Publix phasing out plastic bags

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2020, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The USA is the second worse polluter after China, so who is laughing at who?
Maybe, but we are also over 25% of the world's total economy. Yes, Luxembourg generates less pollution than the US
Old 01-20-2020, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
I was surprised when I moved here 6 years ago at the number of people who didn't bring their own bags. It had become the norm in my old Florida community.

My son used to work at Albertson's and they offered five cents off if you brought your own bags---and that paltry amount was enough to get people to do it. Someone pointed out, people have no problems doing it at Aldi and Sam'. In England and Ireland on my last trip you had to pay if you wanted a plastic bag.

and if everyone doesn't start becoming a "tree hugger" soon, then our children and grandchildren will pay for it. Even if you re-use them, they are still bad for the environment. You can buy biodegradable poop bags for for less than one cent.

I don't think it's too much to ask. and while they are at it, Publix should go to the same system as Aldi's for cart returns. It only takes 25 cents to get people to bring back a cart.

Americans use 100 billion plastic bags a year, which require 12 million barrels of oil to manufacture.

It only takes about 14 plastic bags for the equivalent of the gas required to drive one mile.

The average American family takes home almost 1,500 plastic shopping bags a year.

According to Waste Management, only 1 percent of plastic bags are returned for recycling. That means that the average family only recycles 15 bags a year; the rest end up in landfills or as litter.

Up to 80 percent of ocean plastic pollution enters the ocean from land.

At least 267 different species have been affected by plastic pollution in the ocean.
100,000 marine animals are killed by plastic bags annually.

One in three leatherback sea turtles have been found with plastic in their stomachs.

Plastic bags are used for an average of 12 minutes

It takes 500 (or more) years for a plastic bag to degrade in a landfill. Unfortunately the bags don't break down completely but instead photo-degrade, becoming microplastics that absorb toxins and continue to pollute the environment.

But, but, but, my "right" not to be inconvenienced or have to worry about this rock we live on after I'm gone...takes precedence. (insert facetious emoji here)

BTW - Excellent post!
Old 01-20-2020, 09:28 AM
Veteran member

I don't like change. I don't like that plastic bags won't be available anymore. I don't like that the choice isn't mine to make. I don't like anything about this. But I DO think reduced plastic usage is a GOOD thing and I'll (grudgingly) accept it.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
......and silly old me thought dinosaurs were extinct!
Old 01-20-2020, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwne View Post
We don't throw plastic bags away, after the groceries are put away, they go into a cloth tube and are available to contain wet, leaky refuse. They also work in the garbage can under the sink, eliminating the need to buy bigger, thicker plastic garbage bags. For those with pets, they are easy to carry for the daily "nature walks".

Paper bags will work for some of these activities and the fabric-based reusable bags will not. This brings to mind a question - what are those reusable fabric bags made of?
Most of them are made with recycled plastic. Some are made with cotton, or cotton/synthetic blend. You can buy some higher-end ones made from bamboo fiber, and there's a grass-roots organization that promotes ones made from banana fiber in Jamaica. You can also make your own out of duct tape and an old tee-shirt.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back9 View Post
"Change" means being forced to do something you don't like, from something that wasn't offensive in the first place. If you liked what you were being force to "change" to, you wouldn't have to be forced to do it.

Isn't eco-pagan bullying wonderful?
I know all about that.

I was forced to change nappies when my kids were small, just never realised my wife was an "eco-pagan bully!"
Old 01-20-2020, 10:08 AM
Lightbulb No plastic bags in europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Paper bags please. Loved them for many purposes.
I remember shopping in Europe and they offered no bags at all, so I only bought what fit in my hand.
When I lived in Europe for 13 years--in the 80s and 90s-- for the most part the citizenry did NOT have large refrigerators, so they shopped nearly every day. Of course, that was a hassle for us Americans because we didn't like going to market every day. However, cloth bags were plentiful and cheap. That's how I did it back then. "When in Rome..." Now, I bring my two large zip-top Sam's/Costco bags with me and which do the trick.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

But, but, but, my "right" not to be inconvenienced or have to worry about this rock we live on after I'm gone...takes precedence. (insert facetious emoji here)

BTW - Excellent post!
No, the hardship you want imposed on everyone else is based on trivia and fear-crazed superstition.

