"Public" (Villages-specific) transit?

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts
Default "Public" (Villages-specific) transit?

Once upon a time, the Villages wasn't enormous. It is, now. The size of a small city or large town. It has so many different sections, and rec centers, and town squares - and SO much congestion and traffic now, once you get out of your own neighborhood and onto the main roads, especially as you approach the town squares or non-Villages shops.

Is it time, then, for a Villages transit? A shuttle system for Villagers. Maybe it would make stops at the regional rec centers, the championship golf clubhouses, and the town squares. How I envision it:

There'd be Route 1, 2, and 3. 1 would be North. 2 would be central. 3 would be south.

Rte 1 would start at Lake Sumter Landing, and head north on Buena Vista. It'd continue north to the Southern Trace shopping plaza and professional center, then up to the Savannah regional rec center. Then it'd go up to Mulberry Grove, and stop at the shopping/professional office and the VA medical center there, with another stop at the Nancy Lopez country club clubhouse.

It'd turn at Mulberry Grove and head back, cutting over on El Camino Real and stop at the edge of Spanish Springs town square. It'd circle around that, and take Morse Blvd. back to Sumter.

Each route would leave from Sumter (since it's currently the center-most town square). There'd be a 3-4 shuttles on each route total. That way there will always be one "on the way back" and one "on the way out" and two halfway between in either direction.

This could really free up the roads, for people who don't feel any interest in driving, but need to, to get to appointments, or just to enjoy a change of pace from their own neighborhood, rec center, or square.

It'd probably also be awesome for those patients who need to get to their appointments and are still physically independent, but aren't comfortable driving due to medical reasons, and usually have to rely on taxis, or friends or spouses to drive them everywhere.

Either as an amenity-covered service, or an extra paid subscription that is attached to your Villages ID - it'd work the same as the gates work. You palm the ID over the sensor and it beeps and the driver lets you on board.

Reduce the number of drivers, but still have the same number of "people on the roads" - imagine up to 80 people at any given moment, who would otherwise be in their own cars - who are now all on one of 4 buses. And that's just one of the routes. Now imagine all three routes, that's 240 motor vehicles that are -not- on the road, while still allowing people the freedom to go to the main hubs of the Villages.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

How many do you think would ride such a system, the cities I've been in all have public transportation yet those that have cars still want to drive them. For some reason everyone wants to pass go and get where they're going without stops. The autonomous driving vehicle program that starts this year will be an interesting experiment. I'm just doubtful the Villagers will ride the bus.....imho.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-15-2019, 11:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
How many do you think would ride such a system, the cities I've been in all have public transportation yet those that have cars still want to drive them. For some reason everyone wants to pass go and get where they're going without stops. The autonomous driving vehicle program that starts this year will be an interesting experiment. I'm just doubtful the Villagers will ride the bus.....imho.
Public transportation always comes with too many stops if you're trying to start at one end, and get to the other end. I agree, it isn't likely many people would want something like that in the Villages.

But something with limited stops - if you live just south of Sumter, and have a doctor's appointment in Mulberry Grove around 11, why not make a day of it? Park in Sumter, hop on the shuttle. Get to your doctor's appointment. After that, maybe meet a friend in Spanish Springs for a late lunch, then take the shuttle back to your car. I can definitely see me doing things like that fairly regularly. I think anyone who is from a city and made regular use of fast transit (such as a subway system or trolley) would enjoy not having to drive every time they wanted to go anywhere. It's an added convenience, with traffic management as a focus.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Once upon a time, <long post ... snip>
Transit | Sumter County, FL - Official Website
Sumter County Transit - And it is just not utilized
Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 AM
Sage

"Maybe" in theory this sounds like a great idea. BUT how would those folks get to the regional rec centers or pick up points? What about people with medical issues?? I for one, wouldn't want to rely on a public transit for the reasons of it would take too much time out of a day (stops along the way etc). I have a relative up north who is disabled, in a wheelchair who once relied on a transit system aimed at their issues. Many times the vehicle showed up late and it proved not to be practical in the long run for them. They eventually got their own adapted vehicle. NOT sure what the solution is for the traffic volume as the community grows that's viable. Maybe stop people from coming to Florida period?? NOT going to happen!
Old 01-16-2019, 09:03 AM
Sage

I think the practicality of such a system is that from time to time help from the government would be necessary. We have NO central government, thus we would have to deal with 3 counties and 2 cities. I really can't see that as being viable given today's political climate.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Can't see that happening, although a good idea, and we would use it.
The main drawback would be parking for the cars/carts at the pickup points, because as sure as God made little apples, no one is going to walk to the bus stop.
The large majority of villagers would rather have teeth pulled without anesthetic, than walk any distance!
Old 01-16-2019, 10:47 AM

TV could use the numerous trolleys that are sitting at the sales offices for transporting people to the Squares...there is plenty of opportunity to design a system that would benefit village residents...but because things are so spread out folks still need their own personal form of transport once they reach the drop off point.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB View Post
TV could use the numerous trolleys that are sitting at the sales offices for transporting people to the Squares...there is plenty of opportunity to design a system that would benefit village residents...but because things are so spread out folks still need their own personal form of transport once they reach the drop off point.
You know on our Lifestyle visit, not once did anyone suggest that we take that trolley tour of the Villages. I forgot all about it til our last day and at that point it was already too late to ask. I would've loved the tour, if they were still being offered.

