson off with a warning.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Actually, if you receive a citation, you have been "arrested." You were just released at the scene on your signature, promising to satisfy the citation or appear in court. "Arrested" and "taken into custody" are not always the same thing. One can be taken into custody for any violation, but of course that is generally not practical or necessary. Don't believe me? Next time an officer asks for your signature on a citation, try telling him/her, "to heck with you...I ain't signing that." See what happens.

Sorry to disagree, but you are 100% wrong. In the State of Florida as in most states, a civil traffic citation for any NON-CRIMINAL offense, such as in most speeding tickets is a civil infraction and is not an arrestable offense and YOUR signature on a majority of citations is not required.

Last edited by Penglobal; 09-27-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
There was a vehicular accident there recently and someone was killed.
Driving is probably the most dangerous activity each one of us participates in everyday.

From Google, "For all of 2020, 38,680 people died on U.S. roads - up 7.2% or nearly 2,600 more than in 2019, even though Americans drove 13% fewer miles, preliminary data showed. The fatality rate hit 1.37 deaths per 100 million miles, the highest figure since 2006.Jun 3, 2021"
Old 09-27-2021, 11:46 AM
Default Speeding

Speeding is traveling faster than a roads posted limit.
It Is like being pregnant, you either are or you are not.
Do I speed , more often than I should.
Tks for the friendly reminder to slow down, where do I think I am going, every day is like Sunday.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

In Florida, you must be doing in excess of 5 mph over the limit before a LEO can issue a speeding ticket. So if you get pulled over, then IMHO, you have no complaint. Speeding isn't so much of a problem as is vehicles not coming to a complete stop at stop signs. Also vehicles (Spanish Springs Town Square) making left turns at a right turn only sign and vice versa.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:45 PM
Sage

I've been stopped twice for speeding. The 1st time I was and deserved my ticket. The officer sarcasticly said "haste makes waste" as he handed me my ticket. THAT made me further angrier. I was speeding due to being late (not my fault by the way) and needed to pick someone up. THIS was many years ago---in the early 70's. The the 2nd time---stopped again and told I was going more than the posted limit. I was dumb-founded and might have said as much. When he went back to his vehicle he was there awhile then came back and his only words were---"I should have made this a warning so I'll give you that but next time adhere to the law". My thinking without truly knowing is he made the mistake. The road has a 4-way and the opposite road is more in the country so might have been posted differently. I hadn't see him when I passed through it. He had it in his mind my speed was the other one (confusing, yes?) I know better to watch it because getting tickets aren't worth the hassle to deal with.

On another note---I had a "light bulb" moment this weekend. I had to be on a muscle relaxant for a condition I have. I decided to half it and take 2mg instead of 4mg. Good thing too. BOTH times I took it my thought processes were slow and muddled (hard to explain). I had to stay home and good thing! Anyway, I'd venture to say that people here might be on a plethora of meds that do similar. Hence some of the behaviors, driving issues and more.

As for the fast-speeds! I hate the intersections like 44/B.V. and Morse. Always wait to see if someone will blow through at the last minute (red light) and ram our vehicle. THIS is what some of those accidents are. At the lights of 466 and Morse as well as B.V. too.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:46 PM

Why don't people realize that it is a much nicer world when everyone plays by the same rules! But some folks don't respect rules!
Old 09-28-2021, 06:34 AM
Default May be 10 0r 15

Quote:

LEO usually won't bother a driver that is 5 to 8 over unless in a school zone. Allow enough time to reach your destination and take a relaxed drive. Our community appear to have 2 speeds wide open or a crawl. Many seniors drive slower as their reflexes are generally slower, others are in a huge hurry. The majority of the time the driver flying weaving in and out of traffic is waiting at the next light. Where we hail from in GA 10 over is a steep fine & 15 over gets you a day in court.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewalsh43 View Post
Speeding “a little” is the same as
Kinda robbing a bank. Either your speeding or not. If you drive responsibly you never need to fear the policeman with a ticket book. Alerting everyone is a disservice.
Ridiculous analogy, comparing a graduated offense to a yes/no scenario. It's like saying you performed just as well with a D- as an A+ on a test because it was pass/fail grading. And going 31 in a 30 zone is like "robbing a bank"???? And driving 31 in a 30 zone is "irresponsible"????
Old 09-29-2021, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

///
Old 09-30-2021, 08:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I hate the intersections like 44/B.V. and Morse. Always wait to see if someone will blow through at the last minute (red light) and ram our vehicle. THIS is what some of those accidents are.
Yeah, I am very cautious at those intersections. I drive a car with a manual transmission, so I have the car in neutral when I am waiting for the light to turn green.

When it turns green, I slowly press the clutch and put the car in first gear, and look to see if someone is running the red light. Then I move out into the line of fire (i.e. the main road).
Old 09-30-2021, 03:50 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterflower View Post
If this community really cared about the issues that arise, all would be at the count/state door to improve the roads conditions.All roundabouts are not safe. This needs to be re-engineered. Go to the state or county to discuss removing all round-abouts.
The roundabout just north of Meggison on Warm Springs is the perfect example. Two lanes going north merge to 1 exiting the roundabout combined with one lane coming from the west. Yet just a couple hundred feet further, Warm Springs is 2 lanes again. What the heck were they thinking?? Should have stayed two lanes all the way through with a separate merge lane for the west lane traffic from Southern Oaks.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
The roundabout just north of Meggison on Warm Springs is the perfect example. Two lanes going north merge to 1 exiting the roundabout combined with one lane coming from the west. Yet just a couple hundred feet further, Warm Springs is 2 lanes again. What the heck were they thinking?
When we approach that roundabout from the south, we always make sure we are in the left lane.

There are other roundabouts in The Villages that have the same problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
speed, traps, community, driving, areas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.