Plastic is harmless when dumped in a landfill ("disposed of properly"). It's only a problem when people litter. Making the 95% of the people who dispose properly suffer because of the 5% who litter is aggressive agenda on your part -- eco-bullying , superstition-crazed, and power hungry.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
So they donate 10cents for every THREE they SELL for $1.00+ each ? So 10c on a $3.00+ sale for an item that cost them likely under 10cents landed for each one. That's better than nothing but falls far below the amount they will save by not purchasing any more plastic bags then SELLING the reusable bags.

Again, I applaud their contribution to the local environment but I can assure you the altruism is based on profits. Not that it shouldn't be, but still it's all for the bottom line and advertising purposes.
Read more slowly. I said 10 cents for each of 3. Not ten cents for every three. Would it have been more clear if I had said 10 cents for each one? Except that wouldn't be true, because they sell many different styles. But of all the styles they sell, only three styles are included in the promotion of donations. So if you buy one of those included styles, 10 cents is donated. If you buy one of 2 of those styles, 20 cents is donated. If you buy one of each of those 3 styles, 30 cents is donated.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:15 AM
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Who gives a crap?
https://4ocean.com/?msclkid=cd9c4cf4...0-%204%20Ocean

You obviously don't. BTW having lived in south Florida I know that cockroaches absolutely love the glue in paper bags. Being a scuba diver it is unbelievable the amount of plastic in the ocean. Watch the 4ocean video.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:18 AM
Platinum member

'
Plastic is harmless when dumped in a landfill ("disposed of properly").
obviously, did not read why plastic bags are bad, so once again....

It takes 500 (or more) years for a plastic bag to degrade in a landfill. Unfortunately the bags don't break down completely but instead photo-degrade, becoming microplastics that absorb toxins and continue to pollute the environment.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Yes, and you are welcome to use your dirty cloth bags that you keep in the trunk of your car, that you drive to the store after filling up with gas that comes from the same oil wells, then drive it bag to your garage with the automatic door opener and light that runs on electricity from the same source. And remember all the time you are doing this, China and India are dumping millions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere and laughing at us
Hyperbole much? As I posted already - cloth bags are washable. I usually take the golf cart to the supermarket, which means I use less than a single gallon of gas monthly to do my grocery shopping. I also don't have a garage.

And China is dumping less now that they've refused to take OUR trash. You did notice there aren't any landfills near The Villages, didn't you? Did you ever think to wonder why not? The answer: it was being transported to China, and to Georgia. China is no longer an option and Georgia is getting full.

It will either have to go somewhere else, or we'll have to stop producing so much in the first place.

If it goes somewhere else, it will cost "bigly" to we, the homeowners and taxpayers.

If we reuse more, discard less, we can reduce the cost of the increase. If you don't mind paying the extra, then please give me your address so I know where to send the bill for -my- trash pickup.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:24 AM
Default Yay!

This is great news! I stopped using single use plastic bags a long time ago. I save bags from products, such as the plastic bag inside a cereal box, the plastic bag that tortillas come in, bread bags… and I use those for scooping kitty litter. I know it seems daunting, but buying plastic bags to scoop your pet’s waste defeats the purpose. Congrats to Publix for demonstrating the need to take action. 😘
Old 01-20-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Hyperbole much? As I posted already - cloth bags are washable. I usually take the golf cart to the supermarket, which means I use less than a single gallon of gas monthly to do my grocery shopping. I also don't have a garage.

And China is dumping less now that they've refused to take OUR trash. You did notice there aren't any landfills near The Villages, didn't you? Did you ever think to wonder why not? The answer: it was being transported to China, and to Georgia. China is no longer an option and Georgia is getting full.

It will either have to go somewhere else, or we'll have to stop producing so much in the first place.

If it goes somewhere else, it will cost "bigly" to we, the homeowners and taxpayers.

If we reuse more, discard less, we can reduce the cost of the increase. If you don't mind paying the extra, then please give me your address so I know where to send the bill for -my- trash pickup.

Thanks.

The simple COUNTY DUMP was turned into an expensive boondoggle by recycling fanatics with too much time on their hands and nothing better to do except make other people's lives miserable, all under the stupid banner of "sustainability".
Old 01-20-2020, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

But, but , but what about all the tree that will be cut down to make paper bags.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
publix, bags, re-usable, phasing, plastic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.