I agree you'd still need to get to the pickup/dropoff points, but my thinking is this:

It's the MAIN roads that have the worst congestion, and the areas around the roundabouts, and the entries/exits into the town squares and non-Villages shopping areas.

The traffic is the focus. To reduce traffic in the highest-congested areas.

Having to drive/golf-cart to the local pickup/dropoff point would reduce traffic. It wouldn't eliminate it, but it would certainly reduce it. There would be fewer drivers from the "other" areas driving to "your" area, and you would be driving less often outside "your" area to "other" areas.

With "your" being the local pickup/dropoff point, such as a regional rec center or town square. That would also mean fewer parking spaces taken in the town squares, because if I see something I want to do on the other end of the Villages, my only option right now is to drive there and take up a parking space. The option to take a trolley/shuttle doesn't currently exist.

I like having options.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
You know on our Lifestyle visit, not once did anyone suggest that we take that trolley tour of the Villages. I forgot all about it til our last day and at that point it was already too late to ask. I would've loved the tour, if they were still being offered.

I agree you'd still need to get to the pickup/dropoff points, but my thinking is this:

It's the MAIN roads that have the worst congestion, and the areas around the roundabouts, and the entries/exits into the town squares and non-Villages shopping areas.

Having to drive/golf-cart to the local pickup/dropoff point would reduce traffic. It wouldn't eliminate it, but it would certainly reduce it. There would be fewer drivers from the "other" areas driving to "your" area, and you would be driving less often outside "your" area to "other" areas.

With "your" being the local pickup/dropoff point, such as a regional rec center or town square. That would also mean fewer parking spaces taken in the town squares, because if I see something I want to do on the other end of the Villages, my only option right now is to drive there and take up a parking space. The option to take a trolley/shuttle doesn't currently exist.

I like having options.
You are thinking like the way of life you have now in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut. I would hate to drive or walk somewhere to get on Public transportation like you have to in Manhattan where our granddaughter lives.

I don't want to "make a day of it". I want to go, do it, come home, have a swim, go to the grocery and then put on my comfortables after I take off my uncomfortables. I like zipping around in my golf cart. I like that the car is sitting there ready to go when I am ready to go.

I think if you lived here you would soon enjoy our ways. Many people from heavily congested urban areas ask about buses and cabs. We don't need them, we have golf carts. We have nice garages for our cars. (At NO Extra charge)
Old 01-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

You know, there are some good ideas here. It would be a good thing if the ideas were taken to the local CDD, and perhaps have the supervisors’ backing the ideas. Might need some fine tuning, but I can see that, if structured and routed carefully, there would be a fair number of people who would use the bus/trolley option.

I have neighbors where the husband is not well, and he always did the car driving. The wife considers driving from one square to another as stressful. She has the car and the cart, but I bet she would take advantage of public transportation.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:51 PM
Veteran member

It is almost impossible to get elderly people who should no longer be driving to give up their keys, so I can't imagine many of them would use such a system when they can continue to drive anywhere they like in their no-need-for-a-drivers-license golf cart.

For those who don't want to drive, there is Uber.

kathy
Old 01-16-2019, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

In theory something to think about, in practice never will work. Just wouldn't.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:29 PM
Sage

Quote:

I like having options.
I already made a post in this thread BUT I cannot believe the trolley wasn't suggested to you. We had that brought up to us to get a "feeling" for the community etc. Since doing it that first time, before buying and moving here---we've done it a handful of times. Even last Fall we did the Trolley (just because) down to Fenney.
I still (after reading ALL the other's comments) don't think it would be a viable solution to our community. THAT said, it would be a great idea. Maybe someone would figure out a taxi service OR Uber would become more prolific here. I do know it's already here in "some" cases but not sure how extensive it is or used. Having a central place for pick-ups and drop-offs----I would say wouldn't work due to how to getting there and a parking conundrum for those using the transit. That brings up still, the traffic congestion as what about those vehicles being on the roads??
Old 01-16-2019, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Who is going to pay for this Great Idea? It certainly will not stand on its own........what city transit does?

Tags
town, center, rec, people, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.