Publix at Colony Plaza

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleevee View Post
Oh Kathie, I must disagree, compared to Staten Island, the food here (Publix), is much more expensive. I was talking to a woman from Boston and she agreed.........no great prices here.
You know Shirleevee, I was thinkin' along the same lines. Just yesterday about food prices. One orange cost $1.69...They were that a pound and I weighed one. You can get three lemons for two bucks and limes were equally high. They grow here for petes sake. I was going to take all of the lecturing by Villages Pl and Jimbo to heart and buy a LOT more fresh vegetables and fruits but my stars they certainly aren't as cheap as they were about six months ago.

We would go back to Ohio when we were snowbirding and be able to buy food that was less expensive for the same items...EVEN CITRUS. I don't know now about the difference since we live here year around coming up on two years.

But it is nice that the competition and free enterprise causes some improvement in the local grocery stores. I hope they have price wars soon.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You know Shirleevee, I was thinkin' along the same lines. Just yesterday about food prices. One orange cost $1.69...They were that a pound and I weighed one. You can get three lemons for two bucks and limes were equally high. They grow here for petes sake. I was going to take all of the lecturing by Villages Pl and Jimbo to heart and buy a LOT more fresh vegetables and fruits but my stars they certainly aren't as cheap as they were about six months ago.

We would go back to Ohio when we were snowbirding and be able to buy food that was less expensive for the same items...EVEN CITRUS. I don't know now about the difference since we live here year around coming up on two years.

But it is nice that the competition and free enterprise causes some improvement in the local grocery stores. I hope they have price wars soon.
citrus isn't ripe here until fall/winter...then I can get you some from local friends.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
citrus isn't ripe here until fall/winter...then I can get you some from local friends.

Now...that makes sense. Thank goodness for the wisdom of friends.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleevee View Post
Oh Kathie, I must disagree, compared to Staten Island, the food here (Publix), is much more expensive. I was talking to a woman from Boston and she agreed.........no great prices here.
You all are probably right, but I should clarify.. NY is a big place... when I say, NY, I'm talking about Manhattan because that's where I lived. D'Agostino was very expensive. The other boroughs of NY had stores that were much less expensive. Many times I bought my fruits and veggies in the small deli's that were extremely expensive but so delicious.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 08-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
You all are probably right, but I should clarify.. NY is a big place... when I say, NY, I'm talking about Manhattan because that's where I lived. D'Agostino was very expensive. The other boroughs of NY had stores that were much less expensive. Many times I bought my fruits and veggies in the small deli's that were extremely expensive but so delicious.
Prices are higher on Long Island also trust me. Last time I was up there had to run to the store thought I'd have to take out a loan. Off topic but Went to our old favorite watering hole paid $9.00 for a bottle of beer, gas was .35 per gallon more.
I'll take Publix prices and TV's watering hole prices any day. Just reminds me why we left.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Now...that makes sense. Thank goodness for the wisdom of friends.
We'll ride over to my brother's in Crystal River and pick 'em ourselves. fun!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:

IMO Publix is so far ahead of Sweetbay in every way including low price, I kinda doubt they are doing anything reactive. Publix has been my store since I can remember being old enough to use a credit card. Don't mess with Publix.
Publix in colony did not do the upgrading because of sweetbay opening a new store. Every store budgets x amount of dollars each year after they have been open for 5 years to make upgrades. The colony store is still doing 820,000 a week in sales which by the time a new store opens will be close to a million a week even in summer. I hope a new store opens in the winter of 2015.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Sage

Sooooo I guess it was just a coincidence the upgrades came just prior to Sweetbay opening??? And with the fabulous amount of business they do why would they spend the money to attract more people when the place was busting at the seams already? I think Sweetbay played a big part in the update.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Sage

Publix upgrading and expanding all deli sections - Sun Sentinel

uncle?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:36 AM

Competition is one of the many things that has made this country great. If a Walmart supercenter was to be built on say 44 I would bet the prices at Publix would drop.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Not quite yet:
1) The upgrades are being done in the south Florida stores.
2) Didn't notice or mention deli upgrades - a new fancy meat counter, a new
look to the produce, and a re-arranged bakery someone else noted are
what is happening in the Colony Plaza store.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Not quite yet:
1) The upgrades are being done in the south Florida stores.
2) Didn't notice or mention deli upgrades - a new fancy meat counter, a new
look to the produce, and a re-arranged bakery someone else noted are
what is happening in the Colony Plaza store.
Also a new meat dept. looks like a butcher shop
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 08-02-2013, 11:08 AM

I don't believe anyone compared the level of customer service (except returning items) between Publix and Sweetbay. At Publix, if you cannot find an item, they walk you to it; staff are available on the floor to assist customers; they insist on taking your groceries to the car; employees have smiles on their faces; the list can go on and on. Unfortunately, you do not find any of the many things that make shopping pleasurable at Sweetbay...some of their employees look as though they hate being there and, I swear, there is a woman who works in the deli that must eat razor blades for breakfast...down right nasty! I do agree it would nice if Publix added smaller carts for smaller purchases
Old 08-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Amen alleluia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvalboomer View Post
Seems to me lowering their prices would be a better move. I could care less about a face lift
I am always appalled when I see the price of deli meats at Publix. You can shop at Fresh Market cheaper that that, I think Sweetbay's prices will get more of their business than the trappings they improve.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Sooooo I guess it was just a coincidence the upgrades came just prior to Sweetbay opening??? And with the fabulous amount of business they do why would they spend the money to attract more people when the place was busting at the seams already? I think Sweetbay played a big part in the update.
Yes it is a coincidence. This was planned long before sweetbay announced their new store. These upgrades are done at every publix eventually. with 1060 stores these things are done from the store with the lowest sales to the store with the highest sales.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.