Publix phasing out plastic bags

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2020, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
In Kenya the ban came in on 28 August 2017, threatening up to four years’ imprisonment or fines of $40,000 for anyone producing, selling – or even just carrying – a plastic bag.
So now we aspire to be like Kenya???
Old 01-20-2020, 07:28 AM

I was up north in December and not one store had a plastic bag. I walked out of Kohl's carrying my goods in my hands, I was actually laughing because we all looked so funny, no bag even offered. In the Shop Rite I brought the groceries to the car just like at Sam's. No big deal, just keep your cloth bags in your car or cart. People up north are all used to it. We will get that way too.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:30 AM

As a single, spur of the moment, grocer shopper, this doesn't work for me, not to mention ongoing attack on trees. I will focus on Winn-Dixie and Fresh Market going forward.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:36 AM
Sage

How's this for a protest idea:

Load up you cart, let them ring it up, and then ask what they are going to put the groceries into. If they say nothing, just walk away. If enough people do this, they'll change their tune, since it will be more expensive to them than using plastic bags.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:39 AM
Sage

Oh, BTW, In case my previous posts give you the wrong idea about my attitude, I'm all for recycling, saving the environment, etc. I just object to someone else mandating it and shoving it down my throat. George Orwell is mumbling in his grave "I told you so"
Old 01-20-2020, 07:43 AM

I don't have a dog, but when I walked my "granddogs" I would use the plastic bags that our newspapers were delivered in. Perfect size.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Imagine doing this extra task in the parking lot of wherever you choose to pick up your grocery order and it's a storming or its about 350 degrees and your fighting for your next breath and you have to bag every item. Nope not for me. Takes all the convenience outta picking up your groceries. I don't want any extra step added to any process. It's perfect the way it is now. Leave it alone.

It's all hearsay at this point anyway but for the TOTV'S team I'll check it out with the store manager at Publix and report back tomorrow. I'll even get a his or her name.
Well they could just cancel the buy online pickup in store program, which is new, and make you go shopping like you probably had to as recently as a year ago.

Personally I find the concept of ordering food online to be creepy anyway. I won't ever do it. I imagine I'd get home and discover the tomatoes and pears aren't ripe enough and have to bring them back. The ice cream is halfway melted, the meat has way too much fat, they got the wrong type of paper towels (I wanted the choose-your-size not the full size!), and they're missing the pound of butter. Even if just ONE thing isn't perfect, I'd have to make a whole separate trip back to the store to correct it.

So much easier to just go to the store and do it myself. And bring my bags with me.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlride View Post
As a single, spur of the moment, grocer shopper, this doesn't work for me, not to mention ongoing attack on trees. I will focus on Winn-Dixie and Fresh Market going forward.
Easy fix; keep a bag in your car.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Oh, BTW, In case my previous posts give you the wrong idea about my attitude, I'm all for recycling, saving the environment, etc. I just object to someone else mandating it and shoving it down my throat. George Orwell is mumbling in his grave "I told you so"
If this Publix policy is even true, they're not mandating it for you. You are absolutely welcome to buy virgin-plastic heavy-duty garbage bags that have come straight from the oil wells, using coal or deisel fuel to fire up the machines that make it, in a town where the air pollution is so bad you can see the huge gash in the ozone layer without a telescope, and then toss them in your triple-layered extra-heavy garbage bag in your garage the second you get the groceries out of them.

However, you have to bring the bags yourself. That is all. No one is saying you can't use plastic bags. They're saying you may, but Publix is not going to pay for them. That is all.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:05 AM

You can always use paper bags.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:08 AM

Reusable bags need to be washed after each use from the contaminants that store items carry.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by prntxpresn View Post
Reusable bags need to be washed after each use from the contaminants that store items carry.
Only the ones with foods that can contaminate things with. Plastic bag-covered breads, canned goods, paper goods - do not have to be washed after each use.

If you're buying meat, chicken, fish, produce - you can put those in the produce bags that they will continue to provide at the produce section, to keep them from contaminating the bag.

If you use cloth bags, you would want to wash them regularly anyway.

Again - this is not a "thing" in any part of the world where plastic bags are considered a premium product and not offered free at stores.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
If this Publix policy is even true, they're not mandating it for you. You are absolutely welcome to buy virgin-plastic heavy-duty garbage bags that have come straight from the oil wells, using coal or deisel fuel to fire up the machines that make it, in a town where the air pollution is so bad you can see the huge gash in the ozone layer without a telescope, and then toss them in your triple-layered extra-heavy garbage bag in your garage the second you get the groceries out of them.

However, you have to bring the bags yourself. That is all. No one is saying you can't use plastic bags. They're saying you may, but Publix is not going to pay for them. That is all.
Yes, and you are welcome to use your dirty cloth bags that you keep in the trunk of your car, that you drive to the store after filling up with gas that comes from the same oil wells, then drive it bag to your garage with the automatic door opener and light that runs on electricity from the same source. And remember all the time you are doing this, China and India are dumping millions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere and laughing at us
Old 01-20-2020, 08:28 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
There was a greeter at Publix yesterday informing people that Publix will be phasing out plastic bags. I was told this new policy will be implemented in the next 2-3 months.

Re-usable bags are $.99 each. I received a re-usable bag key ring as a reminder to bring re-usable bags to Publix. It is cute!

So Publix thinks plastic bags are destroying the planet -- but they will sell them to you at 99 cents

Last edited by lem001; 01-20-2020 at 08:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-20-2020, 08:42 AM

After unloading your groceries put your reusable bags on the passenger seat in the car, easier to remember to bring them in with you
Closed Thread

Tags
publix, bags, re-usable, phasing, plastic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.