Publix phasing out plastic bags

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2020, 10:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I don't have a Dog, Cat, Bird, or GoldFish No Mo.

We waited for our last dog to get into position and put the Publix Plastic Bag minus any slit, slots or holes under his butt. People would occasionally skid to a stop and ask us how we trained him to do his thing in the bag. We always told them it was rough training him but somehow with time we managed. We had a whole lotta laughs about it but I don't care to much about these little things anymore. We gave up bringing in 12 cases of Aquafina a month after we saw a documentary about Plastic in the oceans and landfills on Netflix. I did my part for a while.

If things change at Publix we'll reassess the situation and adjust to something else. Besides how many things have we read on here over the years that are speculation anywho?
Old 01-19-2020, 10:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Nucky, one of the things we first noticed about using non-disposable grocery shopping bags was how much easier they are on the hands to carry out of the car into the house. And we store them in the trunk of the cars, so no storage issues in the house.

Give it a try! The hardest part was remembering to bring them out of the car into the store.
We've got freezer bags for the frozen stuff we pick up at The Walmart Neighborhood Market when we order online. It's gotta be 8 to 10 miles from our house but prefer going there because it's a beautiful ride and the situation there feels a little better.

Can you imagine doing your shopping online and having to bring your own bag, container, etc and bag every item in the middle of a parking lot? I'm sorta thinking if Publix does it then Walmart and Winn Dixie will follow. Maybe yes maybe no. I get it CFrance but I don't like it at all. Thank you for being kind.

How much are we going to get paid for checking ourselves out at various stores. That was first, bags next, then who knows what else they have in line to take away from us or make us do?
Old 01-19-2020, 10:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,433 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
We've got freezer bags for the frozen stuff we pick up at The Walmart Neighborhood Market when we order online. It's gotta be 8 to 10 miles from our house but prefer going there because it's a beautiful ride and the situation there feels a little better.

Can you imagine doing your shopping online and having to bring your own bag, container, etc and bag every item in the middle of a parking lot? I'm sorta thinking if Publix does it then Walmart and Winn Dixie will follow. Maybe yes maybe no. I get it CFrance but I don't like it at all. Thank you for being kind.

How much are we going to get paid for checking ourselves out at various stores. That was first, bags next, then who knows what else they have in line to take away from us or make us do?
Nah, it really isn't that bad. Also - if they're doing it the same way they did it in Connecticut, they will still have produce bags and bags for the meat department and fish department.

So if you have frozen stuff, if it's not too big a package, you can just put those things in the produce bags to keep them from getting everything wet while they're in the car.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,433 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
It's wonderful Publix will be phasing out plastic bags. It can only help the environment. Maybe it will only help a little but every little bit helps.

HOWEVER! With all the money they save on the bags will they reflect that in their pricing or donate it to environmental causes??? 100% NOT. So I question their altruism but support their decision.
Actually - they donate 10 cents for each of the 3 standard reusable bags to sustainability projects in the community (such as planting trees). They contribute up to $125,000 every year through proceeds of these sales.

According to their website, they've donated $355,000 since 2016, to the Arbor Day Foundation, that plants longleaf seedlings in a couple of watershed areas.

They've also been doing this reuseable bag program for 20 years, so the notion of them promoting them and not using single-use bags is nothing new for Publix.

You can read about the bags, and the donations, here:

Reusable Bags | Publix Sustainability

and here:

Publix Reusable Bags: An Inside Look | Publix Super Market | The Publix Checkout

Lastly - considering that this second article is dated January 8, it might be that the greeter misinterpreted it and concluded erroneously that Publix was planning on doing away with single-use bags completely.

I see no news articles, and nothing on Publix website, indicating any official change in their current policy - which is to encourage and heavily promote the use and purchase of re-usable bags.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Nah, it really isn't that bad. Also - if they're doing it the same way they did it in Connecticut, they will still have produce bags and bags for the meat department and fish department.

So if you have frozen stuff, if it's not too big a package, you can just put those things in the produce bags to keep them from getting everything wet while they're in the car.
Imagine doing this extra task in the parking lot of wherever you choose to pick up your grocery order and it's a storming or its about 350 degrees and your fighting for your next breath and you have to bag every item. Nope not for me. Takes all the convenience outta picking up your groceries. I don't want any extra step added to any process. It's perfect the way it is now. Leave it alone.

It's all hearsay at this point anyway but for the TOTV'S team I'll check it out with the store manager at Publix and report back tomorrow. I'll even get his or her name.

Last edited by Nucky; 01-20-2020 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,586 Times in 5,184 Posts

I don't like it, but I could probably live with it. However, I will switch to Winn Dixie as long as they provide free plastic bags.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

Also how are they going to deliver the food to the house? Paper bags were made of recycled paper, they didn’t need to be fancy. The thing is I tend to shop when I feel like it or see something. I don’t even carry a purse.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
There was a greeter at Publix yesterday informing people that Publix will be phasing out plastic bags. I was told this new policy will be implemented in the next 2-3 months.

Re-usable bags are $.99 each. I received a re-usable bag key ring as a reminder to bring re-usable bags to Publix. It is cute!
I have and always asked for paper wherever they offer paper bags.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:39 AM
Default Wegman's / plastic bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I'd give up my left pinky finger to get Wegman's down here!
Yes, we also loved Wegman's. We're from Bucks County, Pa. There was a Wegman's in Warrington.
As for the plastic bags, I'm happy to see the restrictions on them. One of my pet peeves is that so many times the person bagging would put one or two items in a plastic bag. Such a waste!
I've been bringing my own bags with me for many years now.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:36 AM

I use the plastic bags the newspaper comes in for poop pickup.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:50 AM

I remember paper bags being phased out when I was young because cockroaches and mice nest in them.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Most of the plastic bags that come from groceries have small slits in the bottom of them. Can you imagine the look on people's faces when the poop they pick up gets all over their fingers?
Who gives a crap?
Old 01-20-2020, 07:05 AM

Amazon needs to stop shipping in boxes stuffed with plastic bubble wrap. They are cutting trees down and destroying the sea and environment.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:10 AM
Veteran member

In Kenya the ban came in on 28 August 2017, threatening up to four years’ imprisonment or fines of $40,000 for anyone producing, selling – or even just carrying – a plastic bag.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourjoy View Post
I use the plastic bags the newspaper comes in for poop pickup.
Yes, but the tree huggers will want to get rid of those as well. Enjoy your soggy paper!
Closed Thread

Tags
publix, bags, re-usable, phasing, plastic